Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...) Last post on Today at 3:59 pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- Classic Menswear Lounge Last post on 2/5/16 at 10:32am in Classic Menswear
What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
Last edited: Yesterday
- How do I polish my shoes but preserve the color of the contrast...Last edited: Yesterday
- The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden FootwearLast edited: 2/1/16
- Primer: Things you should have known about shoes and shoe care but...Last edited: 2/1/16
- A primer on shoe creams conditioners, and waxesLast edited: 2/1/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc. - Page 30post #436 of 16676/28/13 at 2:37am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #437 of 16676/28/13 at 5:01ampost #438 of 16676/28/13 at 5:21ampost #439 of 16676/28/13 at 5:56ampost #440 of 16676/28/13 at 6:17ampost #441 of 16676/28/13 at 6:19amQuote:
From Pediwear, "Alfred Sargent recommend the Saphire Dark Brown Pate de Lux for use with this colour of the Moore."post #442 of 16676/28/13 at 6:29amQuote:
Thanks wurger. I saw that on pediwear which refers to the dark brown wax and took a look at it. Since I ordered the cream, I asked AFPOS and they suggested mahogany... which appears to have more of a tinge of red. Hopefully it turns out OK. Also really hoping this pair will turn up fitting my feet well.post #443 of 16676/28/13 at 6:38ampost #444 of 16676/28/13 at 7:41amThread StarterQuote:Quote:Originally Posted by Yowzer
Thanks wurger. I saw that on pediwear which refers to the dark brown wax and took a look at it. Since I ordered the cream, I asked AFPOS and they suggested mahogany... which appears to have more of a tinge of red. Hopefully it turns out OK. Also really hoping this pair will turn up fitting my feet well.Quote:
I have the bordeaux (recommeded by AFPoS) and it matches quite well. Wurger is correct though about using something that's lighter. I go the same route typically using conditioners more often and polish once in a while just to add color again.post #445 of 16676/28/13 at 7:44ampost #446 of 16676/28/13 at 7:57amI think I said this in AFPOS thread I will use just Saphire Dark Brown Pate de Lux as recommended by AS. I am curious to see what happens. For some reason AS felt obliged to recommend this particular polish with this particular color. I do not see AS making recommendations for their other colors. AS must have reason to for this. So I will give it a go and see what happens I suppose I will post the results over time. It would be nice if other who use different polish post their results too so we can compare results.post #447 of 16676/28/13 at 8:38amThread StarterSoundsQuote:sounds like a plan. I'm using Bordeaux.Originally Posted by laufer
I think I said this in AFPOS thread I will use just Saphire Dark Brown Pate de Lux as recommended by AS. I am curious to see what happens. For some reason AS felt obliged to recommend this particular polish with this particular color. I do not see AS making recommendations for their other colors. AS must have reason to for this. So I will give it a go and see what happens I suppose I will post the results over time. It would be nice if other who use different polish post their results too so we can compare results.post #448 of 16676/28/13 at 9:15amQuote:It looked to me like it might just be the finishing too. Caked on cream and polish can be fairly thick. But I haven't felt them, as you have. I wonder if they'd let you experiment with them with some cream to see if it is just the finish before you send them back. If it is just the finish, you save the trouble of the return. If it isn't, you both have more peace of mind and the shoes shouldn't be damaged from some cream and elbow grease. If they were mine, I'd try alcohol as a second step, but that'd be more risky.Originally Posted by j ingevaldsson
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)I've (like everybody else it seems..) ordered a pair of AS Moore Cherry from the AFPOS sale, which I received yesterday. Lovely shoes, though I'm a bit concerned with some small cracks on the right toe cap, as well as on some minor ones on the left. See pictures:
I asked AFPOS about it and Sarah replied that I shouldn't worry, the leather is just dry and with some renovateur and some cream the leather will heal and it won't show or get worse. As much as I want to trust AFPOS, since they are always offering great service, I have to say that my experience of similar cracks on shoes before isn't the same. I've tried to get rid of similar cracks with both dubbin graisse, renovateur and cream, and sure you can cover them up, but for me they have always returned almost immediately and I have had the experience that the cracks have been permanent. So to me it is a bit worrying that there are these cracks on a brand new pair of shoes.
What's Styleforums take on this? Is it just normal, or should I be concerned?Quote:Bengalstripe posted something similar, and perhaps more informative a couple years ago. Can't seem to find it now though.Originally Posted by wurger
As expected, The Shoe Snob did an excellent article on the how quality of leather differs in different brands, and even in different parts of the shoe. http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2013/06/leather-quality-how-it-varies.html...
I once asked Chay what the differences were between handgrade and exclusives. One difference was that only one pair of handgrades is made from a skin, whereas two (or three?) exclusives are made from one skin. I listed some other differences here in a discussion w/ DW.post #449 of 16676/30/13 at 1:41pmQuote:Originally Posted by ElementHU
Richard is great to deal with and good prices.
I've listed my Hannover's FS. Now the 2nd-pair of AS's I've owned and then later sold, which is a bit sad to me as they are great shoes. I'm certain a 3rd pair will be purchased at some point.
- ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc.
- How do I polish my shoes but preserve the color of the contrast...
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 8 seconds ago
- › Australian Members 1 minute ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 1 minute ago
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 3 minutes ago
- › does everyone here have a full head of hair? any bald people? 3 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 3 minutes ago
- › New in Box - TCG / Thorocraft Stanton Leather High Top - Size 11 -... 5 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 6 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...
- › What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want...
- › How do I polish my shoes but preserve the...