or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › H&M x Margiela Collaboration
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

H&M x Margiela Collaboration

post #1 of 794
Thread Starter 
Is there already a discussion on this somewhere? I was expecting there to already be a 20 page thread going on about this but don't see anything.



"It’s official! Maison Martin Margiela is teaming up with H&M on a collection due out in the fall.

Maison Martin Margiela was founded by Martin Margiela, 55, the reclusive Belgian designer known for his avant garde work. Though Margiela retired in 2009, an in-house team at the fashion house continues to churn out crazy designs like cleft-toe shoes, plastic fur coats, and all sorts of deconstructed pieces.

While wild celebs like Lady Gaga adore the brand, Michelle Obama has also been seen sporting Margiela. Kanye West even referenced the house in a song on his "Watch the Throne" album with Jay-Z.

H&M confirmed to WWD that the collaboration will hit stores Nov. 15. The fast fashion retailer’s creative advisor, Margareta van den Bosch, gave this quote: “This collaboration will be a great and memorable fashion moment.”

Margiela issued a statement that was a bit more descriptive:

“The democracy of our fashion has always been at the center of our creativity, and the collaboration with H&M allows us to push this instinct further. We will bring together the contrasting universes of the two houses in ways that will surprise all.”
post #2 of 794
It was talked about in the Random Fashion Thoughts thread a little bit. Most people didn't like the idea.
post #3 of 794

Margiela is still more of an insider brand so its a weird collaboration from H&M's point of view ... they normally go for more popular names and and then come out with over the top collections. 

 

For Margiela ... it may be a way of introducing the brand to a wider audience. 

post #4 of 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by trum01 View Post

Margiela is still more of an insider brand so its a weird collaboration from H&M's point of view ... they normally go for more popular names and and then come out with over the top collections. 

For Margiela ... it may be a way of introducing the brand to a wider audience. 


MMM is owned by PPR / Gucci Group or what they are called, so I think they are go the sell out making a quick buck route.

Edit: It's Diesel, but same same.
Edited by Find Finn - 6/23/12 at 3:34am
post #5 of 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by trum01 View Post

Margiela is still more of an insider brand so its a weird collaboration from H&M's point of view ... they normally go for more popular names and and then come out with over the top collections. 

 

For Margiela ... it may be a way of introducing the brand to a wider audience. 

 

MMM is extremely well known and loved all over the world.  I am sure this collab is not to "introduce" the brand.  If you think about it, the H/M and Margiela clients are polar opposite.  One is founded to dress the masses in a somewhat hip method for not a lot of money while the other is trendy yet still appeals to lots of people of various backgrounds due to their use of high-quality materials and tailoring.  These types of collabs bring real style to mallish stores using mass materials.  I suspect the reason Margiela is doing the collab is to give the H/M younger buyer a well designed and tailored garment for not a lot of money.  Or, maybe they plan to introduce a MM6-ish line that will be priced lower then the Margiela line and this is a way to get the H/M younger customer on board.

 

Whatever the reason, I don't agree with these types of collabs simply because it has a sense of cheapening the brand.  But at the same time the typical Margiela consumer understands the mainline stuff is going to be designed and will use much better materials etc. 

post #6 of 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Find Finn View Post


MMM is owned by PPR / Gucci Group or what they are called, so I think they are go the sell out making a quick buck route.
Edit: It's Diesel, but same same.


I think MMM is owned by Diesel but PPR (Gucci) does not own Diesel.

 

PPR, at least to my knowledge, is:  Gucci, Bottega, YSL, McQueen, Balenciaga, SM, and a couple others.

post #7 of 794

Can't wait to see what's coming. I have bought some of my favorite clothes from h&m collaborations. Especially liked Lanvin merino cardigans and Marni trousers.

post #8 of 794
I'm kinda looking forward to see the collection. But without a doubt this is a ploy by MMM to expose the brand to the young/fashionable demographic so they will spend the $$$ tomorrow for the real thing. I'm almost hoping that there won't be anything in the collab that I'll want to kop. However, an MMM designed blazer in $100-$200 might be nice. Too bad you'll probably need to wait in line for 12 hours for a chance to get a piece before the eBayers do.
post #9 of 794

Eventually all men clothes will be at least -50% off

post #10 of 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by transient View Post

I'm kinda looking forward to see the collection. But without a doubt this is a ploy by MMM to expose the brand to the young/fashionable demographic so they will spend the $$$ tomorrow for the real thing. I'm almost hoping that there won't be anything in the collab that I'll want to kop. However, an MMM designed blazer in $100-$200 might be nice. Too bad you'll probably need to wait in line for 12 hours for a chance to get a piece before the eBayers do.

2 years ago I was buying MMM jackets at century 21 for like $110 and shirts and trousers for $30-50ish. Couldn't even sell them on here or sufu at cost. Don't know when the brand got so popular on the internet.
post #11 of 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji View Post


2 years ago I was buying MMM jackets at century 21 for like $110 and shirts and trousers for $30-50ish. Couldn't even sell them on here or sufu at cost. Don't know when the brand got so popular on the internet.

 

Mostly because of celebrities and GATs. The brand itself is more popular than it should be. 10 trousers were awful super thin cotton and 22 oxford shoes felt cheap like glued together.  

post #12 of 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji View Post

2 years ago I was buying MMM jackets at century 21 for like $110 and shirts and trousers for $30-50ish. Couldn't even sell them on here or sufu at cost. Don't know when the brand got so popular on the internet.

You can buy all kind of labels at outlets. Usually the deadstock no one wants to touch with a ten-foot-pole. Not really sure whats your point.
post #13 of 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by forever28 View Post

Mostly because of RegisDB9. The brand itself is more popular than it should be. 10 trousers were awful super thin cotton and 22 oxford shoes felt cheap like glued together.  

ftfy
post #14 of 794
Quote:
Eventually all men clothes will be at least -50% off

Really? The Versace stuff sold out instantly around here.
post #15 of 794

I didn't go to Versace, Lanvin or Marni but I went to check out cdg.  It was actually really hardcore like a mix of supermarket sweep and a prison riot.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › H&M x Margiela Collaboration