Related Forum Threads
- Price Drop-BNIB Eward Green Malvern Mole Suede 8/8.5e 202 Last post on 1/1/13 at 9:41am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- What to wear with these brown dress shoes to the club? Last post on 9/22/12 at 5:58am in Classic Menswear
- Fitting advice for my first pair of prestige John Lobb RTW Last post on 9/11/12 at 8:26pm in Classic Menswear
- Which pair of brown shoes -- double monks or derbies? Last post on 9/25/12 at 3:15pm in Classic Menswear
- Church's Consul - shape of toe box vs American makes of cap toe balmorals Last post on 8/11/12 at 12:17pm in Classic Menswear
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Painted/Patina leather shoes — How do they age?
Styleforum Top Picks
The longevity is determined by the quality of construction.
'Real' patina will be the result of wear, care, environment and time. No matter how they start out they will change and continue changing. My vote is for an untampered-with surface that you can make your own. It will, in the end, look better and you will have the satisfaction of knowing it is a reflection of the life you've lived, not someone's artistry.
Think of it as the difference between a 200-year-old piece of mahogany furniture and a new piece that someone has 'aged' and 'distressed'. Ain't nothin' like the real thing.
BTW, some months ago I fell into conversation with a very nice man who introduced himself as the manager of the Madison Avenue Berluti shop. From time to time he glanced down at my feet, finally asking what i was wearing. "Thirty year old Lobbs" was my answer. His expression said volumes.
I understand that, but these shoes aren't creating an "aged & distressed" look, but rather a look that's unachievable either through tanning/dyeing or through general wear.
To me it's like buying a piece of furniture that's painted bright red. No amount of awesome Mahogany or age is going to turn my furniture bright red. Both have their places, but are very different.
Berluti will strip and refinish your shoes in the shop and there are 'patinators' in France that will do any pair of shoes for about $150 US.
Once dyed the effect will last quite a long while. Depending on how you care for the them the patina can remain fairly constant or additional patina can be created through colored creams and polishes over the years.
- Painted/Patina leather shoes — How do they age?
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 3 minutes ago
- › nonnative 3 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Affiliate Thread 6 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 7 minutes ago
- › The Home Ownership Thread 8 minutes ago
- › THE OFFICIAL "streetwear" BALLER BOOT/SHOE THREAD (Guidi, CCP,... 9 minutes ago
- › ENZO BONAFÉ MTO and GMTO Central 10 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 11 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 13 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 14 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...
- › Three Gin Cocktails for Summertime
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015