Yes, I know there've been a hundred threads on this, but I'm looking for a classic dinner jacket and trousers, around $750 or so. Wide-ish peak lapels, no venting, etc, grosgrain lapels? Would I have any hope in my range?
Related Forum Threads
- Brands similar to Brooks Brothers' Price Range Last post on 8/25/12 at 10:04am in Classic Menswear
- MEGATHREAD - LOTS & LOTS of SUITS, BLAZERS, COATS / JACKETS - 50+ Items - All Sizes in Size... Last post on 3/3/12 at 7:15pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Official 36R/37R/38R Trading and Listing Post Last post on 7/12/11 at 12:18pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- 45 R Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece Navy Pinstripe Suit 45R Last post on 3/24/14 at 7:55am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- MONITALY AT PITTI UOMO 85 Last post on 3/18/14 at 10:13am in Streetwear and Denim
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 10.30.12Last edited: 1/4/13
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 9.18.12Last edited: 1/4/13
- What Tuxedo Do I Need For A Black Tie Event?Last edited: 10/12/12
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Looking for a dinner jacketpost #1 of 216/3/12 at 8:04pmThread Starterpost #2 of 216/4/12 at 12:10ampost #3 of 216/4/12 at 3:51ampost #4 of 216/4/12 at 4:06ampost #5 of 216/4/12 at 4:09ampost #6 of 216/4/12 at 7:07ampost #7 of 216/5/12 at 1:01pmThread Starterpost #8 of 216/5/12 at 1:34pmQuote:
Currently, JAB Signature tuxedos are on sale for $399. They fit the criteria the OP listed and are elegant looking for the sale price.post #9 of 216/5/12 at 1:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by Despos
80 maybe 90% of suits sold in the US are in 300.00 or so price range to 98% of men who grudgingly buy a suit because of need and and not want. The suit is worn occasionally or with no thought to style, fit or make. JAB or Men's Wearhouse cater to this market. The clothing construction and fabrics are the bare minimum to qualify them as "clothes" they are more correctly classified as "coverings". Seriously, the construction time of one of these suits is probably 20 minutes on the trouser and a little over an hour on the jacket. The manufacturing cost is the smallest cost compared to distribution, marketing and overhead. They probably cost 30 to 50.00 for cloth and make. They are made to be profitable at the sale prices. Jefferyd could qualify these points.
These suits meet a need in the marketplace but are poor value. They really are quite expensive regarding value for money spent. Almost everything in retail is on sale at some point and I would much rather buy a 700.00 suit at 50% off that has a bit of internal integrity than what these garments are. I've opened them up and there is nothing there. Not to nitpick these two brands, this happens in diffusion lines of big names as well.
I think Boyer said this in his writing. Frugal men bought the best they could afford because in the end they were better served by the quality.
Instead, tuck the flaps in.post #10 of 216/5/12 at 1:53pmAlso:Quote:Originally Posted by unbelragazzo
I'd start with this tux:
As for what choices to make with those accessories, start here and then follow all the links at the bottom:
http://www.styleforum.net/a/what-tuxedo-do-i-need-for-a-black-tie-eventpost #11 of 216/5/12 at 1:56pmpost #12 of 216/5/12 at 3:20pmThread Starter
I was actually looking at the Suit Supply, but I'm not too crazy about the button stance or the vents. I do like the BB one though, could it be on sale any time soon? I'm assuming it has no vents? I was also hoping for a bit more belly but I suppose that's a sacrifice to the cost...
EDIT: That's just the jacket? I was saying $750 for both- really less.post #13 of 216/5/12 at 6:52pmpost #14 of 216/5/12 at 7:40pmThread Starter
:rage: Its going to have to be like 70% off to justify those prices.
Polo Ralph Lauren has a tuxedo with peak grosgrain lapels. You could close up the side vents. It's $1595 retail but you might be able to find it for less.[/quote]
How much less?
- Looking for a dinner jacket
Styles mentioned in this thread:
- Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › NFL 2014-15 Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 2 minutes ago
- › Canali's shoes quality 3 minutes ago
- › Brand new YSL Messager BAG from 2012 collection, huge disccount 3 minutes ago
- › GentlemensFootwear.com (Carmina, Drakes, Cappelli, Finamore) -... 4 minutes ago
- › Cole Haan Madison Captoe 4 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 5 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 5 minutes ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 6 minutes ago
- › new Yoox codes and sales - post them here 6 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)