or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Contentedness thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Contentedness thread - Page 20

post #286 of 532
i start to study from october on too
i think i will have 270€ after rent, then i have to pay for food, books etc. + money from summer jobs, gifts etc
so there won't be much left for clothes
will only buy very little; most of it COS
fortunately i already have enough clothes that haven't got much wear yet
so i won't be dependent on h&m or zara
i probably won't take a student loan either
taking a loan for financing baller clothes seems somehow unreasonable to me
Edited by Zeemon - 9/5/12 at 3:53am
post #287 of 532
had a chance to completely pay off my credit card bill but decided to spend another 1.2k but I dont really regret it
post #288 of 532
i don't know if i can be content
post #289 of 532
Two things I'm extremely content with and one I'm expecting to be content with.

Canada Goose Freestyle Down Vest

Probably the most versatile item Canada Goose makes. Bought it for $150 at a clearance sale, it's good to below freezing depending on layering and weather conditions. Built like a tank as well.

Espadrilles

11 Euros in Barca and the best summer shoe I've ever worn.

Woolrich Arctic Parka

For $220, as long as it keeps me warm in Siberia I will be very content.

I also have a blue Burberry blazer that I have been extremely happy with. Dress up or dress down, that shit worked everywhere.

But as much as I lurk on SF, I don't spend much on clothes. And that's because after graduating I moved to Thailand to teach English instead of seeking a higher paying job. And now I'm moving to Russia to do the same thing. While after Russia I'm going to have to figure out a transition plan back to the more normal work force, I don't regret taking less money and seeing the world for a few years. I couldn't be more content with my decision and I recommend thinking about what experiences one could buy with money, instead of the latest grail item must have whatever bullshit that you're going to hate next season (except for TOJ, would kill for bottle green MDR).
The ridiculous dinner I had at Noisette when my whole family was together for the first time in 2 years, way more memorable than any piece of clothing. Or climbing South Sister Mountain (10,400 ft.), even though it completely sucked (40 mile hour winds at the top blowing dust everywhere). I guess what I'm trying to say is look for contentedness in everything. Or maybe just a little balance...
post #290 of 532

^ Awesome post.  I've been saving >50% of my pay for almost a year now to do something similar.

post #291 of 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike868y View Post

i'm still in the "acquiring student debt" phase of my life...i guess i better enjoy it while it lasts? i would so love to get a job right out of undergrad, but i'll probably put off entering the real world to spend an additional 6 years acquiring another silly piece of paper

I realize you're being sardonic, but I don't understand all the people I know who are doing the same. What are you studying?
post #292 of 532
I will submit my Epaulet flannel. Great fit and material. There's very few plaid patterns I like, and this is one of them. A little bit less ubiquitous color as well. I usually wear tees, and this is nice to throw on as a layer when it's cool. If I had a biz cas job I could easily fill my wardrobe with Epaulet items. (sup SVB)
post #293 of 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Pun View Post

I realize you're being sardonic, but I don't understand all the people I know who are doing the same. What are you studying?

my major is biophysics. probably going to go for a phd in biophysics or something similar.
post #294 of 532
Thread Starter 
biophysics...do you mean structural biology? e.g. proteomics etc?
post #295 of 532

Lol 10,000 feet. Only 14ers and up are valid for bragging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by js0930 View Post

Two things I'm extremely content with and one I'm expecting to be content with.
Canada Goose Freestyle Down Vest

Probably the most versatile item Canada Goose makes. Bought it for $150 at a clearance sale, it's good to below freezing depending on layering and weather conditions. Built like a tank as well.
Espadrilles

11 Euros in Barca and the best summer shoe I've ever worn.
Woolrich Arctic Parka

For $220, as long as it keeps me warm in Siberia I will be very content.
I also have a blue Burberry blazer that I have been extremely happy with. Dress up or dress down, that shit worked everywhere.
But as much as I lurk on SF, I don't spend much on clothes. And that's because after graduating I moved to Thailand to teach English instead of seeking a higher paying job. And now I'm moving to Russia to do the same thing. While after Russia I'm going to have to figure out a transition plan back to the more normal work force, I don't regret taking less money and seeing the world for a few years. I couldn't be more content with my decision and I recommend thinking about what experiences one could buy with money, instead of the latest grail item must have whatever bullshit that you're going to hate next season (except for TOJ, would kill for bottle green MDR).
The ridiculous dinner I had at Noisette when my whole family was together for the first time in 2 years, way more memorable than any piece of clothing. Or climbing South Sister Mountain (10,400 ft.), even though it completely sucked (40 mile hour winds at the top blowing dust everywhere). I guess what I'm trying to say is look for contentedness in everything. Or maybe just a little balance...
post #296 of 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashwindow View Post

Lol 10,000 feet. Only 14ers and up are valid for bragging.
Not everyone lives in Colorado. Hardest climb I've ever done was Mt Washington, a meager 6,300 ft, in winter.
post #297 of 532
Thread Starter 
giving this a bump with a quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by APK View Post

There's some nice stuff in there, but there's something underwhelming about gigantic collections of clothing/shoes that look like they were assembled during a relatively brief period. There's just something impersonal, maybe even hollow, about it. Those Tumbler fashion bloggers have ruined the word, so I won't use "curated" here, but I get more out of seeing wardrobes that contain items that seem more carefully selected. I'm thinking of something such as Fuuma's footwear collection, which isn't enormous for someone who's been into fashion for so long. Yet you see it, and everything seems to have its place. There's nothing excessive about it. These gigantic, box-fresh wardrobes bankrolled by some guy's sweet gig in finance usually lack that quality.
post #298 of 532
Thread Starter 
Also, what are you all putting away for the changing seasons, and what are you looking forward to digging out of your wardrobe?

I will try to snap some pics tonight.
post #299 of 532
There's not a whole lot I'm putting away for the season, as my wardrobe is still very FW-centric, but I'm very excited to dig out my favorite fw pieces. I actually wore the hand dyed red denim jacket from the diy thread a few days this week and I think I'm really going to enjoy it this season, although I actually wish I had an indigo denim jacket as well. Also v much looking forward to digging out my sns herning stark and my eg field parka, along with another eg blazer which I just picked up from scott.m. Maybe i can get some pics, although most of my stuff is not that exciting.
post #300 of 532
can't wait to start wearing knits full-time.

related: the epicurean knit thread is due for a revival
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Contentedness thread