or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › James Bond Trailer SKYFALL- Tom Ford wardrobe
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

James Bond Trailer SKYFALL- Tom Ford wardrobe - Page 14

post #196 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie22 View Post

It is highly unlikely that Craig put on 10lb of lean mass between fittings. I also highly doubt he lets himself fluctuate to that degree considering he is an avid weight lifter.  Even a limited maintenance routine would spare that kind of loss. Do you realize how much mass 10lbs of muscle is?  Go stack 10 lbs of lean chicken breast to get an idea. Craig would have to totally stop weight training for a long time to lose 10 lbs of muscle.

It's a pretty simple equation, I think. Ford made a rare mistake and didn't totally control the QC and design of these suits. The O'Connor was built for Craig. It fits like crap. A Collar gap on a 5k bespoke suite within a film noted for the clothing? Yikes.

Actually thats completely possible especially since he is a weight lifter. Look at his size in Casino Royale as compared to quantum of Solace, in the latter he is still muscular but you can see that he has lost weight. Plus as anyone who works out regularly knows if you stop lifting for a while or go on a cutting phase you can lose 10lbs of muscle. I myself have gotten measured up for a shirt then gone to the first fitting with10-15 additional pounds (lucky Mina at NSM didn't attach the sleeves of my shirt yet or there would have been an issue lol). It wasn't that i stopped working out it was just that it was the time of year when i switch from high repetition cutting exercises to heavy weight bulking ones. Even when i enlisted for National Service in Singapore i managed to lose muscle mass just purely because of the type of activities we were doing i.e we didn't need to bench press 270 pounds but being able to do 100 push ups helps, but it came back very fast when i started lifting weights again. I do agree though that for bond the clothing is crap but i just saw the movie and besides the collar gap in SOME scenes the fit is not that terrible (short pants/short jacket put aside).
post #197 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff13007 View Post


Actually thats completely possible especially since he is a weight lifter. Look at his size in Casino Royale as compared to quantum of Solace, in the latter he is still muscular but you can see that he has lost weight. Plus as anyone who works out regularly knows if you stop lifting for a while or go on a cutting phase you can lose 10lbs of muscle. I myself have gotten measured up for a shirt then gone to the first fitting with10-15 additional pounds (lucky Mina at NSM didn't attach the sleeves of my shirt yet or there would have been an issue lol). It wasn't that i stopped working out it was just that it was the time of year when i switch from high repetition cutting exercises to heavy weight bulking ones. Even when i enlisted for National Service in Singapore i managed to lose muscle mass just purely because of the type of activities we were doing i.e we didn't need to bench press 270 pounds but being able to do 100 push ups helps, but it came back very fast when i started lifting weights again. I do agree though that for bond the clothing is crap but i just saw the movie and besides the collar gap in SOME scenes the fit is not that terrible (short pants/short jacket put aside).

If you reread my post you will see I concede gaining 10lbs of mass over a short time is possible. We're talking 90 days, as mentioned previously in a post above. I don't see any radical changes in Bond's physique over the last year to the tune of 10lbs lean mass. That's a large amount of muscle. I also agree with your point in regard to muscle memory. 

 

My point is that I don't believe any of the things mentioned above and within this thread with regard to muscle mass gain and loss are to blame, I think Ford, simply, created some bad ill fitting suits this time out.  Most likely he was not as hands on this time and the outcome is what you see on screen.


Edited by Frankie22 - 11/12/12 at 2:57pm
post #198 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie22 View Post

If you reread my post you will see I concede gaining 10lbs of mass over a short time is very possible. We're talking 90 days, as mentioned previously in a post above. I also agree with your point with regard to muscle memory. My point is that I don't believe any of the things mentioned above and within this thread with regard to muscle mass gain and loss is the culprit, I think Ford, simply, created some bad ill fitting suits this time out.  Most likely he was not as hands on this time and the outcome is what you see on screen.

Don't get me wrong as I'm a huge Tom Ford fan and lately have been purchasing almost exclusively (suits, sport coats, shirts, ties, polos, sweaters, jeans, shoes, wallets, ties, belts etc) from his brand but i never thought he was right to dress bond. Even in QoS the suits looked very "hard" for the lack of a better word compared to the flowing smoothness again for the lack of a better word of Brioni from CR. I just seems like the Brioni suits moved better.

