Hi all. I am going to a wedding this weekend and will be wearing a light grey suit, white spread collar shirt, white pocket square and a solid navy silk tie. I can't decide whether to wear plain black oxfords or a caramel colored wing tip. Also, any recommendations on what color/pattern sock I should go with? I was looking for something with color but I have no idea. Thanks in advance!
Related Forum Threads
- The Kent Wang Wedding Photo Contest Last post on 7/21/15 at 3:06pm in Classic Menswear
- Wolf vs. Goat Official Affiliate Thread - New April 16, 2015 Last post on Yesterday at 6:55 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Styleforum 2014 Holiday Charity Auctions - 100% of proceeds go to support the Ronald McDonald... Last post on 4/2/15 at 3:45pm in Classic Menswear
- Classic Menswear Lounge Last post on Today at 8:48 am in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Today at 7:12 am in Classic Menswear
What I learned from my own wedding day, and how it can help you.
Last edited: 7/9/15
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88Last edited: 7/26/15
- The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015Last edited: 7/12/15
- Help! I need a suit for a wedding!Last edited: 7/12/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Light grey suit . What shoes and socks to wear to a wedding?post #1 of 596/12/12 at 8:16pmThread Starter
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2 of 596/12/12 at 9:49pmpost #3 of 596/13/12 at 7:50amThread Starterpost #4 of 596/13/12 at 8:56ampost #5 of 596/13/12 at 8:59ampost #6 of 596/13/12 at 9:08amI was recently at a wedding and wore pretty much the same combo, save for a navy tie with white polka dots. Maybe it wasn't the best choice, but I wore a pair of dark oak double monks. It was a morning wedding in West Palm Beach, and it was more on the casual side. Maybe for an evening wedding I would have gone with black shoes. I thought about bright socks, but it was an orthodox Jewish ceremony, so I decided to go more conservative. I didn't want to offend the groom's sensibilities, even though he was my best man at my wedding, at which he gave the most humiliating and inappropriate speech ever - my friends are still talking about it to this daypost #7 of 596/13/12 at 9:19ampost #8 of 596/13/12 at 9:50ampost #9 of 596/13/12 at 9:56amQuote:
I would like to bring to your attention that we have solved the "What sock do I wear with a navy striped suit" question.post #10 of 596/13/12 at 10:31ampost #11 of 596/13/12 at 10:48amI have worn the exact outfit you describe to a summer wedding with walnut AE Strands and light grey socks to match the suit. I didn't feel like I was drawing too much attention, mainly because aside from the shoes, everything else was fairly conservative. I know black shoes with a light grey suit is perfectly fine and maybe preferable for others, but to me, light grey works better with light to medium brown -- perhaps burgundy too, though I haven't tried this yet -- shoes. Either will work, so you just have to decide, for the occasion, where you want to be on the spectrum from black oxfords and light grey socks (most conservative), to either the black oxfords and colorful socks or the caramel wingtips and light grey socks, and finally the caramel wingtips and colorful socks (least conservative).post #12 of 596/13/12 at 11:02amQuote:Originally Posted by Papa Doble
I have worn the exact outfit you describe to a summer wedding with walnut AE Strands and light grey socks to match the suit. I didn't feel like I was drawing too much attention, mainly because aside from the shoes, everything else was fairly conservative. I know black shoes with a light grey suit is perfectly fine and maybe preferable for others, but to me, light grey works better with light to medium brown -- perhaps burgundy too, though I haven't tried this yet -- shoes. Either will work, so you just have to decide, for the occasion, where you want to be on the spectrum from black oxfords and light grey socks (most conservative), to either the black oxfords and colorful socks or the caramel wingtips and light grey socks, and finally the caramel wingtips and colorful socks (least conservative).
I have worn light grey with both Walnut and Merlot color shoes, and they look great. The look, however, is a bit flashier and less conservative than black. I would rank the Merlot somewhere between black and walnut in terms of the level of flashiness.post #13 of 596/13/12 at 11:06amQuote:
That sounds about right to me, assuming we're comparing the same style of shoe across colors.post #14 of 596/13/12 at 2:26pmpost #15 of 596/14/12 at 9:45pmThread Starter
Thanks All! I think I am going to go with the walnut wingtips. I just can't decide on socks. Do you think the striped blue/navy/grey socks in the top of the 2nd picture would work or is there too much going on? I tried to include my tie and pants in the picture. I am new to SF so take it easy on me too
Edited by ramze - 6/18/12 at 12:58pm
- Light grey suit . What shoes and socks to wear to a wedding?
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 1 minute ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 2 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 4 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 4 minutes ago
- › *Edited* Helping a rural Midwestern find his classic style 4 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 4 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 5 minutes ago
- › 8 Things You Might Not Know About H&M 6 minutes ago
- › Kent Wang - Affiliate thread 7 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...