or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Case for & against Three-Button Coats
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Case for & against Three-Button Coats - Page 2

post #16 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despos View Post

If you want a Rubinacci suit but prefer 2 button, I don't mind making them. Will charge you their price as well if it makes you feel better and provides a better experience for you.
I get the 3 roll 2 concept and appreciation it but I still dislike how the top button interrupts the beautiful roll of the lapel.


So selfless!


I'm short, and agree with the 6 foot rule. I have one three button suit, and every time I wear it I feel like it's shortening me. I like the traditional english three button on other people, but not on me.
post #17 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despos View Post

I get the 3 roll 2 concept and appreciation it but I still dislike how the top button interrupts the beautiful roll of the lapel.

Not to mention the discolored bump that occurs on the button side of the lapel roll if you don't have your coat expertly cleaned. Per the buttonhole interrupting the roll, I like 3-roll-2 if the jacket is patterned so that the hole isn't as apparent. For solid colors I think the buttonhole definitely does the roll a disservice.
post #18 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despos View Post

If you want a Rubinacci suit but prefer 2 button, I don't mind making them. Will charge you their price as well if it makes you feel better and provides a better experience for you.
I get the 3 roll 2 concept and appreciation it but I still dislike how the top button interrupts the beautiful roll of the lapel.


So selfless!

It pleases me to please others
post #19 of 32
This pleases me.
post #20 of 32
Like the human vermiform appendix, someday that top button of a three button jacket will go the way of a vestigial organ. The evolution is already taking place with the 3 roll 2 business. The only "purpose" of the appendix in modern day is to fester a fecalith that will either kill a patient, or keep physicians up at night removing it.

The only button that will matter is the main fulcrum button.

A lower button might help in windy situations like below, but that's about it . . .

vsfr.jpg

- M
post #21 of 32
I find the two button the most flattering on the average build. One is a bit too aggressive, three looks dowdy.


The below cut looks best going out at night but isn't a great choice for business wear.

277
post #22 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despos View Post

I get the 3 roll 2 concept and appreciation it but I still dislike how the top button interrupts the beautiful roll of the lapel.

Is the line of the lapel the whole though? It's part of the overall jacket. There is something about the button and hole, even if you don't quite see them. There is an elegance there, that I just can't see in a two button. One button, sure. That has a boldness that is it's own justification.
I've got a number of two button jackets in my closet, but I can't see ever buying another, as much as I hate to say never.
post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmkn View Post

Like the human vermiform appendix, someday that top button of a three button jacket will go the way of a vestigial organ. The evolution is already taking place with the 3 roll 2 business. The only "purpose" of the appendix in modern day is to fester a fecalith that will either kill a patient, or keep physicians up at night removing it.
The only button that will matter is the main fulcrum button.
A lower button might help in windy situations like below, but that's about it . . . Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
vsfr.jpg
- M

There is contemporary research that points to the vermiform appendix as a repository for intestinal flora, so that it may be repopulated after some debilitating illness. As gut bacteria is essential to the overall health of the individual, I wouldn't count the disparaged appendix out quite so quickly, nor the top button.
post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archivist View Post


There is contemporary research that points to the vermiform appendix as a repository for intestinal flora, so that it may be repopulated after some debilitating illness. As gut bacteria is essential to the overall health of the individual, I wouldn't count the disparaged appendix out quite so quickly, nor the top button.

It's like you read my mind man, spooky!
post #25 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by emc894 View Post

I find the two button the most flattering on the average build. One is a bit too aggressive, three looks dowdy.
The below cut looks best going out at night but isn't a great choice for business wear.
277

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this cut for business wear. It looks most flattering on most people especially if bespoke. Would probably use a different fabric from the one in the photo though :-)
post #26 of 32
you do sometimes see shorter men wearing flattering three button jackets

IMHO it is partly because it is unexpected that it is more impressive than a two button jacket would on the same person
post #27 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post

used to prefer 3, now like 2 better. still wear both, but never button the top button of the 3s

 

I'm a proud 2-button guy.

post #28 of 32
I might pop a cork.

Let's hope it is the right one.
post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Corbera View Post

I might pork a cop.
Let's hope it is the right one.
post #30 of 32

Was there anyone of iconic status in the world of style - actor, president, nobleman, etc. - who regularly wore the kind of three-button that Amies was talking about (the "2 and a half", where the top button could be buttoned, but it's not supposed to be)? I'd love to see how it "really should" fit. :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Case for & against Three-Button Coats