Yes, I know there've been a hundred threads on this, but I'm looking for a classic dinner jacket and trousers, around $750 or so. Wide-ish peak lapels, no venting, etc, grosgrain lapels? Would I have any hope in my range?
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 1:01 pm in Classic Menswear
- Brands similar to Brooks Brothers' Price Range Last post on 8/25/12 at 10:04am in Classic Menswear
- MEGATHREAD - LOTS & LOTS of SUITS, BLAZERS, COATS / JACKETS - 50+ Items - All Sizes in Size... Last post on 3/3/12 at 7:15pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Official 36R/37R/38R Trading and Listing Post Last post on 7/12/11 at 12:18pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Styleforum and A&H present "The Proper Kit" Trunk show in NYC, Nov 7 2015 Last post on 9/30/16 at 5:32am in Classic Menswear
Can I wear a waistcoat made of a different cloth than my tuxedo?
Last edited: 3/24/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: 10/6/15
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Looking for a dinner jacketpost #1 of 216/3/12 at 8:04pmThread Starterpost #2 of 216/4/12 at 12:10ampost #3 of 216/4/12 at 3:51ampost #4 of 216/4/12 at 4:06ampost #5 of 216/4/12 at 4:09ampost #6 of 216/4/12 at 7:07ampost #7 of 216/5/12 at 1:01pmThread Starterpost #8 of 216/5/12 at 1:34pmQuote:
Currently, JAB Signature tuxedos are on sale for $399. They fit the criteria the OP listed and are elegant looking for the sale price.post #9 of 216/5/12 at 1:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by Despos
80 maybe 90% of suits sold in the US are in 300.00 or so price range to 98% of men who grudgingly buy a suit because of need and and not want. The suit is worn occasionally or with no thought to style, fit or make. JAB or Men's Wearhouse cater to this market. The clothing construction and fabrics are the bare minimum to qualify them as "clothes" they are more correctly classified as "coverings". Seriously, the construction time of one of these suits is probably 20 minutes on the trouser and a little over an hour on the jacket. The manufacturing cost is the smallest cost compared to distribution, marketing and overhead. They probably cost 30 to 50.00 for cloth and make. They are made to be profitable at the sale prices. Jefferyd could qualify these points.
These suits meet a need in the marketplace but are poor value. They really are quite expensive regarding value for money spent. Almost everything in retail is on sale at some point and I would much rather buy a 700.00 suit at 50% off that has a bit of internal integrity than what these garments are. I've opened them up and there is nothing there. Not to nitpick these two brands, this happens in diffusion lines of big names as well.
I think Boyer said this in his writing. Frugal men bought the best they could afford because in the end they were better served by the quality.
Instead, tuck the flaps in.post #10 of 216/5/12 at 1:53pmAlso:Quote:Originally Posted by unbelragazzo
I'd start with this tux:
As for what choices to make with those accessories, start here and then follow all the links at the bottom:
http://www.styleforum.net/a/what-tuxedo-do-i-need-for-a-black-tie-eventpost #11 of 216/5/12 at 1:56pmpost #12 of 216/5/12 at 3:20pmThread Starter
I was actually looking at the Suit Supply, but I'm not too crazy about the button stance or the vents. I do like the BB one though, could it be on sale any time soon? I'm assuming it has no vents? I was also hoping for a bit more belly but I suppose that's a sacrifice to the cost...
EDIT: That's just the jacket? I was saying $750 for both- really less.post #13 of 216/5/12 at 6:52pmpost #14 of 216/5/12 at 7:40pmThread Starter
:rage: Its going to have to be like 70% off to justify those prices.
Polo Ralph Lauren has a tuxedo with peak grosgrain lapels. You could close up the side vents. It's $1595 retail but you might be able to find it for less.[/quote]
How much less?post #15 of 216/5/12 at 7:45pm
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 26 seconds ago
- › ***The Official Rick Owens Thread*** 43 seconds ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 1 minute ago
- › Boots Boots Boots - For Boot Guys Only 3 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 5 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 6 minutes ago
- › NWOT Massimo Dutti wool/cashmere jacket, US42 6 minutes ago
- › The Home Ownership Thread 6 minutes ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 8 minutes ago
- › John Lobb Double monk strap 12 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...