Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by LA Guy, 3/1/15
- categoryCoatstagged by LA Guy, 3/1/15
- categoryCoats Jacketstagged by LA Guy, 3/1/15
- brandCommon Projectstagged by LA Guy, 3/1/15
- itemCommon Projects Laced shoestagged by LA Guy, 3/1/15
- itemCommon Projects Sneakerstagged by LA Guy, 3/1/15
- topicShoestagged by LA Guy, 3/1/15
Related Forum Threads
- 6.25 Common Projects - NdG Peacoat Last post on 6/26/11 at 11:07am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 2:59 am in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Yesterday at 6:00 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Official Common Projects F/W '13-'14 Thread Last post on Yesterday at 11:27 am in Streetwear and Denim
- Have you ever had an occasion where SF mentality/attitude/uniform etc. been a detriment for you? Last post on 8/27/14 at 4:05am in Classic Menswear
What it Means to be Made in Italy
Last edited: 2/9/15
- The Current State of AmericanaLast edited: 2/10/15
- The Styleforum Brief: February 2015Last edited: 2/9/15
- The Pleasures and Perils of the Long CoatLast edited: 1/12/15
- The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015Last edited: 7/12/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
The Contentedness thread - Page 13post #181 of 6057/12/12 at 6:40pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #182 of 6057/12/12 at 7:04pmpost #183 of 6057/12/12 at 7:40pmThread Starterpost #184 of 6057/12/12 at 8:41pmDesigner drive; das bling; creation ex (n)nihilo; anaMMMorphosis; jouissense...
The point isn't to "redeem" yourself by acquiring some totalized—and totalizing—identity through your clothes. Instead of identifying with some symptom—our inability to attain sartorial perfection—we should instead identify with our sinThomBrowne.
I'm done stretching Lacanian psychoanalysis to clothing; fuck this. G'night.post #185 of 6057/12/12 at 8:58pmThread StarterQuote:
Cool, could you forget about the ones you don't have and take a few minutes to tell us about what you love about the one you have? Pictures would be a bonus!post #186 of 6057/12/12 at 11:01pmpost #187 of 6057/13/12 at 4:07amQuote:Originally Posted by Synthese
Sigh. I have 3 pairs of petit standards and another 3 pairs of 511s.
3 marc by marc jacobs button-downs that I just buy in my size whenever i see them, and 3 j crew flannels. Oh my god, I also have 3 RO tees and 3 silent tees and 3 geller seconds tees.
OH GOD AND 3 PAIRS OF RICK SHORTS AND 3 MARGIELA BLAZERSoh wait I only have two of those, whew.
That was like looking into the abyss, for a second.Quote:Quote:
"Women Shop, Men Stockpile":
For Guys, a Great Find Is Often Multiplied by The New York Times.post #188 of 6057/13/12 at 5:49ampost #189 of 6057/13/12 at 6:09ampost #190 of 6057/13/12 at 10:13amQuote:Originally Posted by momentoftruthQuote:
with an Epaulet shout-out, nice
nice! thanks for pointing that out
finding Epaulet was definitely a "contentedness" moment for me, and for those very reasons. once I found out that the fit was perfect for me and I loved nearly everything they're putting out there, I knew I could just "stock up" on Epaulet stuff and be content without having to cross-shop elsewhere.
One can be content and still be in the process of purchasing & building a wardrobe.post #191 of 6057/13/12 at 10:58ampost #192 of 6057/13/12 at 11:24amThat reminds me, I'm pretty content with all my apple products. I used to be a pretty big computer nerd but then I bought a MacBook and an iPhone and they jus work and there's no need to waste time thinking about the computer itself, it becomes about what you do with it, which is how it should be.post #193 of 6057/13/12 at 11:40amQuote:Originally Posted by mike868y
That reminds me, I'm pretty content with all my apple products. I used to be a pretty big computer nerd but then I bought a MacBook and an iPhone and they jus work and there's no need to waste time thinking about the computer itself, it becomes about what you do with it, which is how it should be.
Same here.post #194 of 6057/13/12 at 11:41amThis thread came at a good time as I'm finally coming into that contentedness point with my wardrobe. There are maybe 2-3 things I'd like such as a nice knit and one more pair of boots once it gets cold again but that's now what this thread is about... What it is about is finally being really fucking happy when I look in the mirror two years later after finding this place and not having a clue as to what clarks desert boots even were.
I think I went the usual SF route in thinking I was the man for taking some e-advice about wearing clarks with raw denim to start and some plaid button down out to bars on the weekends. A slight upgrade over the usual "bro" attire, or was it? But now as I'm finally becoming content I start to see clothing differently. I look back at the process and really see how my clothing changed as I did through my early 20's. Even in the past 8 months really. For example, I bought my first ToJ about 9 months ago and when I ordered it I was too intimidated by the 2010DR in black so I went with the MDR in grey. Well now I'm on the verge of wanting to sell my MDR in grey as I own a red 2010 DR and a black 2010 DR. Both being tied for my favorite leather jacket and I don't think I'll buy another leather unless it's a brown bomber some time down the road.
As far as jeans go... well I wear my APC rescues a whole bunch as I have big legs but frankly I've never been happier with a jeans purchase until recently when I picked up a chalk wash pair from RRL. Holy shit. They are glorious in person. Pictures online don't do them justice.
However, only one thing has remained constant over the 2 years I've been reading these forums: I've always wanted a pair of F+B Elf boots as soon as I saw a poster throw up a fit pic with them. They just called my name. For about a year I put it on the backburner up until a couple of weekends ago. I finally pulled the trigger on a pair of gray suede and, yes, maybe they are slightly overpriced for the mid tier range but I love them.
I also have a pair of Samurai 710 black shadows that are terrific for the colder months. I wear them all the time and they fit my body better than almost any other jeans I own.
I'm waiting on a tan bball from ToJ in the mail that, judging from the pictures and reviews, I'll add the this list when it arrives.
I'm also happy to say for the first time in a long time there is nothing on my immediate radar to add. I just want to enjoy what I have for the upcoming months.post #195 of 6057/13/12 at 12:00pm
I purchased my Quoddy bluchers brand new for only $45 back in November or December of last year. I didn't really know what I was getting when I bought them, but they've turned out to be my most frequently worn item in my closet. I've worn them more days than I've not and will continue to do so until they've completely fallen apart. Then, I suppose I'll start over with a new pair.
- The Contentedness thread
- The Current State of Americana
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 8 seconds ago
- › *Price Reduction* Carmina Chukka in Snuff Suede US 10.5/UK 9.5... 31 seconds ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 31 seconds ago
- › New Allen Edmonds Walden Loafers Burgundy 11.5 B (No Defect) 47 seconds ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 1 minute ago
- › Burberry Womens Nova Check Prorsum Trench Coat 2 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Bourbon. 4 minutes ago
- › BURBERRY BLACK WOMENS QUILT JACKET 4 minutes ago
- › Vintage Ray Ban Expert 4 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...