Edit: you do have a point though as I'm sure the costume designer had a lot of input into this besides the input from Tom Ford
post #199 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff13007 View Post


Don't get me wrong as I'm a huge Tom Ford fan and lately have been purchasing almost exclusively (suits, sport coats, shirts, ties, polos, sweaters, jeans, shoes, wallets, ties, belts etc) from his brand but i never thought he was right to dress bond. Even in QoS the suits looked very "hard" for the lack of a better word compared to the flowing smoothness again for the lack of a better word of Brioni from CR. I just seems like the Brioni suits moved better.
Edit: you do have a point though as I'm sure the costume designer had a lot of input into this besides the input from Tom Ford

Really? I loved the stuff in QoS, I thought the "hard look" you mentioned reflected the updated personality of a more tortured soul. To each there own of course.

 

I just can't fathom Tom Ford (a Saville row alumni) and top notch menswear designer allowing for collar gaps and ill fitting suits. I can recall his disdain for AS when they refused to create lapels to his specifications, which I believe was a catalyst for the launch of his base line... Ford was sick and tired of not being able to get anyone to make what he was looking for.

post #200 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie22 View Post

Really? I loved the stuff in QoS, I thought the "hard look" you mentioned reflected the updated personality of a more tortured soul. To each there own of course.

I just can't fathom Tom Ford (a Saville row alumni) and top notch menswear designer allowing for collar gaps and ill fitting suits. I can recall his disdain for AS when they refused to create lapels to his specifications, which I believe was a catalyst for the launch of his base line... Ford was sick and tired of not being able to get anyone to make what he was looking for.

I don't think he would qualify as a "Saville row alumni" as he never worked there he just had suits made at the different houses there. Yes i do agree that the collar gap is unacceptable especially for Bond, add on top of that the fact that when you buy from their madison ave store they usually without promoting from you point out things like a collar gap or a roll, and then attempt to rectify it. But yeah i wasn't too impressed with the QoS stuff but thats possibly because i was stacking it against what Brioni did in CR which i thought was great. I mean tell me that scene when he looks at himself in the mirror wearing the tux vesper gave him wasn't awesome?
post #201 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff13007 View Post


I don't think he would qualify as a "Saville row alumni" as he never worked there he just had suits made at the different houses there. Yes i do agree that the collar gap is unacceptable especially for Bond, add on top of that the fact that when you buy from their madison ave store they usually without promoting from you point out things like a collar gap or a roll, and then attempt to rectify it. But yeah i wasn't too impressed with the QoS stuff but thats possibly because i was stacking it against what Brioni did in CR which i thought was great. I mean tell me that scene when he looks at himself in the mirror wearing the tux vesper gave him wasn't awesome?

I could have worded it better. "As a Saville row customer" would have been the better choice of words.

 

Oh it was awesome no doubt. I think this was Fords chance to surpass the bar Brioni set, to bad he squandered it.

 

Think about it. Badass menswer brand - check.  Great quality - check. Took it to a whole new level with Bond - Fail.

 

What could have been musicboohoo[1].gif

post #202 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie22 View Post

I could have worded it better. "As a Saville row customer" would have been the better choice of words.

Oh it was awesome no doubt. I think this was Fords chance to overcome the bar Brioni set, to bad he squandered it.

Think about it. Badass menswer brand - check.  Great quality - check. Took it to a whole new level with Bond - Fail.

What could have been musicboohoo%5B1%5D.gif

I mean i can sort of see him having problems because Goldeneye-Casino Royale, Brioni only had to work with one costume designer Lindy Hemming, but Ford has had to work with 2 who probably had very different ideas on how he should look. And also from the other point of view Lindy Hemming was working with a "suit maker" so she could design and Brioni would make, while the other two had to work with a Fashion Designer who probably also had alot to say about how james bond should look.
post #203 of 300
I remember seeing Tom Ford's film "A single man" in 2009. He used the same collars. That was a period piece set in the 60s. I actually remember asking a tailor at the time if they could do it, and they said they had never done it. Maybe there will be more call for it now. But 310 pounds for a non tailored shirt is madness to me.

This is from GQ:

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/style/articles/2012-10/26/james-bond-tom-ford-tab-collar-shirt-selfridges-daniel-craig




post #204 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh51271 View Post

But 310 pounds for a non tailored shirt is madness to me.

