or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Made To Measure suits online?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Made To Measure suits online? - Page 3

post #31 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR View Post


More advertising. What is your connection with them?

 

Sorry, who are you??

post #32 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post
 

 

I can now answer this myself.  I e-mailed Suit Row and asked if their suits are canvassed.  Here's their reply (which was startlingly quick for late on a Sunday afternoon, by the way):

"All of our suits have a floating chest canvas but we can make it fully
canvassed for a small extra price of £50."

 

That's a bit encouraging, I think.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

 

I was about to say it has a floating chest piece but you have emailed them direct.

post #33 of 44

What a weird, prissy little jerk you are.  I like my suit....it fits really well, especially after I had the seat taken out an inch, and has garnered quite a few compliments.  Maybe you need more help to look good....I can't say, of course.  But I come off just fine with cheap MTM attire.

 

Alas, poor you.

 

For those of you who aren't weird little jerks, I availed myself of the three for $99 shirt deal that the company offers.  Two of the shirts, of end-on-end and oxford, are fine but the third is of a fabric which, when washed, shrank a great deal...a full size, at least, in the arms and body.  Beware fabric CKH-029.  The other fabrics aren't the greatest shirtings I've seen, but the fit is perfect.

 

I emailed the company yesterday, but have yet to hear back.

post #34 of 44
please post a picture of the perfect shirts.
are they as perfect as your suit.
which has lots of problems
but for the few hundred dollars you paid, I guess i have seen worse.
post #35 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by geschichtlich View Post

What a weird, prissy little jerk you are.  I like my suit....it fits really well, especially after I had the seat taken out an inch, and has garnered quite a few compliments.  Maybe you need more help to look good....I can't say, of course.  But I come off just fine with cheap MTM attire.

Alas, poor you.

For those of you who aren't weird little jerks, I availed myself of the three for $99 shirt deal that the company offers.  Two of the shirts, of end-on-end and oxford, are fine but the third is of a fabric which, when washed, shrank a great deal...a full size, at least, in the arms and body.  Beware fabric CKH-029.  The other fabrics aren't the greatest shirtings I've seen, but the fit is perfect.

I emailed the company yesterday, but have yet to hear back.

You are easily satisfied if you think that good and that is after letting the seat out by an INCH. The more that you protest in this unseemly way merely serves to confirm that you are advertising.
post #36 of 44

You're right, you're right....I am easily satisfied by a suit that fits me perfectly well and cost me a whopping $140.  Call me crazy....or call me anything you like.  But don't call me a weird, prissy little jerk with a maniacal paranoia.

 

If you spent half as much time refining your grasp of English grammar as you obviously have refining your vulnerability to advertising, your posts would be enjoyably, bitingly paranoid, instead of weird.  Keep working at it.  Some folks need more time with 4th grade grammar than others.

 

As regards your request, Shirtmaven, I'll make a point of taking some photos as soon as I can.

post #37 of 44
Your suit is not perfect
I have been in the custom clothing business for over 30 years.
not the worst I have ever seen.

If you had another suit made, I would suggest sending some photos along.
the fronts are crossing.
the front button placement looks off causing the pockets to look uneven.

I don't remember if you fixed the trousers, but they are too tight across the front.

Corners are cut to make a suit that inexpensively. an extra $50 for a canvas will not make the fit any better

I can't imagine what the fabric for the shirts feel like at that price.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with buying clothing online, just
keep your expectations low.
post #38 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven View Post

Your suit is not perfect
I have been in the custom clothing business for over 30 years.
not the worst I have ever seen.

If you had another suit made, I would suggest sending some photos along.
the fronts are crossing.
the front button placement looks off causing the pockets to look uneven.

I don't remember if you fixed the trousers, but they are too tight across the front.

Corners are cut to make a suit that inexpensively. an extra $50 for a canvas will not make the fit any better

I can't imagine what the fabric for the shirts feel like at that price.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with buying clothing online, just
keep your expectations low.

 

Hi there,

 
First, Shirtmaven, great to meet another tailor. I don't quite have a 30 year run, but 12 years made up mostly of Gieves & Hawkes and our own workshop in the North of England.
 
I totally agree with you on the point of fit. It really does need alot of work but I think, for value, it does the job. As I mentioned in a previous post, we used to sell our bespoke suits for a few grand and this online suit doesnt come close. But the important thing here is not for us to compare, rather see the fact that most people (In the UK at least) simply can not afford bespoke or even £500 MTM prices.
 
People are quite happy to pay £250+ for a RTW designer suit that doesnt look great, so why not a sort of in between, tailored but not bespoke, for alot less.
 
