• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Champions League Last 16.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Usually at this stage of the tournament a team produces a display that says look at us we are the team to watch.However this year its there for the taking.Favourites Barca will probably go out and Inter who I had been led to believe were a 'superteam' this year looked very ordinary last night.As for my team Man Utd they too were very poor but should get safely through.
So who is everyone tipping for the title?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unfortunately I was working while the matches were played, so I've only read about them. It sounded like Roma started out quite nervous but managed to find their footing in the second part of the 1st half. Pissing down rain at the Olimpico. Just about the enitire side booked by that school marm of a ref.
mad.gif
I can't believe they were all deserved - apparently our South American divers accounted for a couple of them...
butbut.gif

Liverpool did well to leave the Nou Camp w/ 3 points.
nod[1].gif

Jake

Reaction score
Arsenal although my favorite team (stemming back from the Bergkamp, Henry days) sucks and is not going to win so they're out.

I still can't believe Liverpool beat Barca though or that Real Madrid actually won...

I just don't know who will win

scraper

Reaction score
I rather enjoy watching Real Madrid play, and they should have the talent despite a poor season in La Liga according to espn commentators. Beckham actually looked in quite good form in the first leg, for a sellout.

Jake

Reaction score
Of course they have talent I mean look at their team. It's just they play like **** together. Buying all the best players in the world and mashing them together doesn't always work like it did for Chelsea.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jake
Of course they have talent I mean look at their team. It's just they play like **** together. Buying all the best players in the world and mashing them together doesn't always work like it did for Chelsea.

Capello and Cassano have apparently made amends. Properly motivated (and I think he is desperate to impress), he is a monster....
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

scraper

Reaction score
Real is clearly dysfunctional, akin to the NY yankees or NY knicks obviously just because they have talent means little, it does raise the expectations of the fans,media and ownership and places more pressure upon the players. Chelsea has not had the pressure and expectations until their recent success.

grilledcheese

Reaction score
Wow this is great to see this thread...
I agree with you all that the whole affair seems entirely up in the air. Amazingly, I think that the odds might be in favor of Manchester United at this point, particularly with their win against Lille on the road. This pains me to say as I'm not a ManU fan whatsoever. But their chances are as strong as anyone's at this stage. I'd imagine that RomaFan will be pleased to know that I'm pulling for Roma of the teams left with a decent shot.

For UEFA Cup I am with Newcastle all the way. That's my squad even though they've been horribly inconsistent. But hey, they've got Gooch now, so it's something to be happy about.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's funny - Valencia may be the best Spanish side in the competition this year. To twice battle back from a deficit at the San Siro against one of the best clubs in Europe is a remarkable achievement. Real is starting to get it together, though - Bayern isn't espcially strong this year, but Real still put together a decent performance against them. United certainly could win it; they've had strong form in most of their Premiership matches this year, but a 1-0 victory over a pretty weak French side isn't really much to write home about. Like most people, I was most impressed with Liverpool's stunning win against Barca - you've got to remind yourself that Barca was without their best finisher, but to win at the Camp Nou is a pretty damn big deal. They'll be fearless from here on out.

Im English

Reaction score
Man United will win it. The problem with the Lille game was that their pitch was awful which led to United using the long balls which I get frustrated with. The middle of the pitch was awful.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's definitely possible; I've heard a lot of people much more knowledgeable than me say that they arguably have the most talented side in Europe. Still, their home draw with Valencia was not exactly a world-beating performance...

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
It's definitely possible; I've heard a lot of people much more knowledgeable than me say that they arguably have the most talented side in Europe. Still, their home draw with Valencia was not exactly a world-beating performance...

Perhaps the harbinger of their long-waited implosion!
smile.gif
Then again, probably not - they whupped Catania pretty convincingly this weekend, albeit in an empty stadium....
plain.gif

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although I was just reminded they sat Adriano for that match. Not that he would have shorn up their defence, but def a factor.

La Liga is tough to figure out this year; are Valencia better than their record? Are Barca worse than theirs? Are Real?

I don't bet much (by which I mean not at all), but I just saw a site that had Lyon better than both Inter and Liverpool...
confused.gif
They had Chelsea on top, which is questionable, although Barca and Valencia were about even, which I think is pretty fair given recent events. Of course, Eto'o looks as though he heasn't missed a beat, so Barca will likely be a tougher out the next go-round.

grilledcheese

Reaction score
It's interesting... My brother actually believes that Lyon will win (and he's far sharper than me when it comes to football), although he acknowledges that ManU looks strong at the moment. Inter had a decent offensive showing in their league match this week but looked disorganized at the back.
The March 6 matches look like they could be fantastic--I might have to be sick that day so I can watch them. I am particularly looking forward to the Inter/Valencia and Roma/Lyon matches... But the Barce/Liverpool at Liverpool could be something special as well... Hell, they all should be great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads