or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Black shoes for a baby lawyer
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Black shoes for a baby lawyer - Page 4

post #46 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAz3D View Post

Two pair of same shoe in different colors is okay yeah?

Yes.

And don't pay for tongue pads. They give them away with shoes, particularly at Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's. Even if you forget to ask for them when you buy the shoes, you can always go back and request them later and they'll give you a few pairs. No sweat.
post #47 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Face View Post

Don't fall for that one. They offer those "merit" scholarships to lots of prospective students, not telling them that most of the students won't be able to maintain the GPA required to keep the scholarship. Furthermore, there is a ton of bullshit required just to become a licensed attorney. And at least twice as much to be a happy and successful one. You've dodged a bullet, son. There are a lot of other jobs with less stress and more money. I suggest you examine your options.

+1
post #48 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAz3D View Post

I'm at a T3 school. I've never had aspirations for Big Law, so it works for me. Got into a better school and turned it for this. I'm not in this "game" to hate my life.

+1. I went to a T3 school and don't regret it. Unlike quite a few people I know that went to T1 or T2 or even finished at the top of their class in any tier, I am happily married, spend time with my kids, like my clients and don't have a drinking problem. The problem with caring too much about what rank you / your school are is that you will work one day for a firm that cares only about those things. And those places are full of assholes.
post #49 of 90
If you go to a T3 school good luck with any legal job.
post #50 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Face View Post


+1. I went to a T3 school and don't regret it. Unlike quite a few people I know that went to T1 or T2 or even finished at the top of their class in any tier, I am happily married, spend time with my kids, like my clients and don't have a drinking problem. The problem with caring too much about what rank you / your school are is that you will work one day for a firm that cares only about those things. And those places are full of assholes.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns23 View Post

If you go to a T3 school good luck with any legal job.

 

You're both spouting the typical party lines on this issue wherein the truth lies in between.  Going to a T3 school can be a good idea if it is in the same geographical area where you want to eventually practice.  Many successful Chicago lawyers come from the local lower tier schools.  Do you need to be at the top of your class to get a job?  Yes.  Will it open as many doors if you move to another state?  No. 

 

As for the notion that every T1 grad's life ends in alcoholism, divorce and alienated kids, that just comes off as sour grapes.

post #51 of 90
Ferragamo Tramezza special edition.
post #52 of 90

Nothing against T3 schools but.

This mantra was indoctrinated in me by a certain law school forum: "T14" or bust".

I didn't get a T14 offer this cycle so I'm retaking the LSAT (I hate this test with a passion).

Not sure how relevant this is but I scored a 178 on my last practice test (averaging 172+) so I'm pretty confident I can at least score high enough for guaranteed full ride offers to certain T20-30 schools which I would still take over my current offers.

 

Also:

In this case I'm not sure how going to a T1/T2 over a T3 would lead to a drinking problem.

I'm assuming drinking problems stem from having huge loans to pay off and Big Law being the only option to pay them back in a timely manner.  If things go my way in October, I don't plan on having to pay any tuition for law school so my debt load would be the same going to a T1 or a T3 (room and board and food costs).

post #53 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post


You're both spouting the typical party lines on this issue wherein the truth lies in between.  Going to a T3 school can be a good idea if it is in the same geographical area where you want to eventually practice.  Many successful Chicago lawyers come from the local lower tier schools.  Do you need to be at the top of your class to get a job?  Yes.  Will it open as many doors if you move to another state?  No. 

As for the notion that every T1 grad's life ends in alcoholism, divorce and alienated kids, that just comes off as sour grapes.

Not quite. Even top 5% at a t2 or t3 school does not give you a good shot at a good job. I don't know if you are familiar with how bad the legal job market actually is.
post #54 of 90
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

 

 

You're both spouting the typical party lines on this issue wherein the truth lies in between.  Going to a T3 school can be a good idea if it is in the same geographical area where you want to eventually practice.  Many successful Chicago lawyers come from the local lower tier schools.  Do you need to be at the top of your class to get a job?  Yes.  Will it open as many doors if you move to another state?  No. 

