or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Men's watch at the $5K mark?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Men's watch at the $5K mark? - Page 5

post #61 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post

Good stuff. ADs are your safest best and give the best experience.
Pics?

I personally think so; it's the only way to be absolutely sure that the warranty will be 100% intact (plus if you have a problem very early on they'll often replace it for you instead of making you go through the manufacturer's warranty process). However, others vehemently disagree and will only buy pre-owned or grey market (BNIB but not from AD). Once you know what you're doing, what you're looking for and who you can trust these are just fine outlets for purchasing watches (even if not my particular choice).
post #62 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle View Post

The Rolex was from on AD, the IWCs and Omegas from another. However, initially I received introductions to both (one from a family friend, the other from someone on Time Zone). Spend some time on some watch-specific forums and you should be able to find some good introductions yourself.

Well I read TZ a lot, have purchased through it and have an account but don't really post there. Good advice though.
post #63 of 163
Chopard_Mille_Miglia_Gran_Turismo_Xl.jpg

lv_tambour_bf_gmt.jpg

mtr_11_0124_louisvuitton_tambour_r--gate_navy_02.jpg

OmegaSeaMasterPlanetOcean.jpg

rolex_explorer_oyster_perpetual_39mm.jpg
Edited by hermes man - 7/6/12 at 10:58pm
post #64 of 163
Oh Snapz Hermes man is Back!!!! foo.giffoo.giffoo.gificon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #65 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by lychyrychy View Post

Oh Snapz Hermes man is Back!!!! foo.giffoo.giffoo.gificon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

How'd someone with such awful taste manage to include the SMPO and EXP? I guess it's really as my mother's tennis instructor once told her: sometimes even the blind squirrel finds the nuts.

I'd shred $5k before I'd wear that LV...
post #66 of 163
That Louis Vuitton is certainly a beautiful timepiece. You have such good taste Hermes Man.
post #67 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDT View Post

That Louis Vuitton is certainly a beautiful timepiece. You have such good taste Hermes Man.

thanks , i find it beautiful too however i am concerned about the image and prestige of a louis vuitton watch

what are the general perception towards the watch? luxury? expensive?

i doubt they would get the same recognition as the rolex explorer

but the explorer is way too plain... daytona and yatchmaster ii are way too expensive
post #68 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermes man View Post

thanks , i find it beautiful too however i am concerned about the image and prestige of a louis vuitton watch
what are the general perception towards the watch? luxury? expensive?
i doubt they would get the same recognition as the rolex explorer
but the explorer is way too plain... daytona and yatchmaster ii are way too expensive

If you have to ask "what kind of image does it present?" then it's automatically the wrong watch to buy. Personally I think it's stupid to buy a watch from a purse maker. Different makers have different specialties and I think it's best to stick to what someone does best. I'd love to have a closet full of Brioni suits one day, but I'll never own a pair of Brioni jeans. Porsche makes some amazing cars, but if I want a luxurious SUV the Cayenne won't be it.

And unless you are an avid yachter the YMII might as well be a block of gold on your wrist; it's one of the least functional watches out there and way too busy unless you're actually using the functions on it.

The Rolex and Omega you posted are easily the best of the group, though I'll admit I can't stand the orange bezel.

If you like the Explorer but think it's too plain (and like orange) then you should be looking at a Milgauss.
rolex-milgauss.jpg 30k .jpg file
post #69 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle View Post

If you have to ask "what kind of image does it present?" then it's automatically the wrong watch to buy. Personally I think it's stupid to buy a watch from a purse maker. Different makers have different specialties and I think it's best to stick to what someone does best. I'd love to have a closet full of Brioni suits one day, but I'll never own a pair of Brioni jeans. Porsche makes some amazing cars, but if I want a luxurious SUV the Cayenne won't be it.
And unless you are an avid yachter the YMII might as well be a block of gold on your wrist; it's one of the least functional watches out there and way too busy unless you're actually using the functions on it.
The Rolex and Omega you posted are easily the best of the group, though I'll admit I can't stand the orange bezel.
If you like the Explorer but think it's too plain (and like orange) then you should be looking at a Milgauss.
rolex-milgauss.jpg 30k .jpg file

thanks for your suggestion

what about the chopard classic racing?

i know they got movement like ETA and LUC or something

the one i am looking at is using the not so good movement (but i am not concerned about the movement of the watch at all)

i dont really fancy milgauss i prefer explorer to milgauss..
post #70 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermes man View Post

thanks for your suggestion
what about the chopard classic racing?
i know they got movement like ETA and LUC or something
the one i am looking at is using the not so good movement (but i am not concerned about the movement of the watch at all)
i dont really fancy milgauss i prefer explorer to milgauss..

I think of them as glorified fashion watches to be honest; not my taste but better than the LV. And I like the Explorer I a lot too; I was seriously considering it (the old 36mm version) when I bought my Explorer II.

If you're not concerned about the movement of the watch, then I wouldn't be looking at watches that cost more than $1-2k; that's the primary reason (other than precious metals/stones) to spend on a watch. If you're looking for something with a little more "flash" but that's still an outstanding quality watch check out the Jaeger Le Coultre Master Compressor series. They're a bit more expensive; the chrono or GMT on a strap will run you about $8k after discount, but the quality is remarkable and nobody will ever ask you "why the hell did you buy that thing?".
post #71 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by antipaladin View Post

Looking through the 824 pages of the Watch Porn thread as we speak   :)
 

I have just, also, done so. 

post #72 of 163

I concurfing02[1].gif, but I would like someone who has been into watches long enough to see if they can come with an answer to this boggling question! I remember when rolelex's ss where retailing for 3300 and omega cmastr's ss around 1600 to 1800; Now they have almost doubled in price! Inflaton? Are they any better? I know they have gotten chunkier!  Escuse me if I read  ignorant, but I just dont see the jusification on spending 5 to 10 grand for a ss auto- watch!

post #73 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant702 View Post

I concurfing02%5B1%5D.gif, but I would like someone who has been into watches long enough to see if they can come with an answer to this boggling question! I remember when rolelex's ss where retailing for 3300 and omega cmastr's ss around 1600 to 1800; Now they have almost doubled in price! Inflaton? Are they any better? I know they have gotten chunkier!  Escuse me if I read  ignorant, but I just dont see the jusification on spending 5 to 10 grand for a ss auto- watch!

That same question has been around forever.
Just replace the specific prices to fit the time.

Actually though, although I remember when SS Rolexes were going for around $3300, Seamasters were more like $2300.
The quartz Seamasters were cheaper of course.

I've heard the rise in demand from China as the main reason for watch price inflation.
post #74 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post


That same question has been around forever.
Just replace the specific prices to fit the time.
Actually though, although I remember when SS Rolexes were going for around $3300, Seamasters were more like $2300.
The quartz Seamasters were cheaper of course.
I've heard the rise in demand from China as the main reason for watch price inflation.

Thanx fo informing me ! I joined a little late! Its a shame some of the wathces I bought back then are way outa my reach now! I would have to save fr months!

post #75 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post

That same question has been around forever.
Just replace the specific prices to fit the time.
Actually though, although I remember when SS Rolexes were going for around $3300, Seamasters were more like $2300.
The quartz Seamasters were cheaper of course.
I've heard the rise in demand from China as the main reason for watch price inflation.

Around 04/05 a Seamaster automatic was $1,750. Omega has also upgraded all of the movements to coaxials in the past few years and Rolex has probably spent a good deal on R&D developing new design updates (virtually all have updated cases/bracelets/bezels in the last 5-8 years).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Men's watch at the $5K mark?