or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › On pattern coordination between jacket/shirt/tie.......................
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

On pattern coordination between jacket/shirt/tie....................... - Page 16

post #226 of 434
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Corbera View Post

Levitt probably never wears a square now because he is dead.

that could change though.
post #227 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

that could change though.

True...I could see Levitt resurrecting himself if he saw a photo of in stitches's lawn. He was opinionated about grass, like most men of distinction.

Levitt would have made a great addition to StyFo:

"An aptitude for clothes was something I evidently was born with, in the same way that Babe Ruth, Mozart, Chris Evert Lloyd and Charles Chaplin were born with aptitudes that, in their respective cases, made them world-famous."
post #228 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Corbera View Post

True...I could see Levitt resurrecting himself if he saw a photo of in stitches's lawn. He was opinionated about grass, like most men of distinction.
Levitt would have made a great addition to StyFo:
"An aptitude for clothes was something I evidently was born with, in the same way that Babe Ruth, Mozart, Chris Evert Lloyd and Charles Chaplin were born with aptitudes that, in their respective cases, made them world-famous."
Fit right in
post #229 of 434
I really like the idea of a "functional solid", as it was put by Manton earlier. This allows some complexity up close, while keeping the overall look uncomplicated.

My take on this today (insert obligatory iPhone-pic apology here):



The tie is a dark brown with a navy grid pattern, and the shirt is a light blue hairline stripe. From more than a few feet away, they are simply a dark brown solid and a light blue solid respectively.
post #230 of 434
My favorite functional solid shirt is an end-on-end in blue or pink. EOE also adds a bit of visual texture that is a nice compliment to textured jackets like tweed.
post #231 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

More on linen. I saw a guy today in a linen pinstripe/chalkstripe and it looked awful. On the other hand, I saw a guy in a linen multicolor houndstooth, on the same block earlier in the day, and it looked great. I am having trouble understanding the blanket objection to patterned linen for sportcoats.

Me too. Crumpled evening in Paris

_DSC4761.jpg
post #232 of 434
I realized that I had four-patterned today, so...

post #233 of 434
I only have linen blended with wool/silk patterned, it offers enough texture that I think it looks fine. Good thread so far, I'm a little mystified by the objection to neat pattern ties with a sport coat.

JP, is that not a blend?
Edited by SkinnyGoomba - 7/23/12 at 11:52am
post #234 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

I realized that I had four-patterned today, so...

suit looks solid
post #235 of 434
Is there really a need for patterned pocket squares in an already over-patterned rig? Ed, can you fallow this one up with a thread on wearing all solids? I'm not terribly opposed to anything in the opening post, I think they're all fine and better than most rigs with 3-4 patterns.
post #236 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviMay View Post

I really like the idea of a "functional solid", as it was put by Manton earlier. This allows some complexity up close, while keeping the overall look uncomplicated.
My take on this today (insert obligatory iPhone-pic apology here):

The tie is a dark brown with a navy grid pattern, and the shirt is a light blue hairline stripe. From more than a few feet away, they are simply a dark brown solid and a light blue solid respectively.

Just my opinion, this needs some adjustments. Starting with a casual version of that shirt, with a button down collar, then ditch the pattern tie for a knit, last remove the square.
post #237 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

Just my opinion, this needs some adjustments. Starting with a casual version of that shirt, with a button down collar, then ditch the pattern tie for a knit, last remove the square.

Yikes.
post #238 of 434
You are in support of wearing a dress shirt with a sports coat? The paring looks off to me. Do you then with a detachable collar formal shirt with a suit?
post #239 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by malat View Post

Yikes.

shog[1].gif

I actually don't own a single button-down. Not a fan. As for the tie, it's barely a pattern, but matter of taste, I guess. I have a few knits, but don't wear them often, as I'm a big dude, and they always look too skinny to me. Lastly, the square is a Hober madder print, and I love it. So there.
post #240 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviMay View Post

I really like the idea of a "functional solid", as it was put by Manton earlier. .

Me too. I need to find something that looks solid from three feet or so but causes your eyes to bleed if you get any closer.

This could be very handy in crowded places where personal space is at a premium like Brazil or airport security..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › On pattern coordination between jacket/shirt/tie.......................