or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Need My First Pair of High-End Shoes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need My First Pair of High-End Shoes

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
I'm 23, work at Google where the clothing culture is VERY casual, but I'm looking for some nice clothes I can wear on the weekends and to events, etc. I typically wear Tod's moccasins with jeans or Clark Desert Boots when I go out but I'm thinking it may be time to get some real shoes. Any suggestions for around $2-300? If I can only buy one pair, should it be black or brown? I don't want anything too conservative either.
post #2 of 23
Get a pair of dark brown brogues or a brown suede chukka boot.
post #3 of 23

buy a brown brogues, It's good for any ocassion, if you want more casual, brogues with wedge sole is also pretty nice..

post #4 of 23
Thread Starter 
Thanks guys. Is Allen Edmonds the best option to purchase locally (San Francisco) for my price range? If so, should I buy a matching belt when I get the shoes, or will I be able to find a matching belt elsewhere later on?
post #5 of 23

are you looking for more of a dress shoe? 

post #6 of 23

I typically wear Tod's moccasins with jeans or Clark Desert Boots when I go out but I'm thinking it may be time to get some real shoes.
 

post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityofAngles View Post

I'm 23, work at Google where the clothing culture is VERY casual, but I'm looking for some nice clothes I can wear on the weekends and to events, etc. I typically wear Tod's moccasins with jeans or Clark Desert Boots when I go out but I'm thinking it may be time to get some real shoes. Any suggestions for around $2-300? If I can only buy one pair, should it be black or brown? I don't want anything too conservative either.

For a dress shoe i would suggest black first. But TBH i always wear brown now unless its with a suit, but even then i tend to go towards brown and brown suede. But if this helps your question i get more utility from my brown shoes.
post #8 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff13007 View Post

For a dress shoe i would suggest black first. But TBH i always wear brown now unless its with a suit, but even then i tend to go towards brown and brown suede. But if this helps your question i get more utility from my brown shoes.

Oh really, black? My suit is navy. I typically wear grey selvage jeans with black or grey Tod's suede moccasins. Would dark brown brogues go with these jeans? Or would I have to buy some navy blue chinos/slacks? I really don't go to any formal events, just out to dinner at the typical SF style hipster restaurants.
post #9 of 23
Then brown. The black first advice comes with the presumption that you'll need them to be able to work in conservative environments like a job interview. Sounds like your life is much more casual, even in traditionally formal settings.

Dark brown brogues sound like an exellent choice, and yeah, they'll go with jeans. Khakis would be a good investment in any case, though. Traditional tan (or stone- they're interchangeable depending on which you like more) is the best color to start with, then medium gray. Then olive. Navy is way down the list for khakis, though I do have a pair.
post #10 of 23
really?

I find I wear my navy chinos more than all the rest
post #11 of 23
I too use my navy chinos more than the rest of the lot.
post #12 of 23
Yeah, I don't think I'd ever wear medium grey or olive chinos....definitely not before navy.

Navy chinos, walnut strands, light vneck over an interesting dress shirt=win
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityofAngles View Post

I'm 23, work at Google where the clothing culture is VERY casual, but I'm looking for some nice clothes I can wear on the weekends and to events, etc. I typically wear Tod's moccasins with jeans or Clark Desert Boots when I go out but I'm thinking it may be time to get some real shoes. Any suggestions for around $2-300? If I can only buy one pair, should it be black or brown? I don't want anything too conservative either.

If you're willing to up your budget a bit and you're a size that's not that common, you may be able to find Ralph Lauren Darlton/Marlows (they keep switching names) at a digestible price.
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityofAngles View Post

Oh really, black? My suit is navy. I typically wear grey selvage jeans with black or grey Tod's suede moccasins. Would dark brown brogues go with these jeans? Or would I have to buy some navy blue chinos/slacks? I really don't go to any formal events, just out to dinner at the typical SF style hipster restaurants.

You see black or grey suede moccasins is something id like to learn how to pull off while wearing a suit. I think its a great look if done right. I personally love the look of dark brown with jeans, and especially like tobacco suede with jeans. My advise to you is wear an outfit that you would wear to a "SF style hipster restaurant" and go to a department store and try on various pairs, if you are in need of new chinos/slacks then by all means get some but don't go out of your way to buy stuff to match a pair of shoes.
post #15 of 23

I'd suggest some oxfords/blucher mocs. They can go with most anything. Brown will be more versatile than black in a casual setting. The AE stuff is good as well if you have that budget.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Need My First Pair of High-End Shoes