or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Too Many Ties
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Too Many Ties - Page 3

post #31 of 39

I think I have 20-30 ties mostly solids but there are a few patterned ones. What I don't have are bright red ties..nothing flashy.

post #32 of 39
Thread Starter 

Since I rarely wear suits, I realize I need a wider variety of casual ties. I just own one knit tie, I think I could do worse than owning some more.

post #33 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfoverdx View Post

For my part i have more than 30 ties and i am wearing ties everyday. The color of your ties is not good at all, to me ties should be shinny and sophisticated. You should look for some yellow shades, light green shades, blue and navy shades, bodeaux/burgundy,  if you like non shinny pink etc.

It is just a part of my ties, the gray-silver section. I have even more striped ties and some bowties and neckerchiefs.

post #34 of 39
wow, that turned into an interesting discussion. Thanks TreeHorn and Gazzo in particular...

and Thomas I disagree... even if you're travelling, you're still making a public appearance. Every day is an opportunity to shine.



as has been pointed out OP, one of the sources of this problem is actually thrifting rather than shopping. When you shop, you've looked at what you have, assessed what you need/want, and then gone out and searched for it. When you're just 'browsing' or thrifting, it becomes an exercise in what's available rather than what's needed, so inevitably if there's an overabundance of say grey ties in the market, then you end up with many of those even if you already had enough.

As to the point about price, it's easy to get wrapped up in thinking 'well it so cheap!"... instead, ask yourself if you'd want that item regardless of the price. If you love it and would use it, then the fact that it's on sale or can be thrifted for cheap is a bonus, but the price shouldn't come before the purpose IMO. Of course it's not that easy in practice, I just bought a bunch of 'sale' items becuase they were particularly cheap, but I try to at least be conscious of it...


'' A man should look as though he bought his clothes with intelligence, put them on with care, and then forgot all about them.'' -- Hardy Amies
ie take the time to carefully select what works for you and put together looks that are comfortable for you and situationally appropriate and you'll never feel uncomfortable.
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post

I'm currently working on selecting the items I really love and enjoy wearing and getting rid of the rest. Life's too short to wear 'meh' clothes


+1,000
post #36 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post

wow, that turned into an interesting discussion. Thanks TreeHorn and Gazzo in particular...
and Thomas I disagree... even if you're travelling, you're still making a public appearance. Every day is an opportunity to shine.
as has been pointed out OP, one of the sources of this problem is actually thrifting rather than shopping. When you shop, you've looked at what you have, assessed what you need/want, and then gone out and searched for it. When you're just 'browsing' or thrifting, it becomes an exercise in what's available rather than what's needed, so inevitably if there's an overabundance of say grey ties in the market, then you end up with many of those even if you already had enough.
As to the point about price, it's easy to get wrapped up in thinking 'well it so cheap!"... instead, ask yourself if you'd want that item regardless of the price. If you love it and would use it, then the fact that it's on sale or can be thrifted for cheap is a bonus, but the price shouldn't come before the purpose IMO. Of course it's not that easy in practice, I just bought a bunch of 'sale' items becuase they were particularly cheap, but I try to at least be conscious of it...
'' A man should look as though he bought his clothes with intelligence, put them on with care, and then forgot all about them.'' -- Hardy Amies
ie take the time to carefully select what works for you and put together looks that are comfortable for you and situationally appropriate and you'll never feel uncomfortable.

I just came upon this post, and responded with the above.

Reading this last entry, I say 'mea culpa'! I try to buy quality, one really nice tie instead of 10 'meh' ones, but that thought, 'it's so cheap!', or 'what a bargain!', pops into my head, and I go for quantity instead of quality. I'm trying to turn it around, and it's not as easy as I thought to curb that thrifting instinct.

Last week, I went to Leather Soul in BH, to have a look as I was in the market for a pair of brownish shoes for work.

