or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Alden MTO Boot Group Order via Alden DC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Alden MTO Boot Group Order via Alden DC - Page 8

post #106 of 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0waterbouys View Post

Thanks!

Thank you man...lots of work you did.
post #107 of 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAB View Post

I assume there must be pictures floating around of #4 but I cant seem to track them down immediately; isn't #4 quite red in color?
tumblr_m3s8fdDXbV1qb0bszo1_500.jpg
post #108 of 477
Submitted....thx for pulling all of this together!
post #109 of 477

I submitted via Google Docs as well.  Thanks for all the legwork (or bootwork) on this.

 

I'm still confused as to why virtually everyone wants the "all eyelets" option.  Isn't it a colossal pain in the ass to lace up 9 holes each morning?  Especially in a situation where you're not wearing the boots with hemmed trousers, it would seem to me that speed hooks are much more efficient.  If the goal is to wear with suite, I get it, but that would also imply that you'd opt against the commando sole.

 

Please enlighten me :)

post #110 of 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeebs View Post

I submitted via Google Docs as well.  Thanks for all the legwork (or bootwork) on this.

I'm still confused as to why virtually everyone wants the "all eyelets" option.  Isn't it a colossal pain in the ass to lace up 9 holes each morning?  Especially in a situation where you're not wearing the boots with hemmed trousers, it would seem to me that speed hooks are much more efficient.  If the goal is to wear with suite, I get it, but that would also imply that you'd opt against the commando sole.

Please enlighten me smile.gif

I find Alden speedhooks cheap and aesthetically unappealing. I think they also make the shoe less versatile, meaning you (or at least I) would NEVER wear the boot unless I was in jeans or chinos. The inconvenience of having to take 15 seconds to lace them in the morning is far less than having them sitting in a box under your bed (where I keep mine) Monday through Friday because you want to save 30 seconds it would take to have a boot you can wear all the time. Its not 9 holes you'd be lacing, just the top three, exactly what I do for my hockey skates.

I don't think the commando makes it totally unwearable with flannel trousers. Wouldn't wear commando with a suit, but its low profile enough not to be a deal breaker for me though I prefer a double leather or waterlock.
post #111 of 477
Thread Starter 

I agree. Alden speed hooks seem poorly attached in my experience. They always seem loose and in one instance I have even had some pop off and tear a small portion of the cordovan with it. I'd gladly take the extra time lacing than have that happen again.

post #112 of 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeebs View Post

I submitted via Google Docs as well.  Thanks for all the legwork (or bootwork) on this.

I'm still confused as to why virtually everyone wants the "all eyelets" option.  Isn't it a colossal pain in the ass to lace up 9 holes each morning?  Especially in a situation where you're not wearing the boots with hemmed trousers, it would seem to me that speed hooks are much more efficient.  If the goal is to wear with suite, I get it, but that would also imply that you'd opt against the commando sole.

Please enlighten me smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger View Post

I find Alden speedhooks cheap and aesthetically unappealing. I think they also make the shoe less versatile, meaning you (or at least I) would NEVER wear the boot unless I was in jeans or chinos. The inconvenience of having to take 15 seconds to lace them in the morning is far less than having them sitting in a box under your bed (where I keep mine) Monday through Friday because you want to save 30 seconds it would take to have a boot you can wear all the time. Its not 9 holes you'd be lacing, just the top three, exactly what I do for my hockey skates.
I don't think the commando makes it totally unwearable with flannel trousers. Wouldn't wear commando with a suit, but its low profile enough not to be a deal breaker for me though I prefer a double leather or waterlock.

+1, and all eyelets just look better all around
post #113 of 477
Along with the points everyone brought up, I find that the eyelets give me way more flexibility in how I want to lace the boots up - I can loosen up the top if it gets too tight and not worry about the damn laces coming off the speedhooks. Admittedly it's kinda annoying but definitely worth the extra half minute or whatever.
post #114 of 477

^ thanks for the comments everyone.  i have a little dilemma: i ordered ravello wingtip boots on shoemart, and they have speed hooks and double leather soles.  based on what i've heard, it sounds like i'd be better suited w/ all eyelets and double waterlock/commando soles.  i know i can swap out my soles, but not sure what to do about the laces, esp since i want ability to wear with these boots with suits.  but ravello is so damn hard to find....i know, i know, there are bigger problems in this world, but would love some guidance....

post #115 of 477
you can get speedhooks replaced with eyelets from b. nelson..

