Yes, I know there've been a hundred threads on this, but I'm looking for a classic dinner jacket and trousers, around $750 or so. Wide-ish peak lapels, no venting, etc, grosgrain lapels? Would I have any hope in my range?
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 10:24 am in Classic Menswear
- Brands similar to Brooks Brothers' Price Range Last post on 8/25/12 at 10:04am in Classic Menswear
- MEGATHREAD - LOTS & LOTS of SUITS, BLAZERS, COATS / JACKETS - 50+ Items - All Sizes in Size... Last post on 3/3/12 at 7:15pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Official 36R/37R/38R Trading and Listing Post Last post on 7/12/11 at 12:18pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Ragged (!) Trousered Philanthropists Last post on Yesterday at 1:32 pm in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- The Styleforum Brief: May 2015Last edited: 5/7/15
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 10.30.12Last edited: 1/4/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Looking for a dinner jacketpost #1 of 216/3/12 at 8:04pmThread Starter
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2 of 216/4/12 at 12:10ampost #3 of 216/4/12 at 3:51ampost #4 of 216/4/12 at 4:06ampost #5 of 216/4/12 at 4:09ampost #6 of 216/4/12 at 7:07ampost #7 of 216/5/12 at 1:01pmThread Starterpost #8 of 216/5/12 at 1:34pmQuote:
Currently, JAB Signature tuxedos are on sale for $399. They fit the criteria the OP listed and are elegant looking for the sale price.post #9 of 216/5/12 at 1:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by Despos
80 maybe 90% of suits sold in the US are in 300.00 or so price range to 98% of men who grudgingly buy a suit because of need and and not want. The suit is worn occasionally or with no thought to style, fit or make. JAB or Men's Wearhouse cater to this market. The clothing construction and fabrics are the bare minimum to qualify them as "clothes" they are more correctly classified as "coverings". Seriously, the construction time of one of these suits is probably 20 minutes on the trouser and a little over an hour on the jacket. The manufacturing cost is the smallest cost compared to distribution, marketing and overhead. They probably cost 30 to 50.00 for cloth and make. They are made to be profitable at the sale prices. Jefferyd could qualify these points.
These suits meet a need in the marketplace but are poor value. They really are quite expensive regarding value for money spent. Almost everything in retail is on sale at some point and I would much rather buy a 700.00 suit at 50% off that has a bit of internal integrity than what these garments are. I've opened them up and there is nothing there. Not to nitpick these two brands, this happens in diffusion lines of big names as well.
I think Boyer said this in his writing. Frugal men bought the best they could afford because in the end they were better served by the quality.
Instead, tuck the flaps in.post #10 of 216/5/12 at 1:53pmAlso:Quote:Originally Posted by unbelragazzo
I'd start with this tux:
As for what choices to make with those accessories, start here and then follow all the links at the bottom:
http://www.styleforum.net/a/what-tuxedo-do-i-need-for-a-black-tie-eventpost #11 of 216/5/12 at 1:56pmpost #12 of 216/5/12 at 3:20pmThread Starter
I was actually looking at the Suit Supply, but I'm not too crazy about the button stance or the vents. I do like the BB one though, could it be on sale any time soon? I'm assuming it has no vents? I was also hoping for a bit more belly but I suppose that's a sacrifice to the cost...
EDIT: That's just the jacket? I was saying $750 for both- really less.post #13 of 216/5/12 at 6:52pmpost #14 of 216/5/12 at 7:40pmThread Starter
:rage: Its going to have to be like 70% off to justify those prices.
Polo Ralph Lauren has a tuxedo with peak grosgrain lapels. You could close up the side vents. It's $1595 retail but you might be able to find it for less.[/quote]
How much less?
- Looking for a dinner jacket
Styleforum Top Picks
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate It
- › THE OFFICIAL "streetwear" BALLER BOOT/SHOE THREAD ***700usd Min*** 19 seconds ago
- › SW&D CHALLENGE - DENIM - 24 May 2015 57 seconds ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 1 minute ago
- › Ongoing Bespoke Projects 2 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 3 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Park Avenue 8.5D 3 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 6 minutes ago
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here... 8 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 8 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 12 minutes ago
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Who Won Styleforum's First Ever Gallery...
- › Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I...
- › The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
- › How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring...
- › 6 Hats for Spring and Summer
- › Bourbon Season: Three Cocktails For Spring
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan