or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › London rain gear
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

London rain gear

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
I'm moving to London for grad school soon. I'm woefully underequipped in terms of rain gear. I'm looking for traditional English/British rain gear recommendations. I need rain-proof outerwear for hot and cold weather, footwear and headgear recommendations.

I'm on a budget so if you also have recommendations on pieces to look for when thrifting/vintage stores/factory outlets or sales to look out or, that would also be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
post #2 of 23

The first thing you need is a Barbour wax cotton jacket, I prefer the Beaufort. You want to make sure you buy one that is actually made in the UK not the overseas model. Additionally I would look for one with a zip in liner for colder weather. They run around 400 but can be found on ebay this time of year for 100-150. The Bedale is also a good option but I like the hand warmer pockets on the Beaufort.  You can wear this jacket in all kinds of weather with anything, especially in England.
 

post #3 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by joonian View Post

I'm moving to London for grad school soon. I'm woefully underequipped in terms of rain gear. I'm looking for traditional English/British rain gear recommendations. I need rain-proof outerwear for hot and cold weather, footwear and headgear recommendations.
I'm on a budget so if you also have recommendations on pieces to look for when thrifting/vintage stores/factory outlets or sales to look out or, that would also be very much appreciated.
Thanks!

It rains more where you live than in London. And extremes of heat or cold are not common although you may feel chilly compared to Malaysia.

post #4 of 23
post #5 of 23
A Muji plastic mac, light and long with a hood at about £10 is all you need to protect your summer or winter togs.

Spend your money on a decent pair of rubber or Dainite soled shoes such as these.
post #6 of 23
Aquascutum raincoat (if you can still get one) or Burberry raincoat. A Barbour might be OK in London, but IMO you really should be driving a Range Rover, Mercedes GL, Audi Q7 or a BMW X5 to complete the look.
Edited by MikeDT - 7/23/12 at 3:57am
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker Man View Post

It rains more where you live than in London. And extremes of heat or cold are not common although you may feel chilly compared to Malaysia.
Undoubtedly true - the January average temperature is 5C (39F)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDT View Post

A Barbour might be OK in London, but IMO you really should be driving a Range Rover, Mercedes GL, Audi Q7 or a BMW X5 to complete the look.
I very much agree - Barbours are basically country clothes; they look incongruous over city suits and are so short that one's trousers get wet from rain run-off. Very over-rated, in my opinion. Get a proper raincoat (at least knee-length) as Mike suggests. For headgear, flat caps are fairly frequent, a trilby/fedora much less so, but no one should criticise you for wearing either when it is practical to do so (i.e. if it's cold or wet).
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamson View Post

Undoubtedly true - the January average temperature is 5C (39F)
I very much agree - Barbours are basically country clothes; they look incongruous over city suits and are so short that one's trousers get wet from rain run-off. Very over-rated, in my opinion. Get a proper raincoat (at least knee-length) as Mike suggests. For headgear, flat caps are fairly frequent, a trilby/fedora much less so, but no one should criticise you for wearing either when it is practical to do so (i.e. if it's cold or wet).

Problem with Barbours, is that they tend to stink as well. Acceptable in a stable or barn, not so good when hanging in the office.
post #9 of 23

If you're looking for more alternative look, check Norwegian Rain coats, they are guaranteed to be waterproof, and they look pretty different than regular trench or Mac coats.

post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailand View Post

If you're looking for more alternative look, check Norwegian Rain coats, they are guaranteed to be waterproof, and they look pretty different than regular trench or Mac coats.

Very nice if you have €600 - €1000 to spend. OP describes himself as a graduate student on a budget and asks about thiftimg. Maybe Burberry and Barbour are also beyond his reach.
post #11 of 23
If you're arriving in september for the new academic year, you'll need an umbrella rather than a jacket. As noted above, it probably rains more in Malaysia than London. And even when it get's colder (and probably wetter though, given the previous three months it's hard to predict), you can get one. But travelling on the tube can be a sweaty experience so even in mid-winter, it's unwise to have anything too heavy weight.
And turning up to class, even as a graduate student, in a trench coat???crackup[1].gif
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy Trimmer View Post

Very nice if you have €600 - €1000 to spend. OP describes himself as a graduate student on a budget and asks about thiftimg. Maybe Burberry and Barbour are also beyond his reach.

Shouldn't be a problem.....Chelsea Oxfam Shop, 432 King's Road.
post #13 of 23

Yes, sorry, my bad, missed that somehow...

 

Than the best bet would be second hand Burberry or Aquascutum, maybe even Boss from some sales, shouldn't be over 200 GBP for a nice Boss Orange coat.

post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDT View Post

Problem with Barbours, is that they tend to stink as well. Acceptable in a stable or barn, not so good when hanging in the office.

Country clobber they may be but that doesn't stop every fecker from Home Counties commuters to Shoreditch hipsters sporting them: must be why Dalston smells so musty these days.
post #15 of 23
He also appears not to have visited the thread since he started it 2 weeks ago.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › London rain gear