or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Critics hate RL's US Olympic Team Uniforms
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Critics hate RL's US Olympic Team Uniforms - Page 5

post #61 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturdays View Post

Looks like RL responded, with possibly the best response ever.
They simply pledged they will make the uniforms in USA for the 2014 olympics, hope that at least shuts up most of the critics.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-olympic-fashion-20120714,0,750826.story

No Presidential elections in 2014...
post #62 of 152
Why is the polo pony soooo small on the blazer?

Who seated in the nose bleeds will see that?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
240

Ruff-ruff-ruff!
U - S - A!
Ruff-ruff-ruff!


Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
231
Indeed. SAD. The sign says it all.

Edited by curzon - 7/14/12 at 4:50am
post #63 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by curzon View Post

Why is the polo pony soooo small on the blazer?
Who seated in the nose bleeds will see that?
 

+1     How else will we know who made these fantastic uniforms and where to get one for ourselves?

post #64 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturdays View Post

Looks like RL responded, with possibly the best response ever.
They simply pledged they will make the uniforms in USA for the 2014 olympics, hope that at least shuts up most of the critics.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-olympic-fashion-20120714,0,750826.story

I am a big Polo fan, but really -- they didn't think about making the US Olympic uniforms in China prior to announcing?

post #65 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by matsui View Post

If you really want "true American" style for the US Olympic Team, just go back to the 1980's Winter Olympics when Levi's was a sponsor, and athletes wore sherpa trucker jackets, cowboy hats, and jeans
1984 Sarajevo
231
1980 Lake Placid
230
177

That was a great uniform...
post #66 of 152

I wonder if all the critics realize that if this was made in the states they probably would be paying twice as much as the current retail price. Which would lead to another kind of controversy about RL not making clothes that real Americans can afford. It almost seems like a no win situation here.

post #67 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus Rex View Post

Critics have panned Ralph Lauren's designs for the U.S. Olympic team. What do you think? One calls it a cross between English prep school and Mr. Howell on Gilligan's Island...
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/critics-u-opening-ceremony-look-211214822--oly.html

WTF? With the Polo Horse on the blazer pocket instead of the Olympic rings? Who let him get away with that?
post #68 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post

I would have preferred something truly American hat
]

274
post #69 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportin_life View Post


Seriously though, it shouldn't be too hard to make someone with Olympic physique look good.

235
post #70 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirailleur1 View Post

I wonder if all the critics realize that if this was made in the states they probably would be paying twice as much as the current retail price. Which would lead to another kind of controversy about RL not making clothes that real Americans can afford. It almost seems like a no win situation here.

Sure it wouldn't double the retail price for Ralph Lauren to make apparel in the USA, rather than China, Might reduce their high mark-up and vast profits though. It's $800 blazers, $300 trousers, $125 ties, $90 shirts, $165 shoes and $55 berets, I'm sure these could all be American made, and RL still makes a good profit on them. But would anyone buy this Olympic stuff that looks like flight attendant uniforms anyway?...probably not.
Edited by MikeDT - 7/14/12 at 9:04am
post #71 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicola View Post

235

It's a good job Sumo is not an Olympic sport.
370
post #72 of 152
Quote:
That was a great uniform.

 

Agree! The jacket is something that a lot of people would actually wear on a semi-regular basis, as are the jeans. And, of course, it's American with a capital A.

post #73 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDT View Post

Sure it wouldn't double the retail price for Ralph Lauren to make apparel in the USA, rather than China, Might reduce their high mark-up and vast profits though. It's $800 blazers, $300 trousers, $125 ties, $90 shirts, $165 shoes and $55 berets, I'm sure these could all be American made, and RL still makes a good profit on them. But would anyone buy this Olympic stuff that looks like flight attendant uniforms anyway?...probably not.


Isn't the big point of the US that it's capitalistic? Companies are free to charge whatever the want, and make whatever profit they want?

If people really wanted American manufacturing to come back to the country they gotta make the place more business friendly.
post #74 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYstyle View Post


Isn't the big point of the US that it's capitalistic? Companies are free to charge whatever the want, and make whatever profit they want?
If people really wanted American manufacturing to come back to the country they gotta make the place more business friendly.

 

You outsource when materials are cheap and labor is expensive.

 

You insource when materials are expensive and labor is cheap.

 

Right now labor in America is cheap -- it's the unions, bureaucracy and tax codes that keep things overseas.  America could easily compete on the global stage, imo.

 

I'd like to meet the bonehead(s) at Ralph that thought it would be a good idea to have the uniforms made in China taking into account the current unemployment rate, and the overall negative attitude towards jobs being shipped overseas.

post #75 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie22 View Post

You outsource when materials are cheap and labor is expensive.

You insource when materials are expensive and labor is cheap.

Right now labor in America is cheap -- it's the unions, bureaucracy and tax codes that keep things overseas.  America could easily compete on the global stage.

How can you compete with people paid less than 600 hundreds dollars a month?

They always be a lot cheaper than your own workforce..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Critics hate RL's US Olympic Team Uniforms