or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What would you do in my situation...?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What would you do in my situation...?

post #1 of 54
Thread Starter 

I'm getting married in a week and a half, and I'm going to be wearing a tux. Rather than rent one, I figured I'm going to buy. So I decided to go all out and spend a good chunk of cash on it. I went to a very well-known designer and found a tux that looked perfect - I looked like James Bond in the thing. It was really expensive, but it looked amazing, so I went ahead and bought it. This is where things get annoying...

The shop that I bought the tux from brought their tailor in to do some basic alterations. The jacket fit almost perfectly, so there really wasn't a need to go crazy on it. Anyway, the tailor takes the jacket and does his thing. Then a week later I go pick it up, and try it on, and it doesn't fit right. It pinches where the chest meets the right shoulder, and the fabric folds onto itself. I point this out to the sales guy, and he acknowledges that it does look a little weird, so we give it back to the tailor, who says he'll fix it. It comes back again, and it's exactly the same; it's almost like the tailor didn't touch it at all. The thing still fits me like a rented suit. I point it out to the salesman again. Again, he agrees, it doesn't fit me. So we have the tailor look at it again. At this point, I can tell the tailor's getting annoyed; he thinks I'm being picky and demanding, but he agrees to fix it. It comes back again; I try it on (this time with my fiance and my brother there to check it out too), and it's gotten WAY WORSE. My fiance and brother can't believe how bad it looks given how much it cost. It's tight in the back and chest; the fabric around the right armpit is totally rumpled and folding onto itself, and the right arm is mangled looking. The sales guy that I had been dealing with wasn't there that day, and a group of sales women come over and tell me that there's nothing wrong with it. One even blames me for not "filling the jacket out enough", joking that I ought to get to the gym more to make the jacket fit right (this statement was particularly idiotic - not just because it's patently ridiculous to suggest that the ill-fitting jacket is somehow my body's fault, but also because the problem was that the jacket was too tight, not that it was too big). Anyway, I'm not a very confrontational guy. I hate being in situations like this, and I really felt uncomfortable. I was very polite to these people that were pretty rude to me (I've since regretted how polite I was). But I did say I wanted to take the jacket to another tailor to get his opinion. Over the weekend, I had two independent tailors look at it. Each immediately confirmed that the jacket doesn't fit me at all. One said that he couldn't do anything about it, and the other said he could fix it, but it would be costly. I went back to the store yesterday, and I talked with my original sales guy. I asked him to try on one of their un-tailored size 38 jackets to see how it originally fit. He gets one for me; I put it on, and it fits perfectly - exactly the way mine had when I first tried it on. Then I try mine on for him (mind you, he wasn't there the last time it came back, so he hadn't seen it), and he's shocked at how bad the fit is. He totally agrees that the tailor screwed the jacket up. So then I say that I want a new jacket; I'll bring it to my own tailor and have it fitted outside the store. The salesman understands, but he insists that there is no way he can give me a new jacket because mine has been altered and now they can't sell it to anyone else. He tells me that the only option at this point is to bring it back to this tailor that screwed it up and ask him to fix it. If it comes back still messed up, then maybe we can discuss an alternative (though he still would not commit to allowing me a new jacket). 

Anyway, my tux is back at the tailor now, and he's trying to fix it. I'm supposed to pick it up within the next day. Maybe it'll come back perfect, but this was a very expensive tux from a very well-known brand, and it seems like they really ought to be giving me a new jacket. Even if it comes back looking perfect, there's a part of me that doesn't want to take it because it's been messed with so much; who knows what has been done to the stitching, fabric etc. I've had some people tell me I need to get angrier and DEMAND a new jacket (not sure how that's supposed to work though). Others have told me that I should refuse to take it and dispute the charge. I don't know. The wedding's in just over a week, and there's not really much time to get another tux at this point. So what would you all do?

post #2 of 54
Stop talking with sales people and talk to the store manager or owner if it's an independent store. Explain and show him that an unaltered jacket fits and looks better than the altered jacket and that is the result you want or return the garment for a full refund. Keep it simple.

Can you find the Tux/brand elsewhere?
post #3 of 54
Thread Starter 

I was informed yesterday that the store manager is on vacation for the next two weeks.  That was part of the reason they said they can't give me a new jacket.  I've checked for the jacket elsewhere, but can't find it.  I know they carry the line at department stores like Barney's, Neiman Marcus etc, but those places only carry their suits, not their tuxedos.

post #4 of 54
So what are you thinking about doing if it doesn't get better?

I would suggest the third party tailor fix the tux and the store pay for it but that may be the manager's call. They would have to contact him. Problem arises if the third party tailor doesn't deliver as he says, then you are stuck.

Just be ready to walk away if you have to and start thinking about plan B.

I have a tailor shop and every so often a store will botch a RTW or even MTM suit or tux for a special event or wedding and I've made tuxedos or suits in as little as a week because they had to have the garment. Too bad you don't have more time on your side.
post #5 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despos View Post

So what are you thinking about doing if it doesn't get better?
I would suggest the third party tailor fix the tux and the store pay for it but that may be the manager's call. They would have to contact him. Problem arises if the third party tailor doesn't deliver as he says, then you are stuck.
Just be ready to walk away if you have to and start thinking about plan B.
I have a tailor shop and every so often a store will botch a RTW or even MTM suit or tux for a special event or wedding and I've made tuxedos or suits in as little as a week because they had to have the garment. Too bad you don't have more time on your side.

