or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › What's the story on European mattresses?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What's the story on European mattresses? - Page 2

post #16 of 27
What I was trying to say is that IKEA is not worth the money. The cheap mattresses are terrible and for the price of the "high end" range (300-400€ or so for a 90x200) you can get far better Dunlopillo (for example) mattressees (at least on discount). Have you tried to e-mail them reagarding retailers?
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex View Post

Serious?
Ikea? (
Well, they go through an intense durability testing, have long warranties and you can return the mattress after 90 days of use if it isn't to your liking. I've also found their quality/price -ratio far higher than Hästens and such. I don't have experience on Dunlopillos though.
post #18 of 27

They are latex mattresses, and I have NO idea why they haven't caught on in America.  Mine was the best purchase I've ever made.

 

I got mine from http://www.sleepez.com/ and they had fantastic customer service (redirected my order mid-shipment when my condo wasn't ready to move into), but there are several other reputable dealers out there. 

 

I don't recommend anything below 8in thick at the bare minimum.  If you are 175lbs+, you need 10 inches at least.  If you aren't sure what you want, just give them a call and they will help you figure it out.  

 

Real natural latex is just on a totally different level than any box spring or memory foam mattress, in my opinion. 

post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1os View Post

What I was trying to say is that IKEA is not worth the money. The cheap mattresses are terrible and for the price of the "high end" range (300-400€ or so for a 90x200) you can get far better Dunlopillo (for example) mattressees (at least on discount). Have you tried to e-mail them reagarding retailers?

For some reason I did not think about that, facepalm.gif I'll send them an email and update you guys.
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post

They are latex mattresses, and I have NO idea why they haven't caught on in America.  Mine was the best purchase I've ever made.

 

I got mine from http://www.sleepez.com/ and they had fantastic customer service (redirected my order mid-shipment when my condo wasn't ready to move into), but there are several other reputable dealers out there. 

 

I don't recommend anything below 8in thick at the bare minimum.  If you are 175lbs+, you need 10 inches at least.  If you aren't sure what you want, just give them a call and they will help you figure it out.  

 

Real natural latex is just on a totally different level than any box spring or memory foam mattress, in my opinion. 


Thanks, I will check them out.
post #21 of 27
following this thread
post #22 of 27
All you need to know and more:
http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/

And I've been into this store (so you know it's not actually a storage unit in Bangore doing the shipping) , they seem decent and are one of the cheaper sources for Natural Latex I've found:
http://www.foamorder.com/wholesale.html
post #23 of 27
After honeymooning in France and Italy ten + years ago, my wife, who has chronic back and neck problems, had the same opinion you do about European beds. We lived in the bay area at the time, and bought a set up from this European Sleepworks in Berkeley: http://www.sleepworks.com/mattresses

Still have it and will replace it with another from ESW when the time comes. It's awesome.
post #24 of 27

I had the same experience. They used slat beds in all the hotels I was in. It's the slats and then the no-spring mattress that does it all. perfect for the back. IKEA is cheap- but if you buy the higher end more expensive mattress I think you'll be ok. It's the only place that I've been able to find them in the US. I lived in Europe for awhile and thought about trying to send one home, but it was too pricey for me. 

post #25 of 27

Hi David did u find the European firm bed ,i am really interested plz let me know thanks

post #26 of 27

First, I love how "European" is somehow automatically all in the same category, despite including so many different countries, all with their own mattress manufacturers. Also, Americans are totally obsessed with comfort, and they tend to have overly soft mattresses which are bad for the back (and chairs and sofas and carpet everywhere and even cusioned toilet seats, etc). You can find firm, non-coil non-spring mattresses in the US. My experience in Europe is that there is a wide range of quality, sometimes the slats underneath can be felt if the mattress is too thin, sometimes they can break..Also, they CAN have a box spring. I live in Europe and I have a box spring for god's sake.  It's not JUST because a mattress is from Europe that it is automatically better or a single layer mattress. Just sayin'.

post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverGauffe View Post

First, I love how "European" is somehow automatically all in the same category, despite including so many different countries, all with their own mattress manufacturers. Also, Americans are totally obsessed with comfort, and they tend to have overly soft mattresses which are bad for the back (and chairs and sofas and carpet everywhere and even cusioned toilet seats, etc). You can find firm, non-coil non-spring mattresses in the US. My experience in Europe is that there is a wide range of quality, sometimes the slats underneath can be felt if the mattress is too thin, sometimes they can break..Also, they CAN have a box spring. I live in Europe and I have a box spring for god's sake.  It's not JUST because a mattress is from Europe that it is automatically better or a single layer mattress. Just sayin'.
You seem mad. Are you not sleeping well at night? Maybe you should get a European bed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › What's the story on European mattresses?