or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › MacBook Pro Retina
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MacBook Pro Retina

post #1 of 194
Thread Starter 
Anyone get one as yet? Considering pulling the trigger on the 2.6ghz model to replace my 5 year old MacBook.
post #2 of 194
been trying to get one but I missed the online orders, and now just waiting to get one from the store in person. I checked it out at the Apple store on 5th Avenue the other day, it's nice. If you've seen a unibody macbook, it's hard to tell the new one apart. It's thinner and lighter, but not by much. Just a lack of ports and optical drive to differentiate it. The screen is pretty damn clear but this old LED quad-core i7 I have isn't horrible to look at either. I just feel like it's going to be the benchmark for most all laptops (especially anything Apple) now for awhile, so I might as well start now. Back when they made the older Ti Powerbooks and then the silver Powerbook G4's, those were pretty impressive generational shifters and were far more expensive to get into than this Retina MBP.
post #3 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINI View Post

Anyone get one as yet? Considering pulling the trigger on the 2.6ghz model to replace my 5 year old MacBook.

idk after seeing the pricing model i am bit thrown off... 2799 for the one i want is a lotta cash
post #4 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnedk View Post

idk after seeing the pricing model i am bit thrown off... 2799 for the one i want is a lotta cash

If you're in the bay, why not get an employee discount from a friend, easy $400-700 saved
post #5 of 194
There are very few people for whom the macbook pro makes a lot of sense, especially in regards to price and performance. Most people don't and won't need the performance of a MBP. The only really compelling factor I see in getting the new MBP is for the retina display, and when I checked it out at the apple store, I was not amazed at all.

You're looking at a laptop screen from so far away (relatively speaking, in comparison to an iPhone or iPad, for example), so the benefit of the retina display is minimized.

I say all this as an apple lover. For now, the macbook air makes the most sense for most people, IMO. I think that's why they didn't release the Air with the retina displays, because no one would buy the MBP.
post #6 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

There are very few people for whom the macbook pro makes a lot of sense, especially in regards to price and performance. Most people don't and won't need the performance of a MBP. The only really compelling factor I see in getting the new MBP is for the retina display, and when I checked it out at the apple store, I was not amazed at all.
You're looking at a laptop screen from so far away (relatively speaking, in comparison to an iPhone or iPad, for example), so the benefit of the retina display is minimized.
I say all this as an apple lover. For now, the macbook air makes the most sense for most people, IMO. I think that's why they didn't release the Air with the retina displays, because no one would buy the MBP.

Yeah I was waiting for a MBA with retina + 8gb mem + 512 ssd. Or more ideal would be MBA with retina + normal mem and drive slots so I could upgrade on my own. Not happy with new refresh but keeping my current MBA now
post #7 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevent View Post

Yeah I was waiting for a MBA with retina + 8gb mem + 512 ssd. Or more ideal would be MBA with retina + normal mem and drive slots so I could upgrade on my own. Not happy with new refresh but keeping my current MBA now

Yeah, I was hoping for the MBA with the retina display too. I couldn't care less about the internal performance components since my current Air is still fast as fuck and I bought this in the winter of 2010.

It'll come out soon enough so I'll just wait until then.
post #8 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevent View Post

If you're in the bay, why not get an employee discount from a friend, easy $400-700 saved

hmm good idea, i am not in the market for one yet but once i am i'll see who will be nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

Yeah, I was hoping for the MBA with the retina display too. I couldn't care less about the internal performance components since my current Air is still fast as fuck and I bought this in the winter of 2010.
It'll come out soon enough so I'll just wait until then.

i actually just wanted all the MBP spec in an MBA, retina display i could care less about, i don't watch movies, i do analysis and write code occasionally, my loops don't need to be in HD
post #9 of 194
I still don't get it. Can anyone please explain to me why you would pay thousands of dollars for an Apple product when you could buy an even better product from some other manufacturer for like half the price?
post #10 of 194
^I dislike macs, but to be fair, try posting an example of something with the same specs (including size and weight) for under $1.5K. You'll have a difficult time.
post #11 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs232 View Post

^I dislike macs, but to be fair, try posting an example of something with the same specs (including size and weight) for under $1.5K. You'll have a difficult time.

Now hold on just a minute. I can post a laptop with higher specs than a mac, no problem. The size and weight will be a problem, I'll give you that much. But we need to ask ourselves; what is most important when buying a laptop? The thinness and compactness or high-grade specs?

High-grade specs for me please.
post #12 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan View Post

Now hold on just a minute. I can post a laptop with higher specs than a mac, no problem. The size and weight will be a problem, I'll give you that much. But we need to ask ourselves; what is most important when buying a laptop? The thinness and compactness or high-grade specs?
High-grade specs for me please.

Including screen res?
post #13 of 194
bruinsfan: seriously? of course it's a balance of weight, performance and price. and show me a better 13" lightweight laptop than the air.
post #14 of 194

MBPs are so overpriced. The only thing going for it is the thunderbolt port which hopefully most new Q3/4 PC laptops will have anyway. The retina display is hardly worth it on a laptop and this is coming from someone who froths on high-res displays normally.

post #15 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan View Post

I still don't get it. Can anyone please explain to me why you would pay thousands of dollars for an Apple product when you could buy an even better product from some other manufacturer for like half the price?


Would love to see a link to a Windows laptop with even better specs then the new Macbook Pro Retina. Remember, you have to match or exceed it in most areas, including the weight and screen, for this to count. Bonus props to you buddy if you can do so at "half the price." fing02[1].gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › MacBook Pro Retina