They said they would pay for a third party tailor if I want, but the catch is that if I bring it to someone else and something goes wrong, I'm screwed.  I'm going to start thinking about a plan B.  My hope is that the tux comes back looking perfect.  Since you work in this area, I'd love to know though, even if it does come back perfect, is it advisable to take it?  Could it be that having been altered this many times has screwed up the integrity of the garment in some way?

post #6 of 54
Do they have the same brand Tuxedo in your size in stock? Tell them you want to exchange yours for that one, unaltered. Don't have their tailor touch this one.

If not, find a place that has it, have it shipped to the tailor you want to alter it. Do this before you get a refund on the one you are dealing with. Don't burn a bridge before you can get a replacement.
post #7 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicktrav View Post

They said they would pay for a third party tailor if I want, but the catch is that if I bring it to someone else and something goes wrong, I'm screwed.  I'm going to start thinking about a plan B.  My hope is that the tux comes back looking perfect.  Since you work in this area, I'd love to know though, even if it does come back perfect, is it advisable to take it?  Could it be that having been altered this many times has screwed up the integrity of the garment in some way?

No way to know. Don't know what was done , how it was done, what has to be done to make it right.

Would you mind telling what city you are in?
post #8 of 54
Thread Starter 

They do have another one in the store.  I tried it on yesterday and it fit great, but they wouldn't give it to me.  They said that because mine was altered, they can't resell it and now the only option is to give their tailor another shot at fixing it.  If he tries again and it still comes back looking bad, then they said maybe we can discuss an alternative.  But they still wouldn't outright say they would give me the new tux.  Other stores sell suits by this designer, but I have not been able to find the tux anywhere else.  I looked online for it, and my size is labelled as out of stock on their website.  Pretty frustrating.  I'm just hoping that somehow it comes back looking great today. 

post #9 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despos View Post


No way to know. Don't know what was done , how it was done, what has to be done to make it right.
Would you mind telling what city you are in?

Los Angeles.

post #10 of 54

I would give them exactly one chance to make it right, not by wasting any more of your time "fixing" a botched job because your wedding is only 10 days away and quite frankly I'm sure you have other things you'd rather be spending your time on, but by exchanging as you requested.

 

If such a reasonable request isn't honored then my next step would be to call your credit card company.
 

post #11 of 54
Will check this thread later after you see the jacket.

Their reasoning is bad. THEY altered the jacket with THEIR OWN TAILOR but are not responsible. Go figure!
post #12 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:

I would give them exactly one chance to make it right, not by wasting any more of your time "fixing" a botched job because your wedding is only 10 days away and quite frankly I'm sure you have other things you'd rather be spending your time on, but by exchanging as you requested.

 

If such a reasonable request isn't honored then my next step would be to call your credit card company.

 

Yeah, this seems logical.

post #13 of 54
I assume you paid with a credit card. Leave the tuxedo jacket there, purchase the new one, and dispute the original charge with the credit card company in the amount of the new tuxedo jackets (to clarify, spent $3,000 originally, purchased new tuxedo jacket for $2,200, dispute the $3,000 charge with the credit card company saying you would like to pay $800). I would obviously inquire with your credit card company on the front end to make sure they will work with you, but when I have done this 1 time on a pair of pants that retailed @ $425.

American Express Platinum Business by the way, which I have always found to have extremely good customer service in this regard.
post #14 of 54
When you go back today, get pictures of yourself wearing both jackets so you'll have evidence of your claims
post #15 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicktrav View Post

They do have another one in the store.  I tried it on yesterday and it fit great, but they wouldn't give it to me.  They said that because mine was altered, they can't resell it and now the only option is to give their tailor another shot at fixing it.  If he tries again and it still comes back looking bad, then they said maybe we can discuss an alternative.  But they still wouldn't outright say they would give me the new tux.  Other stores sell suits by this designer, but I have not been able to find the tux anywhere else.  I looked online for it, and my size is labelled as out of stock on their website.  Pretty frustrating.  I'm just hoping that somehow it comes back looking great today. 

 

As Despos said, start working on your back-up plan.  If you are not satisfied with the store tailor's (3rd?) attempt to make this right and the store is still unwilling to do right by you, you give the store their options.  Tell the store they can  (i) give you a new unaltered tux in your size that you will take to another tailor; or (ii) they can lose a sale and eat the cost of the botched tux because you will walk out and have your credit card company reverse the charges.  For the second option, tell them you have already located a replacement that is on hold and will move on immediately if they do not make it right.  The problem is that, with the store manager gone, the staff is scared to make any tough decisions or agree to eat any costs.  You should calmly help them realize the shitstorm they will be in when the boss returns if their inactivity causes the store to have to eat the cost of a botched tux and deal with the negative publicity that you will ensure they receive for screwing up your wedding. 

 

In the meantime, you should be working on lining up a replacement tux and a good tailor who agrees to turn the alterations around in time for your wedding.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What would you do in my situation...?