or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Are Baume and Mercier good watches at $1200?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Are Baume and Mercier good watches at $1200? - Page 4

post #46 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauss17 View Post

First, none of the brands you list are what most would consider "mall" brands. Mall brands are things like: Movado, Timex, Fossil, Bulova, etc. While I personally don't care for Bell & Ross, I wouldn't say you see them in malls either. Also, every watch brand has "marketing gurus", brands like Omega and Rolex simply have more active ones (or so it would appear). Their advertising is also typically more main stream. While I will admit there are tools who wear Rolex, not all Rolex wearers are tools. Yes, I own one (Milgauss), but my tool status can be the topic of another thread. Rolex (in my opinion) makes an excellent watch. Their movements are robust and well tested, their styling is classic and simply (most of the time), and they nearly all have 100M watch resistance. For most people, they serve as a good choice for those who only want a single "nice" watch. While Omega does seem to release a few too many special editions as of late, they also make a very reputable watch.

 

I guess depends on where you live.  I can buy all watches I listed at all local malls.

 

Sir, you are one of the few people who actually procured a Milgauss -- probably the most under appreciated Rolex watch in the whole line up. I admit, I too have a soft spot for it and it shall be a part of my collection one day, unless Rolex decides to bastardize it the way it has done to other models.  I still stand by the fact Rolex should be worn if it is vintage, a gift or, preferably, both.  A vintage Milgauss is a plus, but a modern one will do too.  

 

The recent editions of Rolex watches, e.g. 42mm Datejust, as well as the staple Subs scream "look at me."   And while few will complain about the proven Robustness of Rolex movements, the fact that most Rolex watches came with sub-par bracelets until recently should make you think what the company stands for.  Plus you can get a Stowa for under $1,000 that will perform as well as Rolex.

 

If your are to shell our more than $3K grand for a watch, why not stick with something that is more unique -- Zenith, Glashutte Original, Nomos, Dornbluth and Sohn, Omega's new Aqua Terra?  What about going for something that is actually made in the U.S, RGM?  At the very least your watch won't call for a wrong kind of attention.

post #47 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa kot View Post

I guess depends on where you live.  I can buy all watches I listed at all local malls.

Sir, you are one of the few people who actually procured a Milgauss -- probably the most under appreciated Rolex watch in the whole line up. I admit, I too have a soft spot for it and it shall be a part of my collection one day, unless Rolex decides to bastardize it the way it has done to other models.  I still stand by the fact Rolex should be worn if it is vintage, a gift or, preferably, both.  A vintage Milgauss is a plus, but a modern one will do too.  

The recent editions of Rolex watches, e.g. 42mm Datejust, as well as the staple Subs scream "look at me."   And while few will complain about the proven Robustness of Rolex movements, the fact that most Rolex watches came with sub-par bracelets until recently should make you think what the company stands for.  Plus you can get a Stowa for under $1,000 that will perform as well as Rolex.

If your are to shell our more than $3K grand for a watch, why not stick with something that is more unique -- Zenith, Glashutte Original, Nomos, Dornbluth and Sohn, Omega's new Aqua Terra?  What about going for something that is actually made in the U.S, RGM?  At the very least your watch won't call for a wrong kind of attention.

and a $10 WalMart plastic quartz watch can perform as well as the $1000 Stowa, so what is your point? You are free to dislike or like what you want, but attributing a douche/toolness to Rolex says more about you than it does about the Rolex wearer. Porsche's are also driven by what some would call tool's/brand whores, are they crap cars? And what about Rolex's history and contributions to the watch industry, which is pretty much greater than all the brands you like, do you simply disregard that? Zenith has become a lot more gaudy than Rolex, by a multiple of about 10. At the end of the day, mechanical watches are jewelry, they serve no real timekeeping purpose as pretty much everyone has a phone that tells more accurate time. As jewelry, you buy the one that you think fits your status symbol, be that status a WIS, a guy who "made it", uniqueness, or whatever. I see a guy with a Zenith and I think that its someone with more money than sense or style. You obviously would disagree and neither one of us is wrong.
post #48 of 57

capeland with leather strap.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuryman76 View Post

I'm wearing my B&M Capeland S XXL today and I'm quite happy with it. Watches, as with almost anything, are completely subjective items. Some people swear by certain brands, others wouldn't touch those brands with a ten foot greasy dildo. The question isn't whether or not a B&M for $1200 is "worth it", but rather, is a $1200 B&M worth it to you? You're the one that's going to wear it so you have to decide what you like about it. Is it the design? The movement? The wrist presence? All of the above? At $1200 what you're probably getting is an ETA 2824 movement which is a good workhorse movement that's used by tons of others. Can you find a $500 watch with this movement? Sure. Can you find a $2500 watch with this movement? Probably. You just have to figure out what matters the most to you.
BM.jpg

 You have good taste sir. I'm wearing mine today as well. I actually saw your post in the watch thread and it prompted me to throw on an old Mont Blanc Strap I had. I now have a bit of a Richemont Frankenwatch. I've got a stainless bracelet in the mail as well that will hopefully look good on it, if it ever comes in.

post #49 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomhero88 View Post

350x467px-LL-24958076_capelandwithleatherstrap.jpeg
 You have good taste sir. I'm wearing mine today as well. I actually saw your post in the watch thread and it prompted me to throw on an old Mont Blanc Strap I had. I now have a bit of a Richemont Frankenwatch. I've got a stainless bracelet in the mail as well that will hopefully look good on it, if it ever comes in.

I wish the bezel on mine looked as good as that.

