^what the poster above said sums it up really. just use your own judgement based on the situation/location as to how much you should "dress up" and go with it if you're happy
Related Forum Threads
- Any College Professors here? Last post on 9/6/11 at 4:58pm in Classic Menswear
- Brands similar to Brooks Brothers' Price Range Last post on 8/25/12 at 10:04am in Classic Menswear
- Cotton suit jacket with jeans? Last post on 6/27/12 at 8:20pm in Streetwear and Denim
- MEGATHREAD - LOTS & LOTS of PANTS, SLACKS, JEANS - All Sizes - NEW ITEMS 12/7 Last post on 2/14/12 at 6:51pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- All Sold Last post on 6/7/11 at 8:03am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- Crane's Country Store
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- Kent Wang
- Le Noeud Papillon
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- Moda Republic
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Street Bootmakers
- Passaggio Cravatte
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
How to dress up when your friends don't - Page 2
Styleforum Top Picks
When you're just hanging out and lounging around with friends you don't dress up.. It's not really the right situation. Though it sounds like dress up for you might be casual for others—chinos and a polo. Suits are generally for business, or you could wear a suit if you're going to a nice club that's prominent in nightlife and draws a stylish and fashionable crowd (like The Boom Boom Room at the top of The Standard in Manhattan—not a club like Pacha). For something like that, if you want to look sharp you could wear a suit and go "ahmadinejad" without the tie. If you are going to a restaurant that is casual enough for people to wear jeans and a hoodie, then a suit probably isn't appropriate.
Hermes Man a brand whore?....
His "So High Fashion" is one of the very few clothing and fashion blogs that I read regularly...a real gem. Because it mirrors perfectly many people I've known and worked with here in China.
The thing is, this is kind of a recent change. I used to just be a short or jeans and a t-shirt guy too, but several months ago I started to lose weight which gave me more confidence, and I started to appreciate the way I look in nicer clothes. So I begun the process of upgrading my wardrobe then, and as of right now I have 3 suits, a few sport coats, some nice dress shirts, etc. but I've never really gotten an opportunity to wear them outside of job interviews and a couple of formal dinners.
A few months ago I went to Twin River casino for my friend's birthday and I wore a sport coat with a t-shirt and chinos, I'll probably just do that again. I'm thinking about wearing a beige jacket, though. Would dressy blue jeans go better with a beige jacket?
you mean like every other pencil neck spoiled spawn of new money from china all the way down to indonesia
My suggestion: khaki cotton suit with light or no padding, nice shirt, suede shoes with rubber soles (e.g. desert boots) or even tennis shoes (don't kill me...) if you are in your early twenties.
Your friends will follow your example soon enough.
Long time lurker, first post. I've viewed this site many times for style tips, and I now have need of your advice. This is a general question of "how to dress up when your friends don't?"
First off, I'm in my early 20s and I'll start with a specific example: My birthday is coming up very soon and I am planning to go to Foxwoods casino with a couple of friends. One of them is a jeans-and-tshirt type and the other is a raver and wears shorts, loud t-shirts, and loud accessories. Me, on the other hand, I enjoy dressing up. I've thought about wearing a button-front shirt with dress chinos or dress jeans with a blazer or maybe even a suit.
But most of the time I want to dress up when hanging out with friends who don't, I feel pressured not too and I usually just wear a casual button-down or a t-shirt with jeans or shorts. Because I feel like I would be out of place and my friends would react weird to it.
Any advice or tips? Thank you!
Your friends sound like uncouth proles. Get some new friends or dress like a lower class slob
- How to dress up when your friends don't
- › The WAYWT Discussion Thread 7 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 14 seconds ago
- › Style in Madrid in June 45 seconds ago
- › Vanson/Styleforum/Thurston Bros slim fit Japanese double rider MTO 46 seconds ago
- › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread 51 seconds ago
- › Show us how you roll in EG 1 minute ago
- › Recent Purchases 1 minute ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III 2 minutes ago
- › new Yoox codes and sales - post them here 4 minutes ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 5 minutes ago
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › Adidas x The Soloist Rod Laver Vin by BenMusch
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques... by mimo
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits by LA Guy
- › San Francisco Shopping Map by j
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers) by alyssaw