I walked in, saw the selection (and the prices), and was nearly overwhelmed by the choices. I zoomed in on a pair, and Bryan, the manager, helped me. He sized my foot, picked out my size, and provided a pair of socks with which to try on the shoes.

They fit very, very well. Bryan took his time to explain to me about fit and construction, and how I thought my foot was always larger than it actually is, and the experience was very enlightening.

Now, came the moment of truth - should I buy this one pair, which cost more than any other article of clothing I have ever owned? I mean there are other, not as expensive, 'value-for-money' pairs of shoes out there. As a matter of fact, I was telling myself, there were a few pairs on SF that I was eyeing, and the price of these shoes could have afforded me between 2 to 4 pairs of the shoes posted for sale.

My wife pointed out to me that, the shoes were beautiful, appeared well-made, fit me well and would last me forever (relatively speaking). She also pointed out to me that, with this pair which I would have tried in person, would stop, or st least reduce, the hours spent trolling the Internet, looking for shoes, ordering them, receiving them, returning some of them (returned three recently - wrong size), and just the whole hassle that that process brings,

She also asked me if I liked them. I answered in the affirmative and thought to myself that, out of all the shoes that were there, these were the ones I focused on.

So, now I own a beautiful pair of shoes, and the pleasure of wearing them over the next decade or so, will be enjoyed long after the price has been, if not forgotten, then 'amortized'. smile.gif
post #37 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupendous View Post


I just came upon this post, and responded with the above.
Reading this last entry, I say 'mea culpa'! I try to buy quality, one really nice tie instead of 10 'meh' ones, but that thought, 'it's so cheap!', or 'what a bargain!', pops into my head, and I go for quantity instead of quality. I'm trying to turn it around, and it's not as easy as I thought to curb that thrifting instinct.
Last week, I went to Leather Soul in BH, to have a look as I was in the market for a pair of brownish shoes for work.
I walked in, saw the selection (and the prices), and was nearly overwhelmed by the choices. I zoomed in on a pair, and Bryan, the manager, helped me. He sized my foot, picked out my size, and provided a pair of socks with which to try on the shoes.
They fit very, very well. Bryan took his time to explain to me about fit and construction, and how I thought my foot was always larger than it actually is, and the experience was very enlightening.
Now, came the moment of truth - should I buy this one pair, which cost more than any other article of clothing I have ever owned? I mean there are other, not as expensive, 'value-for-money' pairs of shoes out there. As a matter of fact, I was telling myself, there were a few pairs on SF that I was eyeing, and the price of these shoes could have afforded me between 2 to 4 pairs of the shoes posted for sale.
My wife pointed out to me that, the shoes were beautiful, appeared well-made, fit me well and would last me forever (relatively speaking). She also pointed out to me that, with this pair which I would have tried in person, would stop, or st least reduce, the hours spent trolling the Internet, looking for shoes, ordering them, receiving them, returning some of them (returned three recently - wrong size), and just the whole hassle that that process brings,
She also asked me if I liked them. I answered in the affirmative and thought to myself that, out of all the shoes that were there, these were the ones I focused on.
So, now I own a beautiful pair of shoes, and the pleasure of wearing them over the next decade or so, will be enjoyed long after the price has been, if not forgotten, then 'amortized'. smile.gif

All true, but there's no way I could afford the kind of clothes I like if I had to buy them retail.

post #38 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bafe View Post

All true, but there's no way I could afford the kind of clothes I like if I had to buy them retail.

Totally agree! Thank goodness for sales, outlet malls, sales at outlet malls and SF! biggrin.gif
post #39 of 39

Might be a silly question that has already been answered, but is there a thread dedicated to those trying to purge wardrobes? I'd love to see something like the Thrift Bragging Threads/Good Taste Thread where we can post well-made goods to sell to each other, other than the market-place? I find when I posted a slew of sports-coats and suits to sell, it got gobbled up on B/S?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Too Many Ties