 

As for the notion that every T1 grad's life ends in alcoholism, divorce and alienated kids, that just comes off as sour grapes.

Truth.

 

I've met people that went to Michigan and Texas Tech, and are doing about the same thing w/law. It isn't always only the degree...knowing people helps tons.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post

Nothing against T3 schools but.

This mantra was indoctrinated in me by a certain law school forum: "T14" or bust".

I didn't get a T14 offer this cycle so I'm retaking the LSAT (I hate this test with a passion).

Not sure how relevant this is but I scored a 178 on my last practice test (averaging 172+) so I'm pretty confident I can at least score high enough for guaranteed full ride offers to certain T20-30 schools which I would still take over my current offers.

 

Also:

In this case I'm not sure how going to a T1/T2 over a T3 would lead to a drinking problem.

I'm assuming drinking problems stem from having huge loans to pay off and Big Law being the only option to pay them back in a timely manner.  If things go my way in October, I don't plan on having to pay any tuition for law school so my debt load would be the same going to a T1 or a T3 (room and board and food costs).

 

Whatever works, man. I have a friend that went to North Dakota and had a 176 LSAT. UND worked better for her situation. *shrug*

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns23 View Post


Not quite. Even top 5% at a t2 or t3 school does not give you a good shot at a good job. I don't know if you are familiar with how bad the legal job market actually is.
 

Top salary out of Texas Tech for graduating class of 2010 (IIRC) was $145k. That sounds like enough to pay down some debt and live comfortably. A former USA of New Mexico is from Tech. Uhm...you can do well, so long as you aren't really aiming for some elitist firm in NYC. UNM and TTU both have very productive graduates.

post #55 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAz3D View Post

Truth.

 

I've met people that went to Michigan and Texas Tech, and are doing about the same thing w/law. It isn't always only the degree...knowing people helps tons.

 

 

 

Whatever works, man. I have a friend that went to North Dakota and had a 176 LSAT. UND worked better for her situation. *shrug*

 

 

 

Top salary out of Texas Tech for graduating class of 2010 (IIRC) was $145k. That sounds like enough to pay down some debt and live comfortably. A former USA of New Mexico is from Tech. Uhm...you can do well, so long as you aren't really aiming for some elitist firm in NYC. UNM and TTU both have very productive graduates.

I do not disagree with this statement. Rank 1/230 at any school will probably earn a similar salary.

But, what about the 229/230 that aren't top of their respective classes?

post #56 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post

I do not disagree with this statement. Rank 1/230 at any school will probably earn a similar salary.
But, what about the 229/230 that aren't top of their respective classes?

Exactly. What about 2-20. It would be a miracle if half had jobs upon graduation. Maybe half half a dozen had 6 figure jobs.
post #57 of 90

If you haven't already done so, I am going to plead with you one last time to not get the Strands in black. If you want a formal black shoe, get the Park Avenue and get the Strands in walnut.

post #58 of 90
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post

I do not disagree with this statement. Rank 1/230 at any school will probably earn a similar salary.

But, what about the 229/230 that aren't top of their respective classes?

Bottom of an elite school is also gonna have a helluva time trying to find work. *shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

If you haven't already done so, I am going to plead with you one last time to not get the Strands in black. If you want a formal black shoe, get the Park Avenue and get the Strands in walnut.

shog[1].gif

post #59 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAz3D View Post

Bottom of an elite school is also gonna have a helluva time trying to find work. *shrug*

shog%5B1%5D.gif

But the point in class ranking where it becomes more likely that you won't have a good job is much higher at a lower ranked school.

I'm generalizing (not factually based) to make a point: A run-of-the-mill median student at Northwestern will be much better off than a top 10% student at Cooley.

 

And I'll also second that Walnut Strand comment.

Personally I went with the Black PAs and the Brown Cordovan Strands.  Black Strand was not even something I considered.

Needed the black shoe for a more professional/formal setting, and that the Strand is brogue makes it less formal as I'd like/need.

post #60 of 90
Thread Starter 

I spose I can always return and get PAs or 5thAs black...we'll see.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Black shoes for a baby lawyer