Yes, I know there've been a hundred threads on this, but I'm looking for a classic dinner jacket and trousers, around $750 or so. Wide-ish peak lapels, no venting, etc, grosgrain lapels? Would I have any hope in my range?
Related Forum Threads
- Brands similar to Brooks Brothers' Price Range Last post on 8/25/12 at 10:04am in Classic Menswear
- MEGATHREAD - LOTS & LOTS of SUITS, BLAZERS, COATS / JACKETS - 50+ Items - All Sizes in Size... Last post on 3/3/12 at 7:15pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Official 36R/37R/38R Trading and Listing Post Last post on 7/12/11 at 12:18pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- 45 R Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece Navy Pinstripe Suit 45R Last post on 3/24/14 at 7:55am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- MONITALY AT PITTI UOMO 85 Last post on 9/23/14 at 11:28am in Streetwear and Denim
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 10.30.12Last edited: 1/4/13
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 9.18.12Last edited: 1/4/13
- What Tuxedo Do I Need For A Black Tie Event?Last edited: 10/12/12
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Looking for a dinner jacketpost #1 of 216/3/12 at 8:04pmThread Starter
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2 of 216/4/12 at 12:10ampost #3 of 216/4/12 at 3:51ampost #4 of 216/4/12 at 4:06ampost #5 of 216/4/12 at 4:09ampost #6 of 216/4/12 at 7:07ampost #7 of 216/5/12 at 1:01pmThread Starterpost #8 of 216/5/12 at 1:34pmQuote:
Currently, JAB Signature tuxedos are on sale for $399. They fit the criteria the OP listed and are elegant looking for the sale price.post #9 of 216/5/12 at 1:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by Despos
80 maybe 90% of suits sold in the US are in 300.00 or so price range to 98% of men who grudgingly buy a suit because of need and and not want. The suit is worn occasionally or with no thought to style, fit or make. JAB or Men's Wearhouse cater to this market. The clothing construction and fabrics are the bare minimum to qualify them as "clothes" they are more correctly classified as "coverings". Seriously, the construction time of one of these suits is probably 20 minutes on the trouser and a little over an hour on the jacket. The manufacturing cost is the smallest cost compared to distribution, marketing and overhead. They probably cost 30 to 50.00 for cloth and make. They are made to be profitable at the sale prices. Jefferyd could qualify these points.
These suits meet a need in the marketplace but are poor value. They really are quite expensive regarding value for money spent. Almost everything in retail is on sale at some point and I would much rather buy a 700.00 suit at 50% off that has a bit of internal integrity than what these garments are. I've opened them up and there is nothing there. Not to nitpick these two brands, this happens in diffusion lines of big names as well.
I think Boyer said this in his writing. Frugal men bought the best they could afford because in the end they were better served by the quality.
Instead, tuck the flaps in.post #10 of 216/5/12 at 1:53pmAlso:Quote:Originally Posted by unbelragazzo
I'd start with this tux:
As for what choices to make with those accessories, start here and then follow all the links at the bottom:
http://www.styleforum.net/a/what-tuxedo-do-i-need-for-a-black-tie-eventpost #11 of 216/5/12 at 1:56pmpost #12 of 216/5/12 at 3:20pmThread Starter
I was actually looking at the Suit Supply, but I'm not too crazy about the button stance or the vents. I do like the BB one though, could it be on sale any time soon? I'm assuming it has no vents? I was also hoping for a bit more belly but I suppose that's a sacrifice to the cost...
EDIT: That's just the jacket? I was saying $750 for both- really less.post #13 of 216/5/12 at 6:52pmpost #14 of 216/5/12 at 7:40pmThread Starter
:rage: Its going to have to be like 70% off to justify those prices.
Polo Ralph Lauren has a tuxedo with peak grosgrain lapels. You could close up the side vents. It's $1595 retail but you might be able to find it for less.[/quote]
How much less?
- Looking for a dinner jacket
Styleforum Top Picks
- Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 50 seconds ago
- › Brand New Plum Museum John Lobb Shoes 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Poor man's watch thread 1 minute ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 2 minutes ago
- › Light Blue Dress Shirt with Navy Suit? 3 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 3 minutes ago
- › VASS BLACK FORMAL BOOTS U LAST SIZE 43 3 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 3 minutes ago
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 5 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Men’s Jewellery Trends 2014/15
- › Watch and Jewellery Trends: Black on Black...
- › Trend Forecasting 2015: Men’s Accessories
- › Patek Philippe 175th Anniversary
- › Office Casual - The Death of the Neck Tie?
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...