^what the poster above said sums it up really. just use your own judgement based on the situation/location as to how much you should "dress up" and go with it if you're happy
Related Forum Threads
- Any College Professors here? Last post on 9/6/11 at 4:58pm in Classic Menswear
- Brands similar to Brooks Brothers' Price Range Last post on 8/25/12 at 10:04am in Classic Menswear
- Cotton suit jacket with jeans? Last post on 6/27/12 at 8:20pm in Streetwear and Denim
- MEGATHREAD - LOTS & LOTS of PANTS, SLACKS, JEANS - All Sizes - NEW ITEMS 12/7 Last post on 2/14/12 at 6:51pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- All Sold Last post on 6/7/11 at 8:03am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
Choosing Men's Designer Suits
Last edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gagliano & Company
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Urban Fine Socks
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
How to dress up when your friends don't - Page 2
Styleforum Top Pickspost #17 of 476/20/12 at 3:21ampost #18 of 476/20/12 at 3:24am
When you're just hanging out and lounging around with friends you don't dress up.. It's not really the right situation. Though it sounds like dress up for you might be casual for others—chinos and a polo. Suits are generally for business, or you could wear a suit if you're going to a nice club that's prominent in nightlife and draws a stylish and fashionable crowd (like The Boom Boom Room at the top of The Standard in Manhattan—not a club like Pacha). For something like that, if you want to look sharp you could wear a suit and go "ahmadinejad" without the tie. If you are going to a restaurant that is casual enough for people to wear jeans and a hoodie, then a suit probably isn't appropriate.post #19 of 476/20/12 at 4:22ampost #20 of 476/20/12 at 5:08ampost #21 of 476/20/12 at 7:10amQuote:
Hermes Man a brand whore?....
His "So High Fashion" is one of the very few clothing and fashion blogs that I read regularly...a real gem. Because it mirrors perfectly many people I've known and worked with here in China.post #22 of 476/20/12 at 2:12pmThread Starter
The thing is, this is kind of a recent change. I used to just be a short or jeans and a t-shirt guy too, but several months ago I started to lose weight which gave me more confidence, and I started to appreciate the way I look in nicer clothes. So I begun the process of upgrading my wardrobe then, and as of right now I have 3 suits, a few sport coats, some nice dress shirts, etc. but I've never really gotten an opportunity to wear them outside of job interviews and a couple of formal dinners.
A few months ago I went to Twin River casino for my friend's birthday and I wore a sport coat with a t-shirt and chinos, I'll probably just do that again. I'm thinking about wearing a beige jacket, though. Would dressy blue jeans go better with a beige jacket?
post #23 of 476/20/12 at 2:29pmpost #24 of 476/20/12 at 10:20pmQuote:
you mean like every other pencil neck spoiled spawn of new money from china all the way down to indonesiapost #25 of 476/21/12 at 1:01amThere are suits and there are suits; a cotton suit does not come off as too crisp when you wear it without a tie, and it wrinkles nicely for the casual touch.
My suggestion: khaki cotton suit with light or no padding, nice shirt, suede shoes with rubber soles (e.g. desert boots) or even tennis shoes (don't kill me...) if you are in your early twenties.
Your friends will follow your example soon enough.post #26 of 476/21/12 at 7:22pmQuote:Originally Posted by Inker19
Long time lurker, first post. I've viewed this site many times for style tips, and I now have need of your advice. This is a general question of "how to dress up when your friends don't?"
First off, I'm in my early 20s and I'll start with a specific example: My birthday is coming up very soon and I am planning to go to Foxwoods casino with a couple of friends. One of them is a jeans-and-tshirt type and the other is a raver and wears shorts, loud t-shirts, and loud accessories. Me, on the other hand, I enjoy dressing up. I've thought about wearing a button-front shirt with dress chinos or dress jeans with a blazer or maybe even a suit.
But most of the time I want to dress up when hanging out with friends who don't, I feel pressured not too and I usually just wear a casual button-down or a t-shirt with jeans or shorts. Because I feel like I would be out of place and my friends would react weird to it.
Any advice or tips? Thank you!
Your friends sound like uncouth proles. Get some new friends or dress like a lower class slobpost #27 of 476/21/12 at 8:42pmpost #28 of 476/21/12 at 9:35pmpost #29 of 476/21/12 at 10:57pm
- How to dress up when your friends don't
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 4 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 4 minutes ago
- › The new official TOJ thread, 2011 7 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 9 minutes ago
- › Undercoverism Gorilla Long-Sleeve Tee 13 minutes ago
- › The New Official Wolf vs. Goat Thread 13 minutes ago
- › Helmut Lang Denim Trucker 14 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 19 minutes ago
- › ***The Official eBay / B&S / eShop Someone-Should-Kop Thread*** 34 minutes ago
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › The Styleforum Brief: December 2014
- › What I Learned from Slim Denim
- › How to Smell Fabulous for the Holidays
- › Last Minute Gifts for Dad
- › The Joy of Bad Christmas Movies
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...
- › The Styleforum Brief: November 2014
- › Prof. Fab’s Holiday Gift Guide: In...
- › MEET THE PRESS
- › How to Survive the Holidays with Your...