Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by LA Guy, 3/1/15
- categoryCoatstagged by LA Guy, 3/1/15
- categoryCoats Jacketstagged by LA Guy, 3/1/15
- brandCommon Projectstagged by LA Guy, 3/1/15
- itemCommon Projects Laced shoestagged by LA Guy, 3/1/15
- itemCommon Projects Sneakerstagged by LA Guy, 3/1/15
- topicShoestagged by LA Guy, 3/1/15
Related Forum Threads
- 6.25 Common Projects - NdG Peacoat Last post on 6/26/11 at 11:07am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 10:53 am in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Yesterday at 12:24 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Official Common Projects Thread Last post on 8/23/16 at 8:26pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Have you ever had an occasion where SF mentality/attitude/uniform etc. been a detriment for you? Last post on 8/27/14 at 4:05am in Classic Menswear
Styleforum visits De Bonne Facture at Paris Men's Week 2016
Last edited: 1/29/16
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: OuterwearLast edited: 11/11/15
- What it Means to be Made in ItalyLast edited: 2/9/15
- The Current State of AmericanaLast edited: 2/10/15
- The Styleforum Brief: February 2015Last edited: 2/9/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Contentedness thread - Page 13post #181 of 6677/12/12 at 6:40pmpost #182 of 6677/12/12 at 7:04pmpost #183 of 6677/12/12 at 7:40pmThread Starterpost #184 of 6677/12/12 at 8:41pmDesigner drive; das bling; creation ex (n)nihilo; anaMMMorphosis; jouissense...
The point isn't to "redeem" yourself by acquiring some totalized—and totalizing—identity through your clothes. Instead of identifying with some symptom—our inability to attain sartorial perfection—we should instead identify with our sinThomBrowne.
I'm done stretching Lacanian psychoanalysis to clothing; fuck this. G'night.post #185 of 6677/12/12 at 8:58pmThread StarterQuote:
Cool, could you forget about the ones you don't have and take a few minutes to tell us about what you love about the one you have? Pictures would be a bonus!post #186 of 6677/12/12 at 11:01pmpost #187 of 6677/13/12 at 4:07amQuote:Originally Posted by Synthese
Sigh. I have 3 pairs of petit standards and another 3 pairs of 511s.
3 marc by marc jacobs button-downs that I just buy in my size whenever i see them, and 3 j crew flannels. Oh my god, I also have 3 RO tees and 3 silent tees and 3 geller seconds tees.
OH GOD AND 3 PAIRS OF RICK SHORTS AND 3 MARGIELA BLAZERSoh wait I only have two of those, whew.
That was like looking into the abyss, for a second.Quote:Quote:
"Women Shop, Men Stockpile":
For Guys, a Great Find Is Often Multiplied by The New York Times.post #188 of 6677/13/12 at 5:49ampost #189 of 6677/13/12 at 6:09ampost #190 of 6677/13/12 at 10:13amQuote:Originally Posted by momentoftruthQuote:
with an Epaulet shout-out, nice
nice! thanks for pointing that out
finding Epaulet was definitely a "contentedness" moment for me, and for those very reasons. once I found out that the fit was perfect for me and I loved nearly everything they're putting out there, I knew I could just "stock up" on Epaulet stuff and be content without having to cross-shop elsewhere.
One can be content and still be in the process of purchasing & building a wardrobe.post #191 of 6677/13/12 at 10:58ampost #192 of 6677/13/12 at 11:24amThat reminds me, I'm pretty content with all my apple products. I used to be a pretty big computer nerd but then I bought a MacBook and an iPhone and they jus work and there's no need to waste time thinking about the computer itself, it becomes about what you do with it, which is how it should be.post #193 of 6677/13/12 at 11:40amQuote:Originally Posted by mike868y
That reminds me, I'm pretty content with all my apple products. I used to be a pretty big computer nerd but then I bought a MacBook and an iPhone and they jus work and there's no need to waste time thinking about the computer itself, it becomes about what you do with it, which is how it should be.
Same here.post #194 of 6677/13/12 at 11:41amThis thread came at a good time as I'm finally coming into that contentedness point with my wardrobe. There are maybe 2-3 things I'd like such as a nice knit and one more pair of boots once it gets cold again but that's now what this thread is about... What it is about is finally being really fucking happy when I look in the mirror two years later after finding this place and not having a clue as to what clarks desert boots even were.
I think I went the usual SF route in thinking I was the man for taking some e-advice about wearing clarks with raw denim to start and some plaid button down out to bars on the weekends. A slight upgrade over the usual "bro" attire, or was it? But now as I'm finally becoming content I start to see clothing differently. I look back at the process and really see how my clothing changed as I did through my early 20's. Even in the past 8 months really. For example, I bought my first ToJ about 9 months ago and when I ordered it I was too intimidated by the 2010DR in black so I went with the MDR in grey. Well now I'm on the verge of wanting to sell my MDR in grey as I own a red 2010 DR and a black 2010 DR. Both being tied for my favorite leather jacket and I don't think I'll buy another leather unless it's a brown bomber some time down the road.
As far as jeans go... well I wear my APC rescues a whole bunch as I have big legs but frankly I've never been happier with a jeans purchase until recently when I picked up a chalk wash pair from RRL. Holy shit. They are glorious in person. Pictures online don't do them justice.
However, only one thing has remained constant over the 2 years I've been reading these forums: I've always wanted a pair of F+B Elf boots as soon as I saw a poster throw up a fit pic with them. They just called my name. For about a year I put it on the backburner up until a couple of weekends ago. I finally pulled the trigger on a pair of gray suede and, yes, maybe they are slightly overpriced for the mid tier range but I love them.
I also have a pair of Samurai 710 black shadows that are terrific for the colder months. I wear them all the time and they fit my body better than almost any other jeans I own.
I'm waiting on a tan bball from ToJ in the mail that, judging from the pictures and reviews, I'll add the this list when it arrives.
I'm also happy to say for the first time in a long time there is nothing on my immediate radar to add. I just want to enjoy what I have for the upcoming months.post #195 of 6677/13/12 at 12:00pm
I purchased my Quoddy bluchers brand new for only $45 back in November or December of last year. I didn't really know what I was getting when I bought them, but they've turned out to be my most frequently worn item in my closet. I've worn them more days than I've not and will continue to do so until they've completely fallen apart. Then, I suppose I'll start over with a new pair.
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Outerwear
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 2 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 4 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 4 minutes ago
- › Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Official Terrorist Bombing and Other Acts of Inhumanity Thread 5 minutes ago
- › What brand and model is this leather jacket? 6 minutes ago
- › I think I hate San Francisco. 6 minutes ago
- › A.P.C. The official thread for APC denim sizing and other questions. 7 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 9 minutes ago
- › Trump is #2 in GOP Field 9 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding