Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by LA Guy, 3/1/15
- categoryCoatstagged by LA Guy, 3/1/15
- categoryCoats Jacketstagged by LA Guy, 3/1/15
- brandCommon Projectstagged by LA Guy, 3/1/15
- itemCommon Projects Laced shoestagged by LA Guy, 3/1/15
- itemCommon Projects Sneakerstagged by LA Guy, 3/1/15
- topicShoestagged by LA Guy, 3/1/15
Related Forum Threads
- 6.25 Common Projects - NdG Peacoat Last post on 6/26/11 at 11:07am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Yesterday at 10:14 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Today at 2:24 am in Classic Menswear
- The Official Common Projects F/W '13-'14 Thread Last post on 8/28/15 at 2:16pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Have you ever had an occasion where SF mentality/attitude/uniform etc. been a detriment for you? Last post on 8/27/14 at 4:05am in Classic Menswear
What it Means to be Made in Italy
Last edited: 2/9/15
- The Current State of AmericanaLast edited: 2/10/15
- The Styleforum Brief: February 2015Last edited: 2/9/15
- The Pleasures and Perils of the Long CoatLast edited: 1/12/15
- The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015Last edited: 7/12/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
The Contentedness thread - Page 44post #646 of 6518/29/15 at 1:39pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #647 of 6518/29/15 at 1:40pmpost #648 of 6518/29/15 at 1:42pmTBH sounds like people have a hard time budgeting.
FWIW I haven't picked up anything for 1+ month but that's because I feel more in tandem when a new season comes around. Pre-orders help a lot, and I feel more at ease with my current wardrobe to avoid buying sporadically as if I have to fill some type of gap.
I am actually slowly pairing down the wardrobe but it's not at a rate where if I cannot sell something it's hard for me to pickup something new.
I'll also add that after being more selective i.e. following only one designer it has help tremendously. Some may think it's boring but for my own daily wear it simplifies my life. That is not to say I cannot appreciate other designers and various aesthetics. Instead of reinventing the wheel I see it as trying to polish a look that suits me and that I feel comfortable wearing.
Yoox will forever hold a dear place in my heart (until they ban me).
I agree that a good store return policy nowadays makes or breaks a buying decision.
Like any hobby it takes time to accumulate a certain amount of experience. Some get burned out and move to something else and are rejuvenated when returning after their time away, which can actually be a good thing.
BTW, J.Crew Isn't Cool Anymorepost #649 of 6518/29/15 at 4:17pmThread Starter
Haha, pretty much 60% of it right here.Quote:Originally Posted by DeadBoy
Yoox and the whole sale culture in general is actually a major reason why I've spent more than I should in past on clothing I don't need. I've severely limited my purchases lately, keeping a very short list of things I really want and being OK with not getting them any time soon. Part of that involves almost never checking my Dreambox.
A while ago I interviewed this woman who got so tired of being trapped in online shopping addiction that she stopped buying things for a year and instead drew pictures of the items she coveted (she eventually wrote turned it into a book, http://torontopubliclibrary.typepad.com/teens/2015/08/top-ten-summer-author-sarah-lazarovic.html). A little extreme maybe, but I admire the approach and the dedication.
This is pretty cool.
I might go to knitting class tomorrow.post #650 of 6518/29/15 at 4:50pm
The whole sale idea has made me spend more money by convincing me that I am "saving" and spending less. I wind up buying a bunch of stuff I don't really need because they are cheap, overlooking the fact that I could've just bought one piece I have been loving for the same price as a bunch of shit I don't want.
I'm cleaning out a lot of shit now, making room, and waiting until I see something that I really love.post #651 of 6518/30/15 at 8:16amQuote:Originally Posted by Bam!ChairDance
Ooh yeah I definitely look. But it's not impossible to be responsible with Yoox. I still stick Yoox stuff in kop lists right beside full-retail goods and mull over my options before I pull the trigger. And when I do make a purchase, it's usually to fill some wardrobe gap or meet a specific need. Some of my most frequently worn garments have come from Yoox, actually.
Oh for sure, I love Yoox and it's totally possible to be responsible with your purchases there. But its whole format (adding new items randomly, sending out regular coupons, varying price drops from item to item, telling you when there's only one of your item left etc.) is designed to get you to check back frequently and to buy more than you should.
This is true. Having an addictive personality doesn't help either.
- The Contentedness thread
- The Current State of Americana
- › ***....Falcon Garments - Official Affiliate Thread....*** MTM/MTO... 1 minute ago
- › Manhattan Sales Alert!! 1 minute ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 2 minutes ago
- › How many miles did you run today? 2 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 2 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 3 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Porn Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 3 minutes ago
- › 2015-2016 Official Football / Soccer Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The Official Wine Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...
- › Three Gin Cocktails for Summertime
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015