Yes, I know there've been a hundred threads on this, but I'm looking for a classic dinner jacket and trousers, around $750 or so. Wide-ish peak lapels, no venting, etc, grosgrain lapels? Would I have any hope in my range?
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 6:05 pm in Classic Menswear
- Brands similar to Brooks Brothers' Price Range Last post on 8/25/12 at 10:04am in Classic Menswear
- MEGATHREAD - LOTS & LOTS of SUITS, BLAZERS, COATS / JACKETS - 50+ Items - All Sizes in Size... Last post on 3/3/12 at 7:15pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Official 36R/37R/38R Trading and Listing Post Last post on 7/12/11 at 12:18pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Ragged (!) Trousered Philanthropists Last post on 7/25/15 at 11:53am in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88Last edited: 7/26/15
- What I learned from my own wedding day, and how it can help you.Last edited: 7/9/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Looking for a dinner jacketpost #1 of 216/3/12 at 8:04pmThread Starter
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2 of 216/4/12 at 12:10ampost #3 of 216/4/12 at 3:51ampost #4 of 216/4/12 at 4:06ampost #5 of 216/4/12 at 4:09ampost #6 of 216/4/12 at 7:07ampost #7 of 216/5/12 at 1:01pmThread Starterpost #8 of 216/5/12 at 1:34pmQuote:
Currently, JAB Signature tuxedos are on sale for $399. They fit the criteria the OP listed and are elegant looking for the sale price.post #9 of 216/5/12 at 1:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by Despos
80 maybe 90% of suits sold in the US are in 300.00 or so price range to 98% of men who grudgingly buy a suit because of need and and not want. The suit is worn occasionally or with no thought to style, fit or make. JAB or Men's Wearhouse cater to this market. The clothing construction and fabrics are the bare minimum to qualify them as "clothes" they are more correctly classified as "coverings". Seriously, the construction time of one of these suits is probably 20 minutes on the trouser and a little over an hour on the jacket. The manufacturing cost is the smallest cost compared to distribution, marketing and overhead. They probably cost 30 to 50.00 for cloth and make. They are made to be profitable at the sale prices. Jefferyd could qualify these points.
These suits meet a need in the marketplace but are poor value. They really are quite expensive regarding value for money spent. Almost everything in retail is on sale at some point and I would much rather buy a 700.00 suit at 50% off that has a bit of internal integrity than what these garments are. I've opened them up and there is nothing there. Not to nitpick these two brands, this happens in diffusion lines of big names as well.
I think Boyer said this in his writing. Frugal men bought the best they could afford because in the end they were better served by the quality.
Instead, tuck the flaps in.post #10 of 216/5/12 at 1:53pmAlso:Quote:Originally Posted by unbelragazzo
I'd start with this tux:
As for what choices to make with those accessories, start here and then follow all the links at the bottom:
http://www.styleforum.net/a/what-tuxedo-do-i-need-for-a-black-tie-eventpost #11 of 216/5/12 at 1:56pmpost #12 of 216/5/12 at 3:20pmThread Starter
I was actually looking at the Suit Supply, but I'm not too crazy about the button stance or the vents. I do like the BB one though, could it be on sale any time soon? I'm assuming it has no vents? I was also hoping for a bit more belly but I suppose that's a sacrifice to the cost...
EDIT: That's just the jacket? I was saying $750 for both- really less.post #13 of 216/5/12 at 6:52pmpost #14 of 216/5/12 at 7:40pmThread Starter
:rage: Its going to have to be like 70% off to justify those prices.
Polo Ralph Lauren has a tuxedo with peak grosgrain lapels. You could close up the side vents. It's $1595 retail but you might be able to find it for less.[/quote]
How much less?
- Looking for a dinner jacket
- David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 2 seconds ago
- › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › NFL 2015-16 Thread 1 minute ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 3 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 7 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 8 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 10 minutes ago
- › Kamakura Shirts - Madison Ave Store 11 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 12 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...