Related Forum Threads
- Price Drop-BNIB Eward Green Malvern Mole Suede 8/8.5e 202 Last post on 1/1/13 at 9:41am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- What to wear with these brown dress shoes to the club? Last post on 9/22/12 at 5:58am in Classic Menswear
- Fitting advice for my first pair of prestige John Lobb RTW Last post on 9/11/12 at 8:26pm in Classic Menswear
- Which pair of brown shoes -- double monks or derbies? Last post on 9/25/12 at 3:15pm in Classic Menswear
- Church's Consul - shape of toe box vs American makes of cap toe balmorals Last post on 8/11/12 at 12:17pm in Classic Menswear
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Painted/Patina leather shoes — How do they age?
The longevity is determined by the quality of construction.
'Real' patina will be the result of wear, care, environment and time. No matter how they start out they will change and continue changing. My vote is for an untampered-with surface that you can make your own. It will, in the end, look better and you will have the satisfaction of knowing it is a reflection of the life you've lived, not someone's artistry.
Think of it as the difference between a 200-year-old piece of mahogany furniture and a new piece that someone has 'aged' and 'distressed'. Ain't nothin' like the real thing.
BTW, some months ago I fell into conversation with a very nice man who introduced himself as the manager of the Madison Avenue Berluti shop. From time to time he glanced down at my feet, finally asking what i was wearing. "Thirty year old Lobbs" was my answer. His expression said volumes.
I understand that, but these shoes aren't creating an "aged & distressed" look, but rather a look that's unachievable either through tanning/dyeing or through general wear.
To me it's like buying a piece of furniture that's painted bright red. No amount of awesome Mahogany or age is going to turn my furniture bright red. Both have their places, but are very different.
Berluti will strip and refinish your shoes in the shop and there are 'patinators' in France that will do any pair of shoes for about $150 US.
Once dyed the effect will last quite a long while. Depending on how you care for the them the patina can remain fairly constant or additional patina can be created through colored creams and polishes over the years.
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 42 seconds ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Official Common Projects Thread 1 minute ago
- › OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Looking for high quality dress shoes 4 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 4 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 5 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 8 minutes ago
- › dream gladstone bag: which leather? 8 minutes ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 10 minutes ago
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding