Related Forum Threads
- Styleforum 2014 Holiday Charity Auctions - 100% of proceeds go to support the Ronald McDonald... Last post on 4/2/15 at 3:45pm in Classic Menswear
- The Grad Lounge Last post on Today at 1:40 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Today at 7:44 pm in Classic Menswear
- Style crimes: fit vs formality Last post on 8/12/12 at 4:16am in Classic Menswear
- Possible New Suit + Tips Last post on 6/11/12 at 4:56pm in Classic Menswear
Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...
Last edited: 6/22/15
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the BlueLast edited: 4/13/15
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 9.18.12Last edited: 1/4/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Slight Step Up In Style For Workpost #1 of 107/6/12 at 6:01pmThread StarterAt my job I have suddenly found myself advancing into management, and wanted to ask for some advice. I work at a company where the dress code would be best described as "casual business casual", and most of the department I work in wears your standard company provided polo shirt, jeans and loafers/sneakers. I have tried to step up my clothing choices slightly, and usually wear decent jeans (Varvatos USA/Commonwealth), a fairly nice untucked long-sleeved dress shirt (Thomas Pink/Takumi/Ben Sherman) and for shoes I wear either brown Frye James wingtips in brown or lead (grey) John Varvatos Star Strummer Oxfords. I am picking up a black waxed pair of Allen Edmonds McTavishes at the upcoming Nordstrom sale, and I also plan on looking into MTM shirts in the next couple months, as I'm close enough to Mytailor to stop into their Costa Mesa showroom for a fitting/purchasing trip.I'm assuming some nice chinos would be next (suggestions?), and I'd also like to step up to some nice dress slacks to wear with a tie (the directors in my department have started something they call Tie Tuesdays, kind of an anti-casual Friday). Suits and jackets are pretty much off the menu, as even our executives don't dress that nicely on a regular basis and I'm not planning on showing anyone up.I guess what I'm asking is what would be the easiest and non-wallet busting way to make that next step up in my wardrobe. I do like a lot of what is offered on Mr. Porter, but please see the previous comment regarding "non-wallet busting". Their sale items are much more my speed, financially :) Thanks in advance!
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2 of 107/9/12 at 1:29pmpost #3 of 107/9/12 at 1:41pmpost #4 of 107/9/12 at 2:10pmpost #5 of 107/9/12 at 2:13pmpost #6 of 107/9/12 at 3:05pmpost #7 of 107/9/12 at 3:24pmpost #8 of 107/9/12 at 4:39pmQuote:
If you can visit Mytailor in person, I think it would be a good place to start. I've been with Mytailor for a while and am going to switch to Nialma unless their shirts are subpar. Their 4 for 3 deal results in a very good deal for Thomas Mason Silver shirts. For socks, I would recommend Marcoliani, available from Howard Yount. Viccel only makes solids and ribbed patterns, which I find very boring.post #9 of 107/9/12 at 5:12pmI'm in almost exactly the same boat except our "business casual" means no jeans. Pretty much everyone I work with wears khakis and polos from Wal-mart. There are a few preppy types who buy at Target. (Said with tongue firmly in cheek, for anyone who missed that.) I got promoted about a year ago and have slowly been stepping up my game. I'd have to go up three levels (my bosses bosses boss) at least before I found someone who wears a suit or jacket for other than the occasional special-purpose customer meeting. Despite that, I'm now wearing a blazer or odd jacket to work everyday, along with slacks, a tucked-in dress shirt and bucks or oxfords. I take off the jacket shortly after arriving and spend most of the day in my shirtsleeves, so it doesn't come off as too pretentious. I also keep the jackets and the slacks on the casual side - my general rule of thumb is to make sure the material is soft and textured, NOT smooth or shiny. To help with the wallet-busting aspect, I've slowly worked on my wardrobe over time. Don't try to do it all in a weekend. I'm still trying to figure this whole style thing out and make no claim to be an expert, but that's working well for me so far.post #10 of 107/9/12 at 9:18pmThread Starter
Thank you for the responses, all!
@memsimageconsultant: I have been looking at the Brooks Brothers sale for chinos (I'm a 34x34, so a pretty regular size), but the Nordstrom sale is starting soon as well.
@Quadcammer: lol, no. I'm in IT (so, close I guess :))
@joe4u: Agreed, they are all dark jeans.
@Sanguis Motuum: Amazing choices, all of them. Thank you!
- Slight Step Up In Style For Work
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate It
- › BOGLIOLI Cream Brown Plaid LINEN/wool Sport Coat Jacket Blazer NWT... 14 seconds ago
- › Label Under Construction fly yarn pants - Size 50 - Dark Gray 1 minute ago
- › Cars We Drive! 1 minute ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 1 minute ago
- › Creepy Sartorial Images 3 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 6 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes : Reviews, Sizing, Photos and More 6 minutes ago
- › Poor man's watch thread 8 minutes ago
- › Viberg for Styleforum GMTO Pre-orders, Round 2, 2015 - Pay to vote... 10 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...