or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Is anyone here about to come to Thailand from the UK?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is anyone here about to come to Thailand from the UK?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
I want to buy something from the UK and I don't want to ship the item. Specifically, they are shoes. I have many stories how long things that were sent from overseas to Thailand got myteriously lost. Many speculated that Thailand post office staff are responsible for the missing of the items because they are the people who have been given a full authority to inspect the item. I'm scared and would rather have someone from the UK bring it for me.......

Even though I can ship my item to Thailand via FedEx or UPS, the item will be taxed so heavily. However, if that is my last option, I would have no choice.
Edited by Kiwi Man - 7/10/12 at 10:44pm
post #2 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Man View Post

I want to buy something from the UK and I don't want to ship the item. Specifically, they are shoes. With 'wooden' shoe trees made of solid cocaine.

in before this. redface.gif
post #3 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post

in before this. redface.gif

If I need any drug, I wouldn't need to have them imported from the UK......

Trust me, there is plenty where I'm from.
post #4 of 19
Just send it insured with full tracking.
post #5 of 19
Thread Starter 
It may be secured at the destination where the items are sent from, in this case, it is London. However, once the item leaves the UK, there is no way that anybody can track the item.

This has happened way too often in my home country.
post #6 of 19
Sure, if you choose the more expensive shipping.
post #7 of 19
Why use the post office? Choose an alternate carrier such as UPS, FedEx or DHL. I'm sure one of them delivers to Thailand and does so honestly.
post #8 of 19
FYI....when I was in Bangkok in March/April, I met up wth Kiwi Man.....Stand up dude.
post #9 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by curzon View Post

Why use the post office? Choose an alternate carrier such as UPS, FedEx or DHL. I'm sure one of them delivers to Thailand and does so honestly.

Of course, I could use those services, but all of the items that I get sent from the overseas through their service will be inspected by the custom and these people have the full authority to guess the estimate value of the item and charge 30 percent import tax based on that value. Because my shoes that I'm thinking of buying are Church's, it is possible that I could be charged up to 200 dollars in addition to the cost of the shoes.

They do not care how much you actually pay the item either. THerefore, it is either leave it (getting sent back to the seller) or take it (the outragoues cost of tariff).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ter1413 View Post

FYI....when I was in Bangkok in March/April, I met up wth Kiwi Man.....Stand up dude.

Your kind words are HIGHLY appreciated.......
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Man View Post

I have many stories how long things that were sent from overseas to Thailand got myteriously lost. Many speculated that Thailand post office staff are responsible for the missing of the items because they are the people who have been given a full authority to inspect the item.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Man View Post

and charge 30 percent import tax based on that value. Because my shoes that I'm thinking of buying are Church's, it is possible that I could be charged up to 200 dollars in addition to the cost of the shoes.
lol8[1].gif
post #11 of 19
Seems like you have had bad luck. I have sent numerous items back to Bangkok to my family throughout the last 10 or so years and none got lost. Items ranged from Nike, Bape, BBC stuff back in the early 2000s to luxury purses to other weird stuff that are common in the US, but lacking in Thailand. I even sent a play set back and that thing was huge. Some items were taxed, but none were lost. For what it's worth, all were shipped via the U.S. Postal Office.
post #12 of 19
The "items getting lost" was just an excuse. In his latest post he disclosed the real nature of his request -- avoiding duties. Nothing wrong with asking for that, I guess, but why the false pretense? Hence the lol8[1].gif
post #13 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post

Seems like you have had bad luck. I have sent numerous items back to Bangkok to my family throughout the last 10 or so years and none got lost. Items ranged from Nike, Bape, BBC stuff back in the early 2000s to luxury purses to other weird stuff that are common in the US, but lacking in Thailand. I even sent a play set back and that thing was huge. Some items were taxed, but none were lost. For what it's worth, all were shipped via the U.S. Postal Office.

Well, I have never lost anything because I don't usually buy things from overseas. Therefore, this is the first time I am doing this so I did the research on what ways would be best to send thing from the UK and these are the complaints and they are quite alarming. Please keep in mind, it is all written in Thai, so you may need help understanding the issue.

http://www.pantip.com/cafe/woman/topic/Q12344249/Q12344249.html
http://www.pantip.com/cafe/woman/topic/Q12263737/Q12263737.html
http://www.pantip.com/cafe/woman/topic/Q12131371/Q12131371.html
http://topicstock.pantip.com/woman/topicstock/2012/03/Q11774303/Q11774303.html
http://topicstock.pantip.com/silom/topicstock/2010/06/B9331417/B9331417.html
http://topicstock.pantip.com/woman/topicstock/2012/02/Q11735122/Q11735122.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1os View Post

why the false pretense?

Because I'm "financially concious" and it is not something to be pround of announcing it publicly...... shog[1].gif
Edited by Kiwi Man - 7/10/12 at 11:15pm
post #14 of 19
I'm going next thursday but I am flying from Canada!
post #15 of 19
OP, do you know how much value of new products you're allowed to bring in the country by airplane? Not that hoozah (or anyone else) is unintentionally committing tax fraud. It's often something like 300-500€, so esp. in Thailand a pair of new Church's may already be too much.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Is anyone here about to come to Thailand from the UK?