or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc. - Page 116

post #1726 of 1932

If it's under $800, nothing. (provided you're in the US)

post #1727 of 1932
Anyone know the last on the AS JCrew carry ?
post #1728 of 1932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfargo View Post

Anyone know the last on the AS JCrew carry ?

87 last

post #1729 of 1932
AS Alex, had these for a few years, just polished up for a night out!


post #1730 of 1932

Selling a special one. Check out my signature :)

post #1731 of 1932

AS Radwell and C&J Northcote

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #1732 of 1932
Interesting to see a side by side comparison Dembowski. Both look great but the Radwell is so sleek.
post #1733 of 1932



Handgrade Alfred Sargent double monks named 'Forde' on the 19 last with fiddle back waist. Quality is stunning!
post #1734 of 1932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northampton21 View Post




Handgrade Alfred Sargent double monks named 'Forde' on the 19 last with fiddle back waist. Quality is stunning!
Amazing were can you buy them & how to size still go I full size down from US?
post #1735 of 1932
Quote:
Originally Posted by TtownMD View Post

Amazing were can you buy them & how to size still go I full size down from US?

Hi TtownMD,
These were just a very lucky find and barely worn a few times. Alfred Sargent used to produce Handgrades a few years ago but seem to have ceased. Maybe they will produce them in the future hopefully? Beautiful quality though.😉
post #1736 of 1932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northampton21 View Post




Handgrade Alfred Sargent double monks named 'Forde' on the 19 last with fiddle back waist. Quality is stunning!

Good to see you got them, they were indeed a steal. I was eyeballing them too but you pulled the trigger before me smile.gif

Here is some more info on them http://www.stitchedandstitched.com/?p=753
post #1737 of 1932
Thread Starter 
Yeah, it's definitely sad that AS has changed much of their business model. Before they were very big on MTO and hand grade production. Now, they sell their stuff to J. Crew and Bloomingdale's, which both, from what I've seen haven't been very successful.

I assume their collaboration has been profitable as this is the direction they want to go. AS still makes stuff for Herring but even then, their models seem to move towards a lower quality (uppers aren't as good, sole stitches are aloft) instead of staying at the mark of their Exclusive range. I thought they were really slowly making a mark being a price-friendly option vs. EG and G&&G. Now they compete with Church's, Cheaney, and C&J, and AS easily looses to them by branding alone.
post #1738 of 1932
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitedDx View Post

Yeah, it's definitely sad that AS has changed much of their business model. Before they were very big on MTO and hand grade production. Now, they sell their stuff to J. Crew and Bloomingdale's, which both, from what I've seen haven't been very successful.

I assume their collaboration has been profitable as this is the direction they want to go. AS still makes stuff for Herring but even then, their models seem to move towards a lower quality (uppers aren't as good, sole stitches are aloft) instead of staying at the mark of their Exclusive range. I thought they were really slowly making a mark being a price-friendly option vs. EG and G&&G. Now they compete with Church's, Cheaney, and C&J, and AS easily looses to them by branding alone.

You're not completely correct here. AS makes to the standard requested. I'm sure Herring and the others chose the options they do in order to keep cost, and hence the price, down. They still make shoes to Exclusive standard, and quite frankly, from what I have seen, they are far above the others you mentioned (not counting C&J handgrade). I agree though, that Church and C&J have very strong brand names. 

I'm sure hand grade can still be ordered, but for special makeups they require 10 pairs per model. Not sure if that's also for the hand grade.

post #1739 of 1932
Almost all makers produce "re-badged" shoes, often to a different standard from their main lines. Even Edward Green used to this, e.g. for Foster and New & Lingwood. However, except among the cognoscenti here, their reputations will be based on their own lines. Sargent are clearly capable of producing high quality shoes, I would say on a par with C&J's top offerings. The question is can they market them successfully themselves, or will they rely on resellers?
post #1740 of 1932
Quote:
Originally Posted by atia2 View Post

Almost all makers produce "re-badged" shoes, often to a different standard from their main lines. Even Edward Green used to this, e.g. for Foster and New & Lingwood. However, except among the cognoscenti here, their reputations will be based on their own lines. Sargent are clearly capable of producing high quality shoes, I would say on a par with C&J's top offerings. The question is can they market them successfully themselves, or will they rely on resellers?


Alfred Sargent does, to my knowledge, not have an own place of retail. Bowen (same owners as AS) do though, and sell Alfred Sargent.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc.