I don't agree with the pleats comment or at least the reasoning behind them. The pants should sit flat whether or not there are pleats.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCoats Jacketstagged by luxire, 7/7/13
- itemDolce & Gabbana - MOLESKINE JACKETtagged by bbob2013, 11/10/13
- categoryDress Pantstagged by luxire, 7/7/13
- categoryFull Length Jacketstagged by luxire, 7/7/13
- categoryJacketstagged by luxire, 7/7/13
- categoryMid Length Jacketstagged by luxire, 7/7/13
- categoryPants Shortstagged by luxire, 7/7/13
- categoryShirtstagged by SYSTEM, 8/19/12
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 8:54 pm in Classic Menswear
- Your workhorse Spring/Summer cotton/linen sport jacket Last post on 5/23/15 at 10:38am in Classic Menswear
- Rick Owens black shorts, t-shirt Last post on 5/21/14 at 3:47pm in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Today at 7:27 pm in Classic Menswear
Styleforum visits De Bonne Facture at Paris Men's Week 2016
Last edited: 1/29/16
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: OuterwearLast edited: 11/11/15
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Denim and TrousersLast edited: 11/11/15
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: 10/6/15
- The Buyer's Guide to Fall JacketsLast edited: 9/7/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread - Page 833
Styleforum Top Pickspost #12482 of 215909/2/14 at 12:01pmQuote:
You may not agree, but that doesn't mean you aren't wrong. With extreme proportions you'll need darts or pleats in order smooth out the fabric in the transition from a very small waist measurement to a wide seat and thigh measurement. This is often the case for muscular people.
"Tightness in the front of the thigh is often a cause of this and can be remedied by dismantling the waistband and working about 3/8" of fullness across the front of the trouser, taken from the outlet at center back, shifting everything forward. An extra dart above the back pocket (there is usually only one) is helpful for prominent seats (but difficult to add to a finished garment), and a dart in the front helps with very muscular thighs."post #12483 of 215909/2/14 at 12:13pm
My understanding of the article is that it applies for a pair of pants that are too tight. If he were to take the pair he has now and apply the suggested alterations then cool that would be great; however, for getting a new pair, why not just increase the hip area to remove the tightness?post #12484 of 215909/2/14 at 12:18pmQuote:Originally Posted by DarkDestiny
My understanding of the article is that it applies for a pair of pants that are too tight. If he were to take the pair he has now and apply the suggested alterations then cool that would be great; however, for getting a new pair, why not just increase the hip area to remove the tightness?
Because trousers are 3D, not 2D. Simply adding width will help a bit, but you'll need to take out excess fabric somewhere in order to accommodate for the difference in waist and hip/seat/thigh measurements. Darts are the right tool for that. Pleats will serve in a similar way, and they add lots of comfort when sitting down.post #12485 of 215909/2/14 at 12:32pmQuote:
Do you have forward shoulders?post #12486 of 215909/2/14 at 12:33pmpost #12487 of 215909/2/14 at 12:35pmpost #12488 of 215909/2/14 at 1:06pmpost #12489 of 215909/2/14 at 2:30pmpost #12490 of 215909/2/14 at 2:35pmpost #12491 of 215909/2/14 at 3:52pmQuote:Originally Posted by bbob2013
Getting close to dialing in my shirt measurements. I think I went a little too narrow on some part of the forearm. It get s pretty snug when bending at the elbow. I can't tell if this is due to sleeve length needing to be let out (adding approx .25'') to the forearm from elbow down.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Also, the sleeves are single pleat, someone a few pages back wanted a pic but can't remember who.
Thanks for the picture, but it's a bit hard to tell from the captured shot.post #12492 of 215909/2/14 at 8:01pmI think I've pretty much nailed my luxire fit. The shoulder angle could, maybe, get some more work. I may also have made things a little too tight after washing, I'll see.
Collar on blue is Turner's 1 piece.
Collar on the pink is NOBD's, but with a higher band and longer collar points (slightly on both).post #12494 of 215909/3/14 at 7:10amQuote:
Seconded. The fit is very close and needs only minor adjustment; there's no reason to resort to the sartorial elephant's graveyard of pleats.
(Preparing to endure a bombardment of pocketwatches, spats with kilties, Rogaine cans and fedoras from the pro-pleat lobby. Come at me bros.)post #12495 of 215909/3/14 at 8:00amWell actually, even if you're more fashion oriented, pleats are back in a big way. 9/10 guys I met at Pitti had pleated pants, big fashion houses are beginning to bring them back into their collections et c. You can dislike them sure, but not claim that they only exist in the sartorial elephant's graveyard.
2 great examples (Click to show)
@DarkDestiny is right about the point that the pants should still sit flat whether you've got pleats or not.
Edited by EFV - 9/3/14 at 8:24am
- Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Outerwear
- › NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread 1 minute ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 3 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 4 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 6 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 11 minutes ago
- › What music are you listening to lately? 14 minutes ago
- › Ordering custom Vibergs 16 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... 20 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...