or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Suspenders
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Suspenders - Page 6

post #76 of 117
Braces were considered as underwear basically so there was the rule that they shouldn't be seen which has largely become untrue in recent years what with women wearing pajamas outdoors and showing their thong straps and whatnot.


Right, so anyone know where I can order replacement leather fittings for my braces?
post #77 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post

I disagree.
I think it is appropriate for older gentlemen - just like Tassel Loafers.
Was in Monte Carlo recently. Met some Italian guys in a cafe. The eldest had on blue slacks, Weston 180 Loafers in black, a belt, white shirt, gold Ray Bans and blue suspenders. Looked very good.

Its impossible to "look very good " wearing a belt and suspenders.

Kinda like a tourist from the midwest wearing shorts and black socks.
post #78 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex Luthor View Post

You're in Urkel territory now, my friend.

Haha sounds like the 1st few posters in the thread.
post #79 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORE View Post

Braces were considered as underwear basically so there was the rule that they shouldn't be seen which has largely become untrue in recent years what with women wearing pajamas outdoors and showing their thong straps and whatnot.

I agree, but for a different reason. To the best of my knowledge, no one has yet adequately explained why suspenders must be concealed whereas belts may be on full display. If one is to be considered underwear, why not the other?
post #80 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threadbearer View Post

I agree, but for a different reason. To the best of my knowledge, no one has yet adequately explained why suspenders must be concealed whereas belts may be on full display. If one is to be considered underwear, why not the other?

For me, it's less about exposing the braces themselves, and more that my braced trou are a good 2" higher than my belted ones, which looks goofy if not covered by a jacket.
post #81 of 117
I think how you wear clothing has changed so much that unless you are in a very conservative office setting and profession why would it matter? So, go ahead and show your braces if you want to. But, I have seen very, very few people doing it where it is an improvement over not showing them. Me, I'm sticking with belts.
post #82 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy View Post

I think how you wear clothing has changed so much that unless you are in a very conservative office setting and profession why would it matter? So, go ahead and show your braces if you want to. But, I have seen very, very few people doing it where it is an improvement over not showing them. Me, I'm sticking with belts.

This.

 

Even if I wanted to most of the trousers I wear would look silly with braces.

post #83 of 117
Are there any quality braces that are cheaper than what's on offer from Brooks Brothers and J. Press?
post #84 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by prozach1576 View Post

Are there any quality braces that are cheaper than what's on offer from Brooks Brothers and J. Press?

Albert Thurston
post #85 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archivist View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by prozach1576 View Post

Are there any quality braces that are cheaper than what's on offer from Brooks Brothers and J. Press?

Albert Thurston

This is a good answer. Also, depending on how much cheaper you have in mind, you may want to check out www.beltoutlet.com. I have braces from there that have held up well in the 2-3 years since I bought them and that were significantly less expensive than those offered by AT and BB.
post #86 of 117
only if you're old and fat. smile.gif

post #87 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreativeretard View Post

For a while now, I have been debating on whether or not to take up suspenders.  I love the overall look of them but I never truly know when is an appropriate time to wear them. Are they acceptable in a business casual setting and if so would they be fitting for business casual?

If you aim for traditional use, braces (or suspenders) are not really meant to be seen, would be attached to buttons and you'd have to remove belt loops from the trousers. I believe this is the norm for old-fashioned wear.
post #88 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by prozach1576 View Post

Are there any quality braces that are cheaper than what's on offer from Brooks Brothers and J. Press?

TM Lewin sell AT braces quite cheaply.
post #89 of 117
If one were to have pants made for use with braces they would be different than pants made for use with belts. Primarily they would have a higher waisted, have side adjusters (or not) and no belt loops. I would think it rare and incorrect that RTW pants come with both belt loops and buttons for braces installed. Maybe i am wrong on this but it would seem counterintuitive. I recall on some RLPL suits I had the pants had buttons and side adjusters and had fabric for belt loops in a bag should one choose to go the other route. Therefore the default was to either use braces or go without and use the side adjusters alone.

As for flash versus non-flash it comes down to personal choice. Some choose to be conservative in choosing their braces, others not. There are scads of hideous, flashy ties that call out to some people; these people would also most likely to choose flash over function for braces. So be it.
post #90 of 117
I don't think this looks bad or contrived.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Suspenders