• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Shoes in India?

envoy9

Reaction score
I'm going to India on business soon and have read that you can get custom made shoes at KK Lee in the Khan Market. Has anyone heard anything (positive or negative) about the quality or pricing?

Please post if you know-

Thanks!

sidvar

Reaction score
KK lee is very expensive and not the best quaality. I use John Brothers in F block of Connaught Place, as well as D. Minsen, next to him. A bespoke pair of shoes in the design of your choice would run for Rs 5000-10,000 depending on leather and work. Bear in mind that while the uppers are usually excellent, and last for years without creasing, am not sure how the soles will hold up in the snow abroad.

sachin

Reaction score
There is another Chinese shoemaker in Jorbagh market (very near Khan market). I forget his name but he is just next to the Chemist shop. My uncle had one shoe made and was very happy. He is expensive though.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Chinese bespoke shoemakers in India? Wow...

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sidvar
KK lee is very expensive and not the best quaality. I use John Brothers in F block of Connaught Place, as well as D. Minsen, next to him. A bespoke pair of shoes in the design of your choice would run for Rs 5000-10,000 depending on leather and work. Bear in mind that while the uppers are usually excellent, and last for years without creasing, am not sure how the soles will hold up in the snow abroad.

Would you have any pics?

Mblova

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sidvar

holy ****, how did i miss that. I spend at least 3 days a week in connaught place over this past summer.

sachin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Chinese bespoke shoemakers in India? Wow...
India has quite a large Chinese population. Kolkatta (Calcutta) has a large Chinatown somewhat like Frisco. Lots of Chinese shoemakers, restaurants, saloons etc. Mostly refugees when the great helmsman Mao took over. Guess they did not want to be reeducated.

erdavis

Reaction score
Maybe I am just jinxed, but nothing I ever got from India was ever that good. That isn't quite true, the food poisoning and stomach parasites were world class.

Save your dollars for some craftsmen elsewhere.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's interesting that when the Brits ruled the world, their colonial subjects are on much friendlier terms with each other.

Originally Posted by sachin
India has quite a large Chinese population. Kolkatta (Calcutta) has a large Chinatown somewhat like Frisco. Lots of Chinese shoemakers, restaurants, saloons etc. Mostly refugees when the great helmsman Mao took over. Guess they did not want to be reeducated.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I've learned this the hard way (if you have NO DIRECT EXPERIENCE), hold your stereotypes to yourself. The world is at the point that if someone says he's from a certain part of the world doesn't mean that he's necessarily native.
Originally Posted by erdavis
Maybe I am just jinxed, but nothing I ever got from India was ever that good. That isn't quite true, the food poisoning and stomach parasites were world class. Save your dollars for some craftsmen elsewhere.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I haven't gotten any shoes' but I bought about a dozen suits and a whole heap of shirts in india. I was very happy with the overall quality of what I got.

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Co-sign on COnnaught Place recommendations. For suits, Vaish at Rivoli is the standard go-to. Make sure to go canvas, not fused, and be VERY adament about what you're looking for style/cut/details-wise. It will take at least 3-4 fittings before the product will be up to your specs. As for shirts, I heard there are a couple of good tailors in Khan Mkt, but if you really want best quality go to Maharaja's Shirtmaker in the Taj Mahal Hotel, Bombay. I got five fantastic Egyptian cotton/MOP button shirts for about $42/each and have another five being made as we speak. I still need to post them up in the folded-up shirt Appreciation thread.

swatimodo

Reaction score
hey
i started my brand for customised shoes last year!i got fab response.did few fashion shows as well.

not only the problem feetz but fashion consi.people loved them too

do check swatimodo.com

quiqliquid

Reaction score
Scruff,

I spent several months living in Mumbai and felt like I'd happened upon a pretty good shirt tailor in Kachins -- not the one in Tardeo, the one in Bandra -- and ordered quite a few (about 20). I happened upon your and globetrotter's comments on Maharaja's at the Taj recently, and feel like a complete doltz for having missed these threads while living there (I recently relocated).

Can you share your feedback on the shirts and what you've like about them -- fabric, fit, etc.? Also, you'd mentioned in one of your posts that you'd post pictures of the shirts. If you have them, I'd love to see them.

Maharaja's doesn't courier (or so they say), so I'm going to need to find alternatives. Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Originally Posted by scruff
Co-sign on COnnaught Place recommendations. For suits, Vaish at Rivoli is the standard go-to. Make sure to go canvas, not fused, and be VERY adament about what you're looking for style/cut/details-wise. It will take at least 3-4 fittings before the product will be up to your specs. As for shirts, I heard there are a couple of good tailors in Khan Mkt, but if you really want best quality go to Maharaja's Shirtmaker in the Taj Mahal Hotel, Bombay. I got five fantastic Egyptian cotton/MOP button shirts for about $42/each and have another five being made as we speak. I still need to post them up in the folded-up shirt Appreciation thread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads