or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Bringing Steed Bespoke Tailors to San Francisco or Los Angeles
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bringing Steed Bespoke Tailors to San Francisco or Los Angeles

post #1 of 85
Thread Starter 
I'd like to gauge the interest level in bringing Steed Bespoke Tailors to either San Francisco or Los Angeles. They've been asked by a small amount of people over the last few years if they would make a West Coast trip, but they need considerable interest and guaranteed orders up front, as it's very time consuming and expensive to start further trips in addition to the four they currently make on the East Coast.

Would any members here be interested? I'm currently talking to Matthew now, and he notes that the soonest they could come is early 2013.

If you are interested, please note whether you could meet them in San Francisco or Los Angeles. I'm personally happy to travel to either.

For those unfamiliar, you can get more information about Steed at their website and this thread.
Edited by dieworkwear - 6/21/12 at 11:52am
post #2 of 85
Thread Starter 
Anybody? There has to be a few Californians here interested.
post #3 of 85
I think that it would be interesting to have a suit made by them (or maybe, for me, a sportsjacket that would make some of you blanch) and document the process as well. I wonder what is the heaviest cloth that they have, and whether it could handle some real sports.
post #4 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

I think that it would be interesting to have a suit made by them (or maybe, for me, a sportsjacket that would make some of you blanch) and document the process as well. I wonder what is the heaviest cloth that they have, and whether it could handle some real sports.

Steed has a short four part, start to finish, series called, "A Work in Progress," about the making of two jackets:

http://steeds-view.blogspot.com/

The links are in their own box in the right hand navigation column.

As I noted in the A&S expat thread recently, when the new Steed website goes up, bespoke customers can follow the progress of their orders online.

The heaviest cloth they have is the heaviest cloth one might obtain in the UK or the heaviest that a customer might bring to them to make up.
Edited by F. Corbera - 6/22/12 at 7:09am
post #5 of 85
Thread Starter 
Make them run to California and there will be a prize in it for you (whatever LeatherSoul sent me for voting).
post #6 of 85
San fran
post #7 of 85
You know Savile Row suits are out of my price range you dig!
post #8 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

Anybody? There has to be a few Californians here interested.

Why - rather more informal generally.
post #9 of 85
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR View Post

Why - rather more informal generally.

True, but half of SF is more or less dedicated to tailored clothing, and the anniversary party was well attended. So I assume there has to be a handful of Californians who might be interested in getting something from one of the best tailors in the world.
post #10 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

True, but half of SF is more or less dedicated to tailored clothing...

Which half, the top half or the bottom half?

confused.gif
post #11 of 85
More like a third of a half these days.
post #12 of 85
I'd be interested if he visits San Francisco.
post #13 of 85
Thread Starter 
I spoke with Edwin today and he notes that they could come out if they had upwards of ten orders. We have three interested parties so far, so I thought I'd make one final push to see if anyone else is interested.

Steed does fantastic work, some of which you can see in their online gallery. If you're interested, please let me know. I think it would be quite a special thing if we could get them to come out.
post #14 of 85
One reality that's facing you is that the vanishingly small (vanished?) contingent of coat and tie wearers in Cali who are also interested in the London Lounge look of A&S are already being serviced by A&S and also by Tom Mahon (does Tom still travel to San Francisco?)

I'm surprised that Mina trucks out there...I have my doubts there's enough continuing demand after the initial flurry. After the charm of seeing Alcatraz wears off, it could be too exhausting to dodge the hipsters and derelicts.

A traveling business is built on customers who order every trip or at least every year, year in, year out.
post #15 of 85
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Corbera View Post

One reality that's facing you is that the vanishingly small (vanished?) contingent of coat and tie wearers in Cali who are also interested in the London Lounge look of A&S are already being serviced by A&S and also by Tom Mahon (does Tom still travel to San Francisco?)
I'm surprised that Mina trucks out there...I have my doubts there's enough continuing demand after the initial flurry. After the charm of seeing Alcatraz wears off, it could be too exhausting to dodge the hipsters and derelicts.
A traveling business is built on customers who order every trip or at least every year, year in, year out.

Mahon still visits, but I feel like Steed offers something unique, even when compared to A&S and Mahon. I would have thought there'd be people interested in trying that out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Bringing Steed Bespoke Tailors to San Francisco or Los Angeles