or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What *don't* you wear?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What *don't* you wear? - Page 6

post #76 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncrd View Post

  • Heavy chunky cordovan shoes, like the Lauren wingtips. I've had two pair, and ended up selling both virtually unworn. No vibe for them.
  • Pretty much any wingtips actually.
  • Black dress shoes at all (3 pair out of maybe 50 total).
  • Tassle loafers (1 pair, and only redeemed by being suede).
  • Most of the boots favored here with suits.
  • Bowties.
  • Very short, tight pants.
  • Loafers (or any shoe) without socks in professional/public environment.

 

+1

 

I would add to the above:

  • Most traditional styles from English shoe makers (with the exception of C&J)
  • Monks (although I just ordered a pair of single Monks from Meermin to try the style)
  • Semi / Full brogues
  • Medallions [shoes]
  • Double-breasted suits

 

From reading a lot of SF posts on shoes and seeing different styles and lasts, I'm disappointed in the recent styles of some of the English shoe makers. The Loake 1880 range in particular seems to have become more chunkier - I have the Aldwych - over styles such as the Norwich, Truro and Wells. The only shoes that I like from a style point of view (construction and quality aside) are some C&J e.g the Alden.

 

Sadly, I own 4 pairs of shoes (or 6 if you count the pair of black work beaters never to see daylight again, snap with my ugly WAG / Recruitment Consultant-tan wingtip square toe monstrosities), and 3 of the 4 are black. The 2 pairs of shoes I ordered from Meermin unfortunately were only available in black. From here on in, dress shoes shall be bought in various burgundys, chestnuts, walnuts and tans - maybe other colour combinations for MTOs.


Edited by Putonghua73 - 6/24/12 at 2:37am
post #77 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmith View Post

Been looking for a thread to post this.

Everything this guy is wearing is on my "Will Never Wear" list.

350x526px-LL-08afb4c3_tumblr_m5zg7a8ZP31qgk2tao1_1280.jpeg

VietCong chic with crocs..baldy[1].gif
post #78 of 173

Are people actually still wearing crocs?? I thought they went out of fashion minutes after the idea was conceived. 

post #79 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by raalltheway View Post

Are people actually still wearing crocs?? I thought they went out of fashion minutes after the idea was conceived. 

I saw some of the in town last saturday..uhoh.gif
post #80 of 173
To be fair, Crocs arent bad for gardening. Can hose them off when done.
post #81 of 173
bow ties (except for black tie): I admire Big Beard but would look a complete tit if I tried it myself.

blazers with gold buttons: Too many Alan Partridge (or 1980s, BMW-driving Home Counties estate agent who drinks at the local golf club) associations. My problem, perhaps, but there you go.

double breasted suits: I just haven't. Maybe one day.

garish strides: not pseudo-waspish enough for nantuckets, not Italian (or colour blind) enough for bright green, etc.

OCBDs with suits: I'm British, dammit.

Loafers with a suit: Ditto

A suit and tie unless the circumstances call for it (being slightly overdressed is one thing but it's just playing dress-up for some on here): Just go back and read about Reevolving's trip to the sports bar or the beach (remember to pack that tie, folks!) to realise why appropriateness is important.

A Celtic FC shirt: This shouldn't need explaining
post #82 of 173
hendrix
"You are such an awful poster."

And you're such an awful person. What's worse?
post #83 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Corbera View Post

OTH, he wished that he was a tampon.

Do mares wear tampons?
post #84 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahman View Post

To be fair, Crocs arent bad for gardening. Can hose them off when done.
It is fair, but I see them about town far too often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg View Post

Just go back and read about Reevolving's trip to the sports bar or the beach (remember to pack that tie, folks!) to realise why appropriateness is important.
Surely a sign of the coming apocalypse.
post #85 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasbar View Post

Do mares wear tampons?

Not after a certain age.
post #86 of 173
I love me some chunky brogues. On the other hand, there's very little Lobb makes these days I'd consider wearing. Same with G&G's Deco line.
post #87 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post

On the other hand, there's very little Lobb makes these days I'd consider wearing. Same with G&G's Deco line.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gificon_gu_b_slayer[1].gificon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #88 of 173

crocs are ugly.

post #89 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianiceman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post

There's an intriguingly complex free association/stream of consciousness flow to this list. biggrin.gif

I really hope it isn't the result of editing, and was genuinely expounded in a single passionate bolus.

biggrin.gif nope - pretty much rattled it off. Vox suspects I may be a nudist but my cupboards are so full I have to now operate a strict one in one out policy! Make of that what you will Sigmund!

 

I feel that; have to do the same myself.

 

No real psychological insights, just that it really did flow smoothly from one concept to another. One could almost see the cogs ticking round, and even the leaps from one subset to another actually did have a tangential associative link. For instance, the leap from sleeve garters to green eyeshades conjures up an old-school Western saloon card dealer with a green visor. Or moving from tweed generally onto the different types of jackets, flows from the fact the two are frequently found together as "tweed jacket". Sorry, I'm used to having to notice this stuff!

post #90 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post

I feel that; have to do the same myself.

No real psychological insights, just that it really did flow smoothly from one concept to another. One could almost see the cogs ticking round, and even the leaps from one subset to another actually did have a tangential associative link. For instance, the leap from sleeve garters to green eyeshades conjures up an old-school Western saloon card dealer with a green visor. Or moving from tweed generally onto the different types of jackets, flows from the fact the two are frequently found together as "tweed jacket". Sorry, I'm used to having to notice this stuff!

I'm gonna have to stop posting when you're around HF, too close for comfort!

That reminds me of an episode of Cheers when Frazier had to hypnotize Woody for some reason:

Cliff: that took a long time Doc, I imagine it's very difficult to get through to someone like Woody?
Frazier: Oh no it was easy, he was very open to suggestion and I found what I needed instantly.
Cliff: then what were you doing for the rest of all that time?
Frazier: Oh, just browsing Cliff, just browsing ...

biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What *don't* you wear?