or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Does walking speed indicate income?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Does walking speed indicate income?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
I've always wondered, when walking in the city on weekdays, if people who walk really slow (not including elerly or disabled- I mean people who just choose to walk really slow) in general tend to earn less money than people who haul ass everywhere- barring any sort of external uncontrollable circumstances of course. I can't find any studies online about this but I'm sure there has to be a correlation. Im the city, when I pass people my age who are just ambling along I always wonder if the things they don't get done in a normal day accumulate through the years in multiple aspects of life. Not just money, but social things and whatnot. Is this a thing or am I overthinking it?
post #2 of 16
Thread Starter 
Actually I think I finally found some info on this:

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/jobs-and-economy/2012/03/why-people-cities-walk-fast/1550/
post #3 of 16
That's rather interesting.

Always knew it correlated with urban environments...although not really your presence in them currently but rather your conditioning (if you grew up in a big city, or have lived in one for some time) is the real driver of walking speed--hence if you pick out obvious tourists, you can still see a split between fast and slow walkers.
post #4 of 16
Something I've pondered on is matching walking speeds. I've noticed that people that walk at the same pace tend to get along in the work place. If you and your boss/subordinate walk at the same speed you are far more likely to fit well vs. people with greatly different walking paces.
post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Something I've pondered on is matching walking speeds. I've noticed that people that walk at the same pace tend to get along in the work place. If you and your boss/subordinate walk at the same speed you are far more likely to fit well vs. people with greatly different walking paces.

Thats interesting! Im going to keep that in mind at work today!
post #6 of 16
I walk with purpose and I don't make nearly close to a decent wage...but maybe this may bode well for my future?
post #7 of 16
CPT
post #8 of 16
NPR has some very long investigative stories they play on the weekends. One was talking about cities and was very interesting. They talked about walking speed and how much data they could correlate to it, including how many Nobel prizes the city produced.

They also interviewed people who dug under NYC for utility pipes and what not, and some people from a mining town that was abandoned because everyone lived on top of a coal mine that caught on fire and still burns to this day.

Anyone know what this show is called? I looked for it once before and wasn't able to find it. I listed to another one that was about bed bugs and insomnia. All were about 30-40 mins long
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggs View Post

NPR has some very long investigative stories they play on the weekends. One was talking about cities and was very interesting. They talked about walking speed and how much data they could correlate to it, including how many Nobel prizes the city produced.
They also interviewed people who dug under NYC for utility pipes and what not, and some people from a mining town that was abandoned because everyone lived on top of a coal mine that caught on fire and still burns to this day.
Anyone know what this show is called? I looked for it once before and wasn't able to find it. I listed to another one that was about bed bugs and insomnia. All were about 30-40 mins long

If you find out, post the answer.
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJB View Post

Actually I think I finally found some info on this:
http://www.theatlanticcities.com/jobs-and-economy/2012/03/why-people-cities-walk-fast/1550/

How do they gather the data, by seeing eye dog?
Quote:
The top ten cities for walking speed, according to Levine, were as follows: Dublin, Amsterdam, Bern/Zurich, London, Frankfurt, New York, Tokyo, Paris, Nairobi, and Rome.

Greater Tokyo is probably the biggest city in the world but people here could not walk slower if they tried. A tortoise with a gammy leg would get frustrated. I know plenty of people who've made the same observation.

Also my impression is that most of the studies mentioned were Euro/Western-centric.
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggs View Post

NPR has some very long investigative stories they play on the weekends. One was talking about cities and was very interesting. They talked about walking speed and how much data they could correlate to it, including how many Nobel prizes the city produced.
They also interviewed people who dug under NYC for utility pipes and what not, and some people from a mining town that was abandoned because everyone lived on top of a coal mine that caught on fire and still burns to this day.
Anyone know what this show is called? I looked for it once before and wasn't able to find it. I listed to another one that was about bed bugs and insomnia. All were about 30-40 mins long

Some of those sound like stories that you might hear on Science Friday...but you said weekend so maybe not (unless they re-air the science friday bits)
post #12 of 16
i bet jon would know the answer to all this.
post #13 of 16
I am just going to say what everybody is thinking. There are certain minority groups that walk very slow. The "Pimp Roll" as Wolfe puts it.
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJB View Post

Im the city, when I pass people my age who are just ambling along I always wonder if the things they don't get done in a normal day accumulate through the years in multiple aspects of life.

Well it's a stretch in my opinion to call Seattle a 'city', but we'll leave that scuffle for another day; anyway if you're in downtown or cap hill during the middle of the workweek, I'd say yes the amblers make less than the people who actually have somewhere they need to be. On the other hand, I'm a firm believer in strolling if it's night or the weather's nice; or say youre on a date. Those on the Continent have this down. To me, walking fast on a date or a situation where you're expected to be social is a sign of nervousness or insecurity.

A better analysis would be of driving speeds. Nothing to me is more indicative of the aimless nature of Portlandia's population than the consistent 10mph under the speed limit in the left lane phenomena.
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

CPT
Critical pull time or coloured people's time?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Does walking speed indicate income?