or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › The "things you can't believe you just saw" thread...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "things you can't believe you just saw" thread... - Page 19

post #271 of 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by romafan View Post

Woman biking in the bike lane on 9th Street. I really wish I know how to work phone camera - she's wearing a long, billowy dress w/ two oversized purse-type bags looped over a handlebar, riding one-handed while trying to text (read text?confused.gif) w/ the other, with her beautiful innocent 2-year old daughter loosley strapped into a cargo seat. Neither are wearing helmets....censored.gif

you encountered a Beautiful Godzilla:

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2007/09/attack-of-beautiful-godzillas.html

courtesy of the bike snob:
Quote:

The Beautiful Godzilla is a particular kind of urban female cyclist who rides as though the rest of the world were created simply to yield to her. She's generally young, good-looking and clad in expensive clothes. She also rides an old three-speed or perhaps a 10-speed or Dutch city bike, carries her handbag on the edge of her handlebars and if she has a basket it usually contains a small dog or perhaps a baguette. She's on her mobile phone at all times and her approach to cycling in a densely populated city is a combination of self-entitlement and Mr Magoo-type dumb luck. Like any self-entitled person, she can't imagine a car would possibly hit her, even if she's riding against traffic and it's coming right at her. Actually, you sort of find yourself disappointed when it doesn't. And just like Mr Magoo would wander into a construction site and a girder would materialise right as he was about to walk off the scaffolding, the Beautiful Godzilla blithely rides through red lights and busy intersections, emerging on the other side unscathed and just as photogenic as she was when she entered it.

Why other cyclists don't like them: They should be dead but aren't.

Compatibility with other cyclists: Will accept deliveries from Messengers; will develop crushes on Messengers.
post #272 of 547
^^^^^ They need a new monicker for the idiots who endanger little kids like that.
post #273 of 547
I encountered the scooter variant of this yesterday. A young (4-ish) child whizzed past me at high speed on his scooter going down a hill, followed shortly after by his mother, busily texting and scooting and ignoring her child. She suddenly realized that he was heading for a busy intersection at full speed and called out for him to wait for her.
post #274 of 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post

you encountered a Beautiful Godzilla:
http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2007/09/attack-of-beautiful-godzillas.html
courtesy of the bike snob:

They are called female cyclists here.

The cities that are going full force on bikes, are in for a brute awakening.
post #275 of 547
Anybody on any type of wheels in the city instantly turns into a douchebag.
post #276 of 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Find Finn View Post

They are called female cyclists here.
The cities that are going full force on bikes, are in for a brute awakening.

Yes, lower congestion, cleaner air, and lower obesity rates are awful.
post #277 of 547
Yesterday, this woman kept moving her car forward through the pedestrian crossing as tons of people, kids, strollers were crossing the street (walk signal). She was blocking the intersection and I guess she thought the best way out of it was to slowly ram pedestrians. Even more unbelievable is her reaction when I lift my hand and gesture to stop moving the car when we were going through with our stroller. I'm not to proud of what I did next, happy my kids didn't see me...


This morning, the "art" at the delta lounge... uhoh.gif

th_IMG01426-20121008-0620jpg.jpg
Edited by gdl203 - 10/8/12 at 4:42am
post #278 of 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

Yesterday, this woman kept moving her car forward through the pedestrian crossing as tons of people, kids, strollers were crossing the street (walk signal). She was blocking the intersection and I guess she thought the best way out of it was to slowly ram pedestrians. Even more unbelievable is her reaction when I lift my hand and gesture to stop moving the car when we were going through with our stroller. I'm not to proud of what I did next, happy my kids didn't see me...
This morning, the "art" at the delta lounge... uhoh.gif
th_IMG01426-20121008-0620jpg.jpg

I can't make out the picture. what is it?
post #279 of 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang66 View Post

Yes, lower congestion, cleaner air, and lower obesity rates are awful.

Cyclists aren't required to learn the traffic laws and therefor act accordingly.

Many cyclists think they are invisible and therefor can do what ever they want run red lights, going against traffic, ride on sidewalks, ram people etc. and it's apparently okay just to leave your bike anywhere, in front of doorways, right across the sidewalk, leaning on to cars/windows/children/dogs whatever.
post #280 of 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Find Finn View Post

Cyclists aren't required to learn the traffic laws and therefor act accordingly.
Many cyclists think they are invisible and therefor can do what ever they want run red lights, going against traffic, ride on sidewalks, ram people etc. and it's apparently okay just to leave your bike anywhere, in front of doorways, right across the sidewalk, leaning on to cars/windows/children/dogs whatever.

Many cyclists? How many? Got any evidence? And what does any of this have to do with your dubious claim that "The cities that are going full force on bikes, are in for a brute awakening"?
post #281 of 547
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

Yesterday, this woman kept moving her car forward through the pedestrian crossing as tons of people, kids, strollers were crossing the street (walk signal). She was blocking the intersection and I guess she thought the best way out of it was to slowly ram pedestrians. Even more unbelievable is her reaction when I lift my hand and gesture to stop moving the car when we were going through with our stroller. I'm not to proud of what I did next, happy my kids didn't see me...

i effing hate it when people do this. I hate it so much that I've taken to trying to piss the drivers off whenever this happens: I'll either drag my hand over their hood as I pass, or I'll casually tap my fingers on the hood as if I'm jamming to my invisible headphones. I've had one guy yell back at me, which was hilarious.
post #282 of 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang66 View Post

Many cyclists? How many? Got any evidence? And what does any of this have to do with your dubious claim that "The cities that are going full force on bikes, are in for a brute awakening"?

Come visit and have a look, my estimate is 50%+.

They are going to have a whole new set of problems instead of congestion, such as idiots who don't know the traffic laws riding around like headless chickens and trouble getting in and out of train stations etc. it's not as great as it sounds.
Edited by Find Finn - 10/8/12 at 10:07am
post #283 of 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

we've all bitched and moaned about those assholes who body block you as you're trying to get out of the elevator. A few minutes ago, some douche actually entered the elevator and pushed his floor button before myself or any of the 5 others on board were even able to exit.
fuck that guy.

This happens all to often where I live. When this occurs, I merely walk straight, tighten body up, and exit the elevator. If they bump me, I merely say "excuse you." No one has tried to correct me or talk back.
post #284 of 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang66 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Find Finn View Post

Cyclists aren't required to learn the traffic laws and therefor act accordingly.
Many cyclists think they are invisible and therefor can do what ever they want run red lights, going against traffic, ride on sidewalks, ram people etc. and it's apparently okay just to leave your bike anywhere, in front of doorways, right across the sidewalk, leaning on to cars/windows/children/dogs whatever.

Many cyclists? How many? Got any evidence? And what does any of this have to do with your dubious claim that "The cities that are going full force on bikes, are in for a brute awakening"?

laugh.gif The stuff Fang gets worked up over.

Yeah, Finn, you got any "evidence" cyclists can be annoying and unsafe gits in city traffic? I don't believe that EVER happens you're going to have to PROVE it to me!
post #285 of 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

laugh.gif The stuff Fang gets worked up over.
Yeah, Finn, you got any "evidence" cyclists can be annoying and unsafe gits in city traffic? I don't believe that EVER happens you're going to have to PROVE it to me!

Vroom vroom, had any drag races with the poors lately douche?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › The "things you can't believe you just saw" thread...