or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Making coffee while on the road
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Making coffee while on the road

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Even moderately terrible coffee is hard to find in Central America. I finally decided to just do it myself. So, what do you guys think is the best method for this? My original thought was mokapot, but then I realized that I don't always have access to a kitchen. Then I moved onto french press, but I can't seem to find a plastic one. The stainless ones might get dented or break and, obviously, glass won't work.
post #2 of 13
Aeropress with a metal filter.
post #3 of 13
Agree on aero press. Its madenof sturdy plastic. No breakage issues. There are also mini grinders (Hario I think makes one) made for traveling.
post #4 of 13
Like above - aeropress + able metal disc + Kyocera or hario grinder + be familiar with how 195-200 degree water behaves/sounds
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Any good links for metal aeropress filters or portable grinders?
post #6 of 13
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

The stainless ones might get dented or break and, obviously, glass won't work.

So? Besides, do you intend on trying to use your French press as a car jack or something?
Edited by why - 6/29/12 at 2:12pm
post #8 of 13
I actually bought a Bodum in NY and it was at the bottom of the shopping bag with some other junk, ran out of luggage space and just checked in a plastic bag and forgot about the french press along the way - just taped that plastic bag up and stuck a 'fragile' sticker on it. I threw that plastic bag around thinking it was full of our soft stuff forgetting about the Bodum, but it made it from NY to Tokyo completely intact in the bottom of that bag. I guess they're pretty durable.
post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post

So? Besides, do you intend on trying to use your French press as a car jack or something?

No. But I do want it to last. And you'd be amazed how often shit seems to get broken when its in a backpack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post

I actually bought a Bodum in NY and it was at the bottom of the shopping bag with some other junk, ran out of luggage space and just checked in a plastic bag and forgot about the french press along the way - just taped that plastic bag up and stuck a 'fragile' sticker on it. I threw that plastic bag around thinking it was full of our soft stuff forgetting about the Bodum, but it made it from NY to Tokyo completely intact in the bottom of that bag. I guess they're pretty durable.

Lucky. Honestly, I wouldn't take the chance.
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg View Post

Grinder, Filter

Out of curiosity, why these models?
post #11 of 13
The grinder because I think most people who own it love it, and the filter because it was what I found on Amazon. Usually people buy the Coava metal filter for the Aeropress. I couldn't tell if that one was actually made by them, but it looks close enough.
post #12 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg View Post

The grinder because I think most people who own it love it, and the filter because it was what I found on Amazon. Usually people buy the Coava metal filter for the Aeropress. I couldn't tell if that one was actually made by them, but it looks close enough.

Hmm. I emailed Coava and they're not selling the filter any longer. They referred me to Able Brewing, which is the same as the one on Amazon.
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

Lucky. Honestly, I wouldn't take the chance.

pack reasonably smartly and I don't think a Bodum will break. Just wrap it in a few tee shirts. This is coming from the guy who has logged an easy six digits in miles, packing lots of random breakables haphazardly and getting everything across intact. Not a single drop of whisky or wine in my suitcase. I did bust a bottle of Dr Bronner's in my suitcase once, wasn't fun, but that wasn't supposed to be breakable... redface.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Making coffee while on the road