or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What *don't* you wear?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What *don't* you wear? - Page 4

post #46 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelvl View Post

- Pink items

I'm with you on that. My wife keeps trying to buy me pink dress shirts and polos, and I flat out refuse. I don't care how trendy it is, pink's for girls bigstar[1].gif
post #47 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandres View Post

I'm with you on that. My wife keeps trying to buy me pink dress shirts and polos, and I flat out refuse. I don't care how trendy it is, pink's for girls bigstar[1].gif
Quote:
Although today many people consider Brooks Brothers a very traditional clothier, it is known for having introduced many clothing novelties to the market throughout its history as a leader in the industry. In 1896, John E. Brooks, the grandson of Henry Sands Brooks, applied button-down collars to dress shirts after having seen them on English polo players. In addition to the aforementioned (ready-made clothing in 1859 and the Button-Down Dress Shirt in 1896), other firsts Brooks Brothers brought to America include... The Pink Dress Shirt (before 1900, it became a sensation in the postwar period to go with charcoal-gray suits)...

Totally a girl's color. Totally not classic. Totally trendy... facepalm.gif
post #48 of 173
AEs, Longwings, AE Longwings,
post #49 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted View Post

Totally a girl's color. Totally not classic. Totally trendy... facepalm.gif

Prince Charles refused to wear yellow and pink dress shirts too.
post #50 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted View Post

Totally a girl's color. Totally not classic. Totally trendy... facepalm.gif

*shrug* powdered wigs are totally classic too, but you won't find me in one. I find them as distasteful and effeminate as pink shirts
post #51 of 173
So are cod pieces laugh.gif
post #52 of 173
shoes
three piece suits
post #53 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboysc View Post

Prince Charles refused to wear yellow and pink dress shirts too.

OTH, he wished that he was a tampon.
post #54 of 173
wing tips
full-brogues
bracelets
360* welts
norwegian welts
post #55 of 173
flip flops
boat shoes
tassel loafers
straight or boot cut jeans (only slim legs)
cuffed jeans (except slim on the legs)
cuffed trousers
boots
longwings & gunboats
white shoes
extra elongated or pointy shoes
vintage shoes
light cream color shoes (except suede)
spadriles
matching light belts & shoes
matching suede belts & shoes
matching socks & shirts
short pants
short jackets
short shorts
"french" blue shirts
pink anything
guayabera shirts (those loose wite shirts with 4 big pockets, don't know the name in english)
red, green, yellow pants
any seasonal costume (ala BB seasons catalog)
happy socks
white socks
wide ties
wide lapels
post #56 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianiceman View Post

Most of this thread!

Bow ties (except with dinner suit)
Ascots
Button down shirts
Contrast collar shirts
Tab/pin/club collar shirts
Tweed
Two button jackets
Double breasted jackets
Wide lapel jackets
3 roll 2 jackets
Pleated strides
Strides with turnups
Double FIH tie knots
Bracelets
Tassel loafers
Boat shoes
Oxfords
Felt lapel flowers
Cardigans
Sweaters, especially the shawl collar ones
Sweater vests
Pyjamas
Waistcoats
Ball caps (any caps)
Monks
Flip flops(maybe at pool or beach)
Cargo strides
Anything brown
Sock garters
Sleeve garters
Green eyeshades!
High waters
Tighty whities
Coloured shoelaces
Facial hair
Opera pumps
Cummerbunds
Filson bags
Gloves in overcoat breast pockets
Galoshes

 

There's an intriguingly complex free association/stream of consciousness flow to this list. biggrin.gif

 

I really hope it isn't the result of editing, and was genuinely expounded in a single passionate bolus.

post #57 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikod View Post

flip flops
boat shoes
tassel loafers
straight or boot cut jeans (only slim legs)
cuffed jeans (except slim on the legs)
cuffed trousers
boots
longwings & gunboats
white shoes
extra elongated or pointy shoes
vintage shoes
light cream color shoes (except suede)
spadriles
matching light belts & shoes
matching suede belts & shoes
matching socks & shirts
short pants
short jackets
short shorts
"french" blue shirts
pink anything
guayabera shirts (those loose wite shirts with 4 big pockets, don't know the name in english)
red, green, yellow pants
any seasonal costume (ala BB seasons catalog)
happy socks
white socks
wide ties
wide lapels

Sounds like asking you what you actually wear would return a shorter list laugh.gif
post #58 of 173
Absolutely any leather goods in black(there is no patina so ding)
Gold buttons on blazer (but this one I am changing)
Tweed (way too warm in the tropics)
Absolutely anything with a logo on it
Seersucker or madras (linen and hand loomed cotton is good enough)
Striped or repp ties (remind me of medical reps who used to chase my doctor father)
Black tie outfit (association with bearers is too strong in my mind, velvet smoking jacket or a black tussah silk shervani are my defaults)
Any Commercial cologne (only wear bespoke)
Actually almost anything that not bespoke(advantage of living in the tropics)
Special pockets for iPhone etc
Granadine ties ( switching the lot to tussah, shantung and linen. More suited to the tropics)
post #59 of 173
That is of course total rubbish. There is no more elegant and flattering colour for men's shirt. Pink briefcases and shoes should be off limits but it works in shorts especially in the tropics. Suggest you start with pink boxers and work your way up as you build your manly confidence.
post #60 of 173
I used, to really dislike those shoes with the stitching up the front of the toe--IHNI what that's called--but I'm coming 'round to them. I hate gaudy ties/pocket squares; I see a lot of guys wear them here. Almost anything from SW&D is terrible aesthetically and objectively. No Prada/any shitty designer brand for me; it's all crap, really, but, if I saw something good from them, I wouldn't dismiss that individual piece, of course.

And, man, if I was by a pool--and in and out of the water--I would wear the shit out of some flip-flops! smile.giftongue.gif

350

>

323
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What *don't* you wear?