Another reason why I'm not keen on people trying to compare (Not you Shirtmaven) is because a number of years back, I had a dear friend who had no job but was trying so hard to find one in mens retail. He had 4 kids and times were very tough. He actually was unable to eat 3 meals a day things were that hard. Anyway, he went out a purchased a cheap (£89) suit from the high street for interviews. Nearly every interview he went too, they questioned his understanding of menswear due to the cheap suit he had on..Shocking or what. Long story short, I actually made me a lovely dark grey super 120.
 
My point is, all he needed was a half decent suit. He wasnt interested in all this 'bespoke' arrogance like whats on here. I'm shocked at the sheer snobbery I read on some of the threads.
 
Most people don't care about all of what we do as tailors. All they want is a suit that looks nice. And nice is different for everyone.
 
So, honestly, if anyone has got the time to fault find with a chap who was simply saying how he felt he was happy, then the people fault finding really need to focus on more important things in life.
 
Shirtmaven - None of that is aimed at you. You seem like a gent, so total respect from my side. 
post #39 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven View Post

Your suit is not perfect
I have been in the custom clothing business for over 30 years.
not the worst I have ever seen.

If you had another suit made, I would suggest sending some photos along.
the fronts are crossing.
the front button placement looks off causing the pockets to look uneven.

I don't remember if you fixed the trousers, but they are too tight across the front.

Corners are cut to make a suit that inexpensively. an extra $50 for a canvas will not make the fit any better

I can't imagine what the fabric for the shirts feel like at that price.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with buying clothing online, just
keep your expectations low.

I would also narrow the shoulders if you get another suit. I see the sleevehead hanging further out than the rest of your arm.
post #40 of 44

I just wanted to add my $0.02 that being in this line of business, it's not easy to find affordable options for suits. Kudos to you for being able to find a suit that you not only liked but was at a very affordable price! 

post #41 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAstonBespo View Post
 

 

[...]
 
I totally agree with you on the point of fit. It really does need alot of work but I think, for value, it does the job. As I mentioned in a previous post, we used to sell our bespoke suits for a few grand and this online suit doesnt come close. But the important thing here is not for us to compare, rather see the fact that most people (In the UK at least) simply can not afford bespoke or even £500 MTM prices.
 
People are quite happy to pay £250+ for a RTW designer suit that doesnt look great, so why not a sort of in between, tailored but not bespoke, for alot less.
 
[...]
 

 

Everything about this post was such a model of civility and common sense that I was tempted to quote the whole thing. 

 

In any event, thanks to HenryAstonBespoke.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #42 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post
 

 

Everything about this post was such a model of civility and common sense that I was tempted to quote the whole thing. 

 

In any event, thanks to HenryAstonBespoke.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

 

Thank you Ac.

 
Just as a note, I have placed an order for a 3 piece suit with ONE of the online tailors mentioned here..I won't dare say which one in case I get snapped at for advertising by the people with nothing else to do. Got really fast email responses which is great. When I get my suit, in around 5 weeks I'm told, I will review it next to ours.
post #43 of 44

Hello,

 

So this is our first post on style forum. We will launch an official Suit Row thread shortly.

 

First of all, thank you for any positive comments made here regarding Suit Row. We truly appreciate it.

 

For the negative comments - We agree that many tailored suits go wrong online and it is for that that reason we started our business...to do it properly. 

 

Mr Henry Aston, thanks for your order and we look forward to your review.

 

What we would say is this. Please, we invite anyone to talk to us. Tell us what you think is needed. Tell us were other online tailors go wrong so we don't.

 

Suit Row is a new business so please forgive any of the teething issues with our site etc.

 

Kind Regards

 

Charles

post #44 of 44

A couple of quick shots taken at work today of my second suit from everythingbespoke.com, with which I'm more satisfied for a couple of reasons.  First, I gave myself an additional 1.5 inches in the seat and thighs, making the pants more comfortable and practical than those of the first suit.  Second, I only paid $104, which included the thirty dollar cost of shipping.  The company periodically runs eBay specials, knocking a few tens of dollars off the price as denominated in Australian dollars, and I jumped at the last one.  In all, it worked out pretty well.

 

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=28ba7099f9&view=att&th=1420539d94dd4fc0&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_hndeey630&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P8ApZloJ7MNBodiauz17gvn&sadet=1383156210115&sads=lFEM9K0un6M7wsP4J9gYFTST7XE

 

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=28ba7099f9&view=att&th=1420539d94dd4fc0&attid=0.2&disp=inline&realattid=f_hndefdld1&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P8ApZloJ7MNBodiauz17gvn&sadet=1383156242266&sads=bV9msDkcVyxJV1NnBxm2qONHEBU


Edited by geschichtlich - 10/30/13 at 11:04am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Made To Measure suits online?