or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Wedding Suit Help
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wedding Suit Help

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Bought this Hugo Boss off the rack for my wedding.  Bloomingdales was having a ridiculous sale so I decided to go OTR vs. bespoke to save some cash/wedding costs.  Generally speaking, it fits well and comfortably, but there are a few things I'm debating whether to get tailored or not. So far the only thing I've had altered is the jacket sleeve length and the pant length.  I have an athletic build, 32/33 waist, but thick rear end and thighs due to years of squats and sports. 

 

Can you guys please let me know your thoughts areas that may need some tweaking?   Please ignore any issues with the shirt, it was the only thing I had clean!

 

Photos here: http://flickr.com/gp/thehitelife/u8Jq20/

 

Thanks much. 

post #2 of 13
Can you return it?
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

Can you return it?

Lol brutttallll
post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 

Constructive feedback is most appreciated.

post #5 of 13
Pants are way too tight. Either let them out or size up. Your pockets shouldn't billow out like that, and the material should hang cleanly at the back.

I would also get a slightly longer jacket. Find a more classic cut that hangs better. The jacket doesn't compliment your physique.
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphite View Post

Bought this Hugo Boss off the rack for my wedding.  Bloomingdales was having a ridiculous sale so I decided to go OTR vs. bespoke to save some cash/wedding costs.  Generally speaking, it fits well and comfortably, but there are a few things I'm debating whether to get tailored or not. So far the only thing I've had altered is the jacket sleeve length and the pant length.  I have an athletic build, 32/33 waist, but thick rear end and thighs due to years of squats and sports. 

Can you guys please let me know your thoughts areas that may need some tweaking?   Please ignore any issues with the shirt, it was the only thing I had clean!

Photos here: http://flickr.com/gp/thehitelife/u8Jq20/

Thanks much. 

That was your first mistake.

Seriously, this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-H View Post

Pants are way too tight. Either let them out or size up. Your pockets shouldn't billow out like that, and the material should hang cleanly at the back.
I would also get a slightly longer jacket. Find a more classic cut that hangs better. The jacket doesn't compliment your physique.

Also regarding the jacket, it seems too tight for you, judging by the stress marks where it is buttoned.

Welcome to SF!
post #7 of 13
Far too small for you - espcially trousers - false economy but as you have had it altered you are landed with it.
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphite View Post

Constructive feedback is most appreciated.

Sorry I wasn't trying to be a dick just wanted to ask that first before giving more feedback because that would be the best route IMHO if it were possible.

That said, you're going to like what I say next. If it were me, I would just try to sell it or give it to somebody that could use it or just donate it. There's a lot that's wrong with the jacket that would be either impossible, difficult, or expensive to fix. The lapels are far too skinny for you, the jacket is too short, and the jacket and pants are too tight. Your options are:

1) get rid of it and move on, trying to find a better fit next time
2) wear it as is
3) spend some more money (maybe $100-200 for all the alterations you could have done by a good tailor that would improve fit) that will get it looking better, but still not very good in my opinion.

So it depends on your preferences, how you want your eventual suit to look, and how much money you want to spend. Since it's for your wedding, and you want to look great both for the occasion itself and for the photos that you will look at for years, I'd make the investment to really look great. Take a look around the forum and try and learn what a really great fitting suit looks like before going any further. Once you can tell the difference between that and what your suit looks like now, go shopping again.
post #9 of 13
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 

This is really great feedback - I only own one other suit, so shopping for them apparently isn't my forte.  I thought I could go with a slimmer cut, but may just need to admit that I can't pull that off.  

 

If I were to dump this suit, what are my best options for off the rack suits for my build?  What's the consensus on SF for JCrew Ludlow?  

 

Unfortunately, I think I'm too close to the wedding to go bespoke at this point.  


Edited by aphite - 7/7/12 at 2:08pm
post #11 of 13
Don't worry about getting bespoke. It's not necessary. Read this first:

http://www.styleforum.net/a/what-kind-of-suit-should-i-buy

then go try on a bunch of suits in a dept store.
post #12 of 13
Thread Starter 

Thanks all. I'm closing this thread and going back to the drawing board.

post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphite View Post

This is really great feedback - I only own one other suit, so shopping for them apparently isn't my forte.  I thought I could go with a slimmer cut, but may just need to admit that I can't pull that off.  

 

If I were to dump this suit, what are my best options for off the rack suits for my build?  What's the consensus on SF for JCrew Ludlow?  

 

Unfortunately, I think I'm too close to the wedding to go bespoke at this point.  


You are leaving out so much in the middle. Bespoke is like $3k plus, and on the other end you settled on a suit that probably cost you $200. Since the wedding is close, you probably can't do made-to-measure (unless you have 2 months or more). Just allocate $100 or so in your budget for alterations.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Wedding Suit Help