^what the poster above said sums it up really. just use your own judgement based on the situation/location as to how much you should "dress up" and go with it if you're happy
Related Forum Threads
- Any College Professors here? Last post on 9/6/11 at 4:58pm in Classic Menswear
- Brands similar to Brooks Brothers' Price Range Last post on 8/25/12 at 10:04am in Classic Menswear
- Cotton suit jacket with jeans? Last post on 6/27/12 at 8:20pm in Streetwear and Denim
- MEGATHREAD - LOTS & LOTS of PANTS, SLACKS, JEANS - All Sizes - NEW ITEMS 12/7 Last post on 2/14/12 at 6:51pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- All Sold Last post on 6/7/11 at 8:03am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how should I wash them
Last edited: 5/19/16
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...Last edited: 3/24/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
How to dress up when your friends don't - Page 2post #17 of 476/20/12 at 3:21ampost #18 of 476/20/12 at 3:24am
When you're just hanging out and lounging around with friends you don't dress up.. It's not really the right situation. Though it sounds like dress up for you might be casual for others—chinos and a polo. Suits are generally for business, or you could wear a suit if you're going to a nice club that's prominent in nightlife and draws a stylish and fashionable crowd (like The Boom Boom Room at the top of The Standard in Manhattan—not a club like Pacha). For something like that, if you want to look sharp you could wear a suit and go "ahmadinejad" without the tie. If you are going to a restaurant that is casual enough for people to wear jeans and a hoodie, then a suit probably isn't appropriate.post #19 of 476/20/12 at 4:22ampost #20 of 476/20/12 at 5:08ampost #21 of 476/20/12 at 7:10amQuote:
Hermes Man a brand whore?....
His "So High Fashion" is one of the very few clothing and fashion blogs that I read regularly...a real gem. Because it mirrors perfectly many people I've known and worked with here in China.post #22 of 476/20/12 at 2:12pmThread Starter
The thing is, this is kind of a recent change. I used to just be a short or jeans and a t-shirt guy too, but several months ago I started to lose weight which gave me more confidence, and I started to appreciate the way I look in nicer clothes. So I begun the process of upgrading my wardrobe then, and as of right now I have 3 suits, a few sport coats, some nice dress shirts, etc. but I've never really gotten an opportunity to wear them outside of job interviews and a couple of formal dinners.
A few months ago I went to Twin River casino for my friend's birthday and I wore a sport coat with a t-shirt and chinos, I'll probably just do that again. I'm thinking about wearing a beige jacket, though. Would dressy blue jeans go better with a beige jacket?
post #23 of 476/20/12 at 2:29pmpost #24 of 476/20/12 at 10:20pmQuote:
you mean like every other pencil neck spoiled spawn of new money from china all the way down to indonesiapost #25 of 476/21/12 at 1:01amThere are suits and there are suits; a cotton suit does not come off as too crisp when you wear it without a tie, and it wrinkles nicely for the casual touch.
My suggestion: khaki cotton suit with light or no padding, nice shirt, suede shoes with rubber soles (e.g. desert boots) or even tennis shoes (don't kill me...) if you are in your early twenties.
Your friends will follow your example soon enough.post #26 of 476/21/12 at 7:22pmQuote:Originally Posted by Inker19
Long time lurker, first post. I've viewed this site many times for style tips, and I now have need of your advice. This is a general question of "how to dress up when your friends don't?"
First off, I'm in my early 20s and I'll start with a specific example: My birthday is coming up very soon and I am planning to go to Foxwoods casino with a couple of friends. One of them is a jeans-and-tshirt type and the other is a raver and wears shorts, loud t-shirts, and loud accessories. Me, on the other hand, I enjoy dressing up. I've thought about wearing a button-front shirt with dress chinos or dress jeans with a blazer or maybe even a suit.
But most of the time I want to dress up when hanging out with friends who don't, I feel pressured not too and I usually just wear a casual button-down or a t-shirt with jeans or shorts. Because I feel like I would be out of place and my friends would react weird to it.
Any advice or tips? Thank you!
Your friends sound like uncouth proles. Get some new friends or dress like a lower class slobpost #27 of 476/21/12 at 8:42pmpost #28 of 476/21/12 at 9:35pmpost #29 of 476/21/12 at 10:57pmpost #30 of 476/21/12 at 11:41pm
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 47 seconds ago
- › Viberg Boots 1 minute ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 2 minutes ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 2 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 3 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 4 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 5 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 6 minutes ago
- › Jeeves x Vass MTO and GMTO Central Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...