or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread - Page 901

post #13501 of 14670
Wait there's other auctions besides spoo? Well that's just crazy talk!
post #13502 of 14670
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post


Fwiw, rayon is derived from a plant fiber.

Oh really? I also thought of it as a synthetic like polyester but is it more like cotton/hemp in feel?

post #13503 of 14670
A Martin Greenfield suit for $65CAD, shipped. Not a bad score.
post #13504 of 14670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spruce Moose View Post
 

Oh really? I also thought of it as a synthetic like polyester but is it more like cotton/hemp in feel?

Comes from bamboo, I think. 

post #13505 of 14670
Quote:
Originally Posted by dappercanadian View Post

Comes from bamboo, I think. 

If only there was some sort of online service that would let us search for "source of rayon" or something like that.
post #13506 of 14670
If you won the purple tweed Phineas Cole and it doesn't work out for you, please PM me first.
post #13507 of 14670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spruce Moose View Post

Man those Isaia summer shirts looked awesome but it's hard to justify the cost when I have so so many dress shirts so I let them slip. Still won three items, the highlight of which were those very light gray, Flannel Isaia pants on the nice red label. Hopefully they're not too wide as I've never tried Isaia.

Not sure how that Rayon Corn jacket is going to work/look. I read an interview from Ralph Lauren that polyesters can be very very expensive and drape the body better so we'll see. Not too familiar with that Corn label but looked pretty recent?

Last but not least a corn polo

My items from last week showed up on Friday and just wanted to say, Spoo, you're the best and the ONLY auction I follow every week.

If the pants are too wide just get them slimmed - that's what I do - Magic Tailor on Yonge does a great job.
post #13508 of 14670
Quote:
Originally Posted by flvinny521 View Post
 

 

Can you comment on what sizes you wear in other makers?


Wait, there are other makers?  :facepalm: 

 

My Alden plain toes boots (Barrie 8D) fit just fine with boot socks.

post #13509 of 14670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spruce Moose View Post
 

Oh really? I also thought of it as a synthetic like polyester but is it more like cotton/hemp in feel?


it's a synthetic, which is synthesized from natural cellulosic material like wood pulp, etc. the process sounds like they liquefy plant material and then reconstitute it into an extruded filament essentially similar to the filament of a silkworm (when they unwind a cocoon it's one long strand).

 

rayon can be made to imitate many fibers. old school (like 1940s old skool) aloha shirts are often 100% rayon as a stand in for silk. i have a true vintage 40s "kabe crepe" japanese rayon shirt that is an absolutely amazing fabric. modern stuff is dogshit in comparison, no kidding. takes dye vibrantly. (i should post to the vintage thread...)

 

rayon is also usually the third part of the hallowed "tri-blend" t shirts of the 70s and 80s. it gives sheen and body and stability but acts sort of like a cross between silk and a fine linen. afaik it can be spun as worsted or woolen so very versatile indeed.

 

there is something else called viscose which is very very similar to rayon and used in basically the same ways. 

 

ok i'll leave this thread now.

post #13510 of 14670
Quote:
Originally Posted by usctrojans31 View Post

If you won the purple tweed Phineas Cole and it doesn't work out for you, please PM me first.
No, me!
post #13511 of 14670
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeedMachine View Post


If only there was some sort of online service that would let us search for "source of rayon" or something like that.

Yes, you are right but I was more interested in the feel and insight about the cloth coming from a high end manufacturer like Corneliani. I suspect it to be different than what you find at your local department store. From Google, the source can vary, and can be bamboo. I can't seem to find what Corneliani uses.

 

Anyhow, I appreciate the info everyone posted. Thank you

post #13512 of 14670
Quote:
Originally Posted by double00 View Post


it's a synthetic, which is synthesized from natural cellulosic material like wood pulp, etc. the process sounds like they liquefy plant material and then reconstitute it into an extruded filament essentially similar to the filament of a silkworm (when they unwind a cocoon it's one long strand).

rayon can be made to imitate many fibers. old school (like 1940s old skool) aloha shirts are often 100% rayon as a stand in for silk. i have a true vintage 40s "kabe crepe" japanese rayon shirt that is an absolutely amazing fabric. modern stuff is dogshit in comparison, no kidding. takes dye vibrantly. (i should post to the vintage thread...)

rayon is also usually the third part of the hallowed "tri-blend" t shirts of the 70s and 80s. it gives sheen and body and stability but acts sort of like a cross between silk and a fine linen. afaik it can be spun as worsted or woolen so very versatile indeed.

there is something else called viscose which is very very similar to rayon and used in basically the same ways. 

ok i'll leave this thread now.

Because it's synthesized from natural materials, it's categorized as a "semi-synthetic".

Frankly, the use of the term synthetic as a synonym for materials made from oil products is confusing and a legacy of extremely good marketing by the cotton industry.
post #13513 of 14670
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

Because it's synthesized from natural materials, it's categorized as a "semi-synthetic".

Frankly, the use of the term synthetic as a synonym for materials made from oil products is confusing and a legacy of extremely good marketing by the cotton industry.

Its good to see you around here, Fok.
post #13514 of 14670
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

bet you've never seen this before.

In 6.5:embar:?

 

Actually saw the StC Drakes when I was at the Drakes shop in London.

post #13515 of 14670
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchapiro View Post

In 6.5shog%5B1%5D.gif?

Actually saw the StC Drakes when I was at the Drakes shop in London.

12 F… :/
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread