or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc. - Page 16

post #226 of 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by calidist View Post

What size are you?

UK9 in AS. I was tempted by the black Lombards, but I already have some C&J Conistons in black (the BBBF version) and I honestly don't wear them a lot, so it's not like I "need" another black boot ...
post #227 of 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede66 View Post

I have four pairs, all about one year old. All look great.

What's your verdict on the quality of these in comparison to C&J (if you have any)?
I want the Ramsey DM but also have my eye on either the C&J Lowndes or the HG Seymour - just looking for opinions as I don't yet own any AS but do have C&J
post #228 of 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred G. Unn View Post


UK9 in AS. I was tempted by the black Lombards, but I already have some C&J Conistons in black (the BBBF version) and I honestly don't wear them a lot, so it's not like I "need" another black boot ...

 

Yeah, I had those same boots in brown.  The 325 last, or whatever C&J last they're on, didn't fit me well.  The Lombard is a nice boot, but I don't think it is an versatile and attractive as the Hannover.  Add the 9UK to your Gilt account wish list if you haven't already done so--wish list items often pop up.

post #229 of 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torsion View Post
What's your verdict on the quality of these in comparison to C&J (if you have any)?
I want the Ramsey DM but also have my eye on either the C&J Lowndes or the HG Seymour - just looking for opinions as I don't yet own any AS but do have C&J

 

I have the ramseys and would recommend them to anyone. I recently visited the C&J store, and to my eyes they beat the benchgrades with more attractive lasts and designs. I've never owned a pair though, so take that fwiw. I never handled the handgrades either, so I have no basis for comparison there.

post #230 of 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torsion View Post

What's your verdict on the quality of these in comparison to C&J (if you have any)?
I want the Ramsey DM but also have my eye on either the C&J Lowndes or the HG Seymour - just looking for opinions as I don't yet own any AS but do have C&J
I have C&J's. AS Exclusives are clearly above C&J Benchgrade. Roughly on par with C&J Handgrade IMO.
Better in sole/waist treatment, on par on lasts (yeah, very subjective) and attention to details, maybe sligthly behind on quality of upper leather. C&J Handgrade has a certain "lustre" that I rarely see in other shoes. At the same price point I would probably slightly favour C&J Handgrades. Considering the actual prices I am certainly in favour of AS E.
post #231 of 1099
Looks like a pair of Ramseys in Brown oak are coming my way smile.gif

Thanks for the opinions, very helpful.
post #232 of 1099
Thread Starter 
You'll really like them. Definitely much better than the Lowndes and a split between the Seymours with for me, the decision would just be wether I would like a cap or not.
post #233 of 1099
Anyone had experience with this shoe? The AS Stepney in rustic grain with rubber Dianite soles. It seems like an ideal shoe for fall/winter to wear with cords, denim, etc.
http://khakisofcarmel.com/shop/shoes/alfred-sargent-stepney-in-rustic-grain-301.html (This price also includes lasted trees)

C&J makes a similar model called a Pembroke Derby. How would you compare the two as far as fit, feel, quality and the enjoyment of wearing them?
http://www.bensilver.com/The-Pembroke-Derby,23287.html#.UX2sl-B18g8 (Shoe trees are extra)
post #234 of 1099
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy View Post

Anyone had experience with this shoe? The AS Stepney in rustic grain with rubber Dianite soles. It seems like an ideal shoe for fall/winter to wear with cords, denim, etc.
http://khakisofcarmel.com/shop/shoes/alfred-sargent-stepney-in-rustic-grain-301.html (This price also includes lasted trees)

C&J makes a similar model called a Pembroke Derby. How would you compare the two as far as fit, feel, quality and the enjoyment of wearing them?
http://www.bensilver.com/The-Pembroke-Derby,23287.html#.UX2sl-B18g8 (Shoe trees are extra)

In general I find AS' line to be pretty good; typically closer to C&J HG than BG. I don't have the Stepney but have other shoes/boots. I also have the Pembroke and I would say it depends if you want a short wing or LWB. The color of the Pembroke is also a lighter tan. I wear generally the same size on both brands.

I think you can't go wrong with either shoe.
post #235 of 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy View Post

Anyone had experience with this shoe? The AS Stepney in rustic grain with rubber Dianite soles. It seems like an ideal shoe for fall/winter to wear with cords, denim, etc.
http://khakisofcarmel.com/shop/shoes/alfred-sargent-stepney-in-rustic-grain-301.html (This price also includes lasted trees)

C&J makes a similar model called a Pembroke Derby. How would you compare the two as far as fit, feel, quality and the enjoyment of wearing them?
http://www.bensilver.com/The-Pembroke-Derby,23287.html#.UX2sl-B18g8 (Shoe trees are extra)
I have this shoe. Very nice country brogue. Last 87 is fairly roomy, I sized down 0.5 vs other AS i have on 109 and 99 lasts.
post #236 of 1099

Has anyone seen both the AS cherry color and the GG Cherry color?  How do they compare?  

post #237 of 1099
Swede66,

I'm in the opposite boat when it comes to sizing. I had ordered a pair of Hannover boots on the 87 last in a 9.5UK and found it to be quite tight in the toe area for a boot. I had to size up to a 10UK.

Also, I have just exchanged a pair of Ramsey size 10 for a 9.5, because I found the 10 ridiculously big on me.

Anybody else had this experience? I have a pair of Alex boots on the way in the 104 last in a 9.5 so I'm hoping they fit bang on.
post #238 of 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGD83 View Post

Swede66,

I'm in the opposite boat when it comes to sizing. I had ordered a pair of Hannover boots on the 87 last in a 9.5UK and found it to be quite tight in the toe area for a boot. I had to size up to a 10UK.

Also, I have just exchanged a pair of Ramsey size 10 for a 9.5, because I found the 10 ridiculously big on me.

Anybody else had this experience? I have a pair of Alex boots on the way in the 104 last in a 9.5 so I'm hoping they fit bang on.
Feet are different :-). It is clear that it is difficult to use other peoples sizing advice.
For me, 99 is the most narrow, followed by 109 and with 87 as the roomiest one.
post #239 of 1099
What is your US size? I'm usually a very comfortable 10.5D.
post #240 of 1099
8.5D in Alden Barrie and Plaza if you asked me :-)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc.