I don't agree with the pleats comment or at least the reasoning behind them. The pants should sit flat whether or not there are pleats.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCoats Jacketstagged by luxire, 7/7/13
- itemDolce & Gabbana - MOLESKINE JACKETtagged by bbob2013, 11/10/13
- categoryDress Pantstagged by luxire, 7/7/13
- categoryFull Length Jacketstagged by luxire, 7/7/13
- categoryJacketstagged by luxire, 7/7/13
- categoryMid Length Jacketstagged by luxire, 7/7/13
- categoryPants Shortstagged by luxire, 7/7/13
- categoryShirtstagged by SYSTEM, 8/19/12
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 4:15 am in Classic Menswear
- Your workhorse Spring/Summer cotton/linen sport jacket Last post on 5/23/15 at 10:38am in Classic Menswear
- Rick Owens black shorts, t-shirt Last post on 5/21/14 at 3:47pm in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Today at 4:09 am in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
Last edited: 5/7/15
- CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...Last edited: 3/30/15
- Knit Blazers: What Even Are They?Last edited: 2/9/15
- What it Means to be Made in ItalyLast edited: 2/9/15
- The Current State of AmericanaLast edited: 2/10/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread - Page 833
Styleforum Top Pickspost #12482 of 182939/2/14 at 12:01pmQuote:
You may not agree, but that doesn't mean you aren't wrong. With extreme proportions you'll need darts or pleats in order smooth out the fabric in the transition from a very small waist measurement to a wide seat and thigh measurement. This is often the case for muscular people.
"Tightness in the front of the thigh is often a cause of this and can be remedied by dismantling the waistband and working about 3/8" of fullness across the front of the trouser, taken from the outlet at center back, shifting everything forward. An extra dart above the back pocket (there is usually only one) is helpful for prominent seats (but difficult to add to a finished garment), and a dart in the front helps with very muscular thighs."post #12483 of 182939/2/14 at 12:13pm
My understanding of the article is that it applies for a pair of pants that are too tight. If he were to take the pair he has now and apply the suggested alterations then cool that would be great; however, for getting a new pair, why not just increase the hip area to remove the tightness?post #12484 of 182939/2/14 at 12:18pmQuote:Originally Posted by DarkDestiny
My understanding of the article is that it applies for a pair of pants that are too tight. If he were to take the pair he has now and apply the suggested alterations then cool that would be great; however, for getting a new pair, why not just increase the hip area to remove the tightness?
Because trousers are 3D, not 2D. Simply adding width will help a bit, but you'll need to take out excess fabric somewhere in order to accommodate for the difference in waist and hip/seat/thigh measurements. Darts are the right tool for that. Pleats will serve in a similar way, and they add lots of comfort when sitting down.post #12485 of 182939/2/14 at 12:32pmQuote:
Do you have forward shoulders?post #12486 of 182939/2/14 at 12:33pmpost #12487 of 182939/2/14 at 12:35pmpost #12488 of 182939/2/14 at 1:06pmpost #12489 of 182939/2/14 at 2:30pmpost #12490 of 182939/2/14 at 2:35pmpost #12491 of 182939/2/14 at 3:52pmQuote:Originally Posted by bbob2013
Getting close to dialing in my shirt measurements. I think I went a little too narrow on some part of the forearm. It get s pretty snug when bending at the elbow. I can't tell if this is due to sleeve length needing to be let out (adding approx .25'') to the forearm from elbow down.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Also, the sleeves are single pleat, someone a few pages back wanted a pic but can't remember who.
Thanks for the picture, but it's a bit hard to tell from the captured shot.post #12492 of 182939/2/14 at 8:01pmI think I've pretty much nailed my luxire fit. The shoulder angle could, maybe, get some more work. I may also have made things a little too tight after washing, I'll see.
Collar on blue is Turner's 1 piece.
Collar on the pink is NOBD's, but with a higher band and longer collar points (slightly on both).post #12493 of 182939/2/14 at 8:20pmQuote:Originally Posted by hookem12387
I think I've pretty much nailed my luxire fit. The shoulder angle could, maybe, get some more work. I may also have made things a little too tight after washing, I'll see.
Collar on blue is Turner's 1 piece.
Collar on the pink is NOBD's, but with a higher band and longer collar points (slightly on both).
Looks great man. Hate to bother, but any chance you can tie a tie on both shirts and repost photos?
I was deciding between these two collars a while back and there were not very many photos of them with a tie on to compare (I believe just one or two of each). The band height on that turner collar looks ridiculous! I ordered the same collar three weeks ago, so we will see how I like it when it finally comes (not shipped yet ).post #12494 of 182939/3/14 at 7:10amQuote:
Seconded. The fit is very close and needs only minor adjustment; there's no reason to resort to the sartorial elephant's graveyard of pleats.
(Preparing to endure a bombardment of pocketwatches, spats with kilties, Rogaine cans and fedoras from the pro-pleat lobby. Come at me bros.)post #12495 of 182939/3/14 at 8:00amWell actually, even if you're more fashion oriented, pleats are back in a big way. 9/10 guys I met at Pitti had pleated pants, big fashion houses are beginning to bring them back into their collections et c. You can dislike them sure, but not claim that they only exist in the sartorial elephant's graveyard.
2 great examples (Click to show)
@DarkDestiny is right about the point that the pants should still sit flat whether you've got pleats or not.
Edited by EFV - 9/3/14 at 8:24am
- Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...
- › Kent Wang - Affiliate thread 6 seconds ago
- › The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread 8 seconds ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 13 seconds ago
- › Reasons why New York Sucks 36 seconds ago
- › The GQ Fit (I want it as tight as possible without cutting off... 1 minute ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 3 minutes ago
- › 2015-2016 Official Football / Soccer Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 4 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 5 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...