To the OP, one thing I should have mentioned is that you don't see many folks with B&M's out there in the wild. If you're the type that wants to be a bit unique then it's not a bad choice.
post #50 of 57
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post


and a $10 WalMart plastic quartz watch can perform as well as the $1000 Stowa, so what is your point? You are free to dislike or like what you want, but attributing a douche/toolness to Rolex says more about you than it does about the Rolex wearer. Porsche's are also driven by what some would call tool's/brand whores, are they crap cars? And what about Rolex's history and contributions to the watch industry, which is pretty much greater than all the brands you like, do you simply disregard that? Zenith has become a lot more gaudy than Rolex, by a multiple of about 10. At the end of the day, mechanical watches are jewelry, they serve no real timekeeping purpose as pretty much everyone has a phone that tells more accurate time. As jewelry, you buy the one that you think fits your status symbol, be that status a WIS, a guy who "made it", uniqueness, or whatever. I see a guy with a Zenith and I think that its someone with more money than sense or style. You obviously would disagree and neither one of us is wrong.

 



I have to say I agree... I have to admit I'm looking for something that is a little fancy that I can afford. To a watch aficionado a B&M may not be worth it.. however if I want accurate timing, my cell can provide me with that. I am just looking for something with a solid name that is a wee bit flashy. I am no where near Rolex, Hublot or Zenith stature but the B&M is a good transition watch into the foray of mid luxury watches. Thus it fits the bill for me.

post #51 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocsosa View Post

 



I have to say I agree... I have to admit I'm looking for something that is a little fancy that I can afford. To a watch aficionado a B&M may not be worth it.. however if I want accurate timing, my cell can provide me with that. I am just looking for something with a solid name that is a wee bit flashy. I am no where near Rolex, Hublot or Zenith stature but the B&M is a good transition watch into the foray of mid luxury watches. Thus it fits the bill for me.

I think this and a few other similar posts are pretty much how this thread needs to end. With a timepiece (or anything for that matter), it is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

 

I've been more than happy with my B&M watch and I would certainly buy another. I think they're great timepieces and if you can buy at the right price, there's no reason why you should invest in one. Having paid $700 for my Capeland S XL, I am more than happy with my purchase and I would have bought it again if I could do it over.

post #52 of 57
I own four watches...two Breitlings (chronomat & superocean), a Baume Capeland S and an Oris tt1 diver. Out of the four, the Capeland gets the most wrist time. Not only is the stainless band the most comfortable, the silver / white dial goes with more outfits. I tend to lean towards heavier watches (diver types) . To me, they look great whether you are wearing a suit or jeans. Anyway... I would not hesitate to get another Baume. Great quality watch at a great price. If you have a choice...get an automatic vs quartz.
post #53 of 57
I was drooling over the current baume et mercier capeland flyback chrono, but then I found the IWC Portuguese Chrono and fell in love. shog[1].gif They are around the same price. Anyway, from what I have read you can get a better value from other makers but I am not an expert. I like the baume et mercier but I do not know much about the movement to give you solid advice.

Could he get a used Panerai for under 2k? (you said your were willing to go up to 1.8k, right?)
post #54 of 57

they were good quality watches..but they have lost it during time...

I'd avoid to buy it.

post #55 of 57
Quote:
Could he get a used Panerai for under 2K?

Not a real one.
post #56 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster View Post


Not a real one.

a panerai made in taiwan

post #57 of 57
With Baume et Mercier you will definitely be paying something of a premium for their perceived heritage. For the record, I own a Capeland Chronograph in my collection, and I like it very much. However, I would never pay retail for this watch. Nor would I ever claim that it represents the best value watch within it's price band.

Don't forget, the watch you ultimately choose will be a very personal selection. Sure, it's nice to get positive comments & feedback, but these things must not dominate your decision. You're the one that puts it on. You're the one that takes it off. And you're the one that looks at it twenty times a day.

My advice, ie my opinion (nothing more, nothing less) would be as follows....

- Spend as much as you can sensibly afford. This thing will be with you far longer than any TV, DVD player, or mobile phone that you might own.

- Automatic timepieces involve far more intricate parts and movements than Quartz driven watches. Generally, this added complexity increases the value of a watch. The quid pro quo, however, is that servicing, maintenance and repairs tend to be significantly more expensive as well. It's a very personal thing, but I prefer automatic watches. Anyone who tells you that one type of watch is necessarily bad, or that another type is necessarily good, generally doesn't know their a from their e.

- For me, the price point you're looking at is one of the trickiest....Very run-of-the-mill fashion brand watches still exist at the 1.5-2k level. My view is that if you want something made by Gucci, buy a pair of loafers. Watches should be made by specialists. Period. Unfortunately, you're unlikely to find a timepiece from a 'master' maker at this price. For example, you will never find an Audemars Piguet watch for 2k. So be it. That might be something you are in a position to purchase further down the line.

- Be prepared to buy a used watch. Provided it comes with manufacturers papers etc, this market is not to be sniffed at. You will pick up a 2-5yr old watch of real quality (5-7k retail) in superb condition if you do your homework.

- With your budget, the brands I'd encourage you to look at would be Hamilton, Oris and used TAG or Omega. Less expensive, and therefore most likely quartz driven, I'd recommend Tissot or Christopher Ward. You get a lot of watch from either of these two brands for about £500. At the other end, if you could squirrel away another £500, you'd get a nearly new Bremont for 2-2.5k.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your market research. I guarantee you'll learn loads while you do it. And remember, it's your watch. Nobody else's. Don't ever listen to advice that says you need to spend xxx on a watch, or that it must be made by xxx. These lines of argument are total garbage.

Regards,
Ben
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Are Baume and Mercier good watches at $1200?