"Can I have speed hooks converted to eyelets?
B Nelson will do it for $12 per eyelet (not per pair). A standard Alden boot with 4 pairs of speed hooks would therefore run $96. The top four eyelets would be off-centered with the bottom five, which is often done to compensate for the oblong size of the speed hooks."
post #116 of 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeebs View Post

^ thanks for the comments everyone.  i have a little dilemma: i ordered ravello wingtip boots on shoemart, and they have speed hooks and double leather soles.  based on what i've heard, it sounds like i'd be better suited w/ all eyelets and double waterlock/commando soles.  i know i can swap out my soles, but not sure what to do about the laces, esp since i want ability to wear with these boots with suits.  but ravello is so damn hard to find....i know, i know, there are bigger problems in this world, but would love some guidance....

I'd go by the bird-in-the-hand philosophy and keep them, but then I don't mind speed hooks.
Seems like if you're willing to wear a commando sole wing tip boot with a suit, speed hooks shouldn't be a deal killer.

Remember there was a Cigar/Whiskey/Ravello shell shortage in 2008 too.
http://www.styleforum.net/t/54922/alden-price-increase
I don't think it was until mid/late 2009 when it started becoming more available.

Oh, and my personal opinion is that replacing speed hooks with eyelets looks like ass.
post #117 of 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0waterbouys View Post


Where are you located?


Edit: I just got off the phone with Alden DC to check your query (and others who are outside the states) and they said it would most likely be a non-issue to ship internationally. 

You might want to double check this. The Alden MTO's we have with Epaulet and Leffot were restricted from being shipped internationally (US and Canada only) which we found out about after the pre-orders were initiated. I was under the impression that this was a recent new policy from Alden. Both Epaulet and Leffot ship plenty of other stuff internationally so it doesn't make sense for it to be a store policy that they both coincidentally implemented simultaneously. They are both located in New York though... patch[1].giftinfoil.gif Context Clothing doesn't seem to mention this restriction on their Alden page as well. So, interesting.
post #118 of 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAB View Post

okay, ill kick off with a proposal to do the following makeup
- cigar shell boot
- antique edges
- perforated cap toe
- barrie or leydon last
- speedhooks
- commando soles or double leather
- 360 or closed heel (I havent figured out myself yet
in the end it would look rather similar to this one
7181043567_476a235089.jpg
10r95w7 by SLAB13, on Flickr

This has been my holy grail ever since I laid eyes on it.  Count me in if this comes to fruition.

 

Edit:  The exact one in the picture, not the one described in the post with speed hooks or closed heel.  Might as well just buy the the cigar captoe DC sells as its not to dissimilar from what you are describing minus the perf toe and last.


Edited by Bakes11771 - 6/19/12 at 7:07pm
post #119 of 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrich7 View Post

I actually spoke to Kathy a few weeks ago about doing a:
Cigar
plain toe boot
on the barrie last
w/ antique edgetrim
and all eyelets
...and she seemed very open to the idea.
That would be my preference. Maybe on a double waterlock or commando sole.
Also, just to add, possibly whiskey instead of cigar would be nice. Never seen a whiskey plain toe boot, and Kathy did do the whiskey indy last go-around. So maybe she can come by some whiskey again.
Remember how nice these Leather Soul make-ups were?
232

Frans Boone is taking preorders on a Plain Toe Cigar Boot currently, as mentioned in the official Alden thread.

 

Also, Someone mentioned #4 LHS, which I'd be down for as well.  Also Mahogany, if there is even such a thing anymore?

post #120 of 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

This has been my holy grail ever since I laid eyes on it.  Count me in if this comes to fruition.

It's my holy grail as well. I don't know why anyone hasn't made it up already.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Alden MTO Boot Group Order via Alden DC