or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shirt + Blazer Fit Right?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shirt + Blazer Fit Right?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

So basically I need help to decide if my shirt and blazer fit right.

 

Nothing has been tailored yet (both items will be), so just tell me what you think needs to be corrected. To start it off, I would like to say that I am keeping the shirt because it's the only thing that remotely fits me. The blazers, I'm willing to wait for the best fitting one out of the options I have.

 

I am short and hard to fit so these OTR things might not be the best but are the most feasible options for me as I am only a high school student. I'm still going to be growing and I don't want to waste my parent's money as I don't want to leech off of them.

 

Last note: My pants and shirt tuck look super sloppy and my sister took some not so good pictures in her room so please bear with them. Thanks in advance for helping me.

 

First off, 14 1/2" / 32" BB ESF: (2 other shirts in different colors though not posted)

IMG_5387.JPG

 

 

IMG_5388.JPG

 

IMG_5389.JPG

 

 

Next off is a battle between a 35S JAB Blazer (regular buttons below) and a 36S Ralph Lauren Green Label (gold buttons below) I can see the flaming coming from the RLGL but fit is more important than fabric at this point and the affordable option. As you can soon probably tell, I'm favoring the RLGL a lot more because of the shoulders. Shoulders are the main point I'm hoping you'll all address. Another option I have is: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=356&Product_Id=1455651&Parent_Id=1036&default_color=NAVY&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize= but I didn't buy it yet. I'll need to go to the store and try and get fitted for kids size.

 

My shoulders measure a teeny bit more than 16.5" while both the jackets are near 18.5." I think the shoulder looks bigger on the JAB one because it's more padded. *measurements may not be too accurate as it was hard measuring shoulder to shoulder on the blazers.

 

IMG_5385.JPG

 

IMG_5399.JPG

 

IMG_5400.JPG

 

---------------- BELOW IS RLGL

 

IMG_5386.JPG

 

IMG_5392.JPG

 

IMG_5393.JPG

 

IMG_5394.JPG

 

 

IMG_5397.JPG

 

Thanks in advance. Please try to stick on topic with the "questions" I have above. I know this thread might digress and turn inappropriate fast.


Edited by Essential - 6/8/12 at 6:21pm

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #2 of 13
Of the two considered, I like the jos a bank better. The shoulders on both seem a little...funky but the sleeves/body of the JaB seem to fit you better. Also the collar on the RLGL sits very high on the back of your neck.

Good job keeping it classy, they might be lesser quality brands but you'll still be better dressed than most "men" 2-3x your age. Every purase is a learning experience.
post #3 of 13
For someone that knows, what is the cause of those ripples near the biceps? I see those commonly.
post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 
I'm still planning a visit to BB since it seems most likely to have the best fit. I'm trying to narrow the choices between JAB and RLGL before I go out. So far JAB had one vote.
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidus View Post

For someone that knows, what is the cause of those ripples near the biceps? I see those commonly.

I think most of the time its how your arms hang vs how the arms hang on the jacket (pitch)
post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 

Would appreciate some more opinions.

post #7 of 13

I concur that the JAB looks better.  Keough1206's assessment of the fit seems spot-on to me.

post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 

Tomorrow I'm gonna call BB at the Madison store to see if they have the blazer I want in stock. It seems that 18H will fit me but I'm not sure about the shoulders yet.

 

What do people think of my shirt?

post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essential View Post

Tomorrow I'm gonna call BB at the Madison store to see if they have the blazer I want in stock. It seems that 18H will fit me but I'm not sure about the shoulders yet.

 

What do people think of my shirt?

length is too long sleeve wise and you need to dart it back man you have a blouse on. In front you dont see it since you pulled all the material to the back. When you did the spread on the wings the shirts cuff didnt even move they should move half an inch or so max 1 inch from original. Unbotton them cuff and how much do they hang? Should hang roughly an inch and half down wrists or so it seems your might hang even further than that maybe the whole hand?

 

then again it could be how its worn......that makes it look baggy cant tell.

post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essential View Post

My shoulders measure a teeny bit more than 16.5" while both the jackets are near 18.5."

It looks like it. They are both way to wide. Find some blazers with narrower shoulders because neither of these are working for you.
post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by imanewbie View Post

length is too long sleeve wise and you need to dart it back man you have a blouse on. In front you dont see it since you pulled all the material to the back. When you did the spread on the wings the shirts cuff didnt even move they should move half an inch or so max 1 inch from original. Unbotton them cuff and how much do they hang? Should hang roughly an inch and half down wrists or so it seems your might hang even further than that maybe the whole hand?

 

then again it could be how its worn......that makes it look baggy cant tell.

 

Okay thanks. Later on tonight, I'll put the picture in the Tailor's thread and see how many inches I should shorten the sleeve. I'll get it darted as well. Are the shoulders right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum View Post


It looks like it. They are both way to wide. Find some blazers with narrower shoulders because neither of these are working for you.

Okay thanks. I'm putting a lot of hope in the BB blazer and if it doesn't work out, I might have to settle between one of these two unfortunately unless someone can give some good suggestions. Hickey Freeman's whole boys sportscoat section is gone for some reason.

post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essential View Post

Okay thanks. I'm putting a lot of hope in the BB blazer and if it doesn't work out, I might have to settle between one of these two unfortunately unless someone can give some good suggestions. Hickey Freeman's whole boys sportscoat section is gone for some reason.

It should be possible to find men's size 35/36 with 16.5" shoulders; try looking at brands/lines with more modern/slim styling, maybe Black Fleece or something. Not sure what other brands to recommend as I get most of my stuff MTM, I know some Dior stuff will certainly have narrow enough shoulders but that tends to also be very expensive.
post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum View Post


It should be possible to find men's size 35/36 with 16.5" shoulders; try looking at brands/lines with more modern/slim styling, maybe Black Fleece or something. Not sure what other brands to recommend as I get most of my stuff MTM, I know some Dior stuff will certainly have narrow enough shoulders but that tends to also be very expensive.


My budget's only around ~200 right and it just to happens that most slim brands are more expensive. Thanks for the advice though.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shirt + Blazer Fit Right?