Yeah, well, $5000 for a suit that fits that poorly is madness too smile.gif And like I sad, at least that shirt doesn't have some awful self-stripes or something on it like so many of the shirts in Casino Royale.

I do have to say--many of the combinations were very nice. Horrible fits excepted, many of them would have been fodder for whnay's good taste thread--take the mid-grey suit with light blue shirt and navy close-to-solid tie in the images above. Very nice combination, if only it fit...

I did quite like the country outfit he wore in Scotland though.
post #205 of 300

Just saw the Bond Heineken ad. Noticeable collar gap. The wouyst.

post #206 of 300
Quote:
First popular in the Twenties and favoured by the Duke of Windsor, the tab enjoyed its last revival in the Sixties before collar stiffeners became the norm for formal shirts.

Last known person to wear a tab collar before Bond...

Hipster Rumsfeld

Throwsuphands.jpgB23_00742_CROP_r_GQ_26Oct12_pr_1920_646x646.jpg
Edited by jrd617 - 11/12/12 at 9:23pm
post #207 of 300

So just saw Skyfall last night, as I wanted to reserve judgement until that time, and despite it being the best Bond I have seen, the suiting truly was awful.

 

I happen to believe the Tom Ford Suits in Q of S were perfect- impeccable fit, no pulling but very trim, and not overly done up TF stuff (lapels and tie blades just < 4") they were, however, excellent for the brand, and showed a classic look with a modern tailoring. To make a comparison, tux to tux, I must say that in Q of S when he surveys the crowd just before and during the opera scene, trumps the Brioni mirror scene. Not by much, and it should also be kept in mind that there was a few years in between, and styles had changed.

 

Skyfall's suits, however, looked like shit the moment he started to move. if he was just standing there, it was OK, but literally upon raising his arm it went to hell.  The single vent was not helping... the dual vent is really what you need for an athletic individual and therefore fit. The single vent dinner jacket made me gag.

 

Now, if creative license--as well as character development--is brought to the table, it occurs to me that the smaller lapels/tie width, coupled with the poorer fit, may have something to do with the fact that Bond is older, and his body failing him, which was a theme throughout. I spoke with a friend of mine from  who studied Television & Film at Syracuse's Newhouse school, and they agreed with that as sound logic.

 

Now, does that mean the suits didn't suck in comparison to the last 2 Bond wardrobes? Absolutely not, as they clearly did. BUT, this is a movie after all, and these things are obviously important. (look at Bardem's over-patterned Prada shirt  and ivory jacket when he gets all touchy with Craig in his introductory scene, obviously helps the character). So, point being, while the suits clearly falter in comparison, they did serve a purpose.

 

Btw, Bardem's black leather shearling trench in the ending scenes? Bad motherfucker outerwear. 

post #208 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMarce21 View Post

Now, if creative license--as well as character development--is brought to the table, it occurs to me that the smaller lapels/tie width, coupled with the poorer fit, may have something to do with the fact that Bond is older, and his body failing him, which was a theme throughout. I spoke with a friend of mine from  who studied Television & Film at Syracuse's Newhouse school, and they agreed with that as sound logic.

LOL,Syracuse film student friend.

There is no symbolism behind these ill fitting suits.

The simplest answer is just the wardrobe bitch trying to make Bond's suits "trendy and slim" by fitting him into the Tom Ford Falconer cut.
post #209 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh51271 View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I remember seeing Tom Ford's film "A single man" in 2009. He used the same collars. That was a period piece set in the 60s. I actually remember asking a tailor at the time if they could do it, and they said they had never done it. Maybe there will be more call for it now. But 310 pounds for a non tailored shirt is madness to me.
This is from GQ:
http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/style/articles/2012-10/26/james-bond-tom-ford-tab-collar-shirt-selfridges-daniel-craig




I've been seeing a small portion of the Internets make a small fuss about the tab collars. I don't see the fuss at all, Ralph Lauren makes tab collared shirts. I own a few - they are great, look pretty nice. neat, and tidy. The shirt only costed around $55-60...
post #210 of 300
My pitch to Tom Ford for the sequel



James Bond Will Return...




in a Nehru collar


Nehru%20collar%20men.jpg
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › James Bond Trailer SKYFALL- Tom Ford wardrobe