or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Help with graduation attire. Gingham too informal?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help with graduation attire. Gingham too informal? - Page 2

Poll Results: Is gingham too informal for a graduation brunch?

 
  • 11% (3)
    Yes
  • 88% (24)
    No
27 Total Votes  
post #16 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdot View Post

I do not know your local culture and norms enough to say exactly.
Will a lounge suit be the norm amongst your peers?

I am from Canada and I noticed you were from Georgia so its safe to say we both follow the same 'cultural norms' at least in terms of Western Civilization. And looking through the past yearbooks the men at the graduation brunch all seem to wear dress slacks and a solid colour shirt, and tie, with a handful of graduates wearing a full suit.

post #17 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post

There is no shame in remediation. I did not mean to insult you, but rather, to place you on a proper course of self-discipline, correction, and uplift. The fact remains that you have not been educated. Not completely. Not yet. Do what must be done.

I suggest that in fact, the young man is indeed showing maturity and self discipline by seeking advice in private (internet). He thus may well stand a chance of making a good decision AND making it appear to all as if he already knows exactly how to dress for such occasions. Based on my perception of the fashion sense of most high school graduates this will place him no where near the bottom of the heap in any regards. As a matter of fact more likely quite near the top.
post #18 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdot View Post


I suggest that in fact, the young man is indeed showing maturity and self discipline by seeking advice in private (internet). He thus may well stand a chance of making a good decision AND making it appear to all as if he already knows exactly how to dress for such occasions. Based on my perception of the fashion sense of most high school graduates this will place him no where near the bottom of the heap in any regards. As a matter of fact more likely quite near the top.

 

He may well be of sound mind and character, but he must prove it to himself by doing what must be done. I have faith that he will meet the need for remedy and emerge a better young man for it.

post #19 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post

He may well be of sound mind and character, but he must prove it to himself by doing what must be done. I have faith that he will meet the need for remedy and emerge a better young man for it.

fair enough.
post #20 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdot View Post

Will a lounge suit be the norm amongst your peers?

I am trying to picture this wording being delivered to an American being graduated from school in 2012, and I am enjoying the imagery.
post #21 of 91
Now - back to the clothes if we may please.
post #22 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Corbera View Post

I am trying to picture this wording being delivered to an American being graduated from school in 2012, and I am enjoying the imagery.

Canadian.
post #23 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Corbera View Post


I am trying to picture this wording being delivered to an American being graduated from school in 2012, and I am enjoying the imagery.

Don't be so sure I am unaware of these things. I enjoy reading up on fashion, in particular reading up on the history of formal wear traditions and if my memory serves me correctly a lounge suit is also referred to as a morning coat and is similar in style to an American business suit. Then again I could be wrong, which I most likely am.

post #24 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post

 

He may well be of sound mind and character, but he must prove it to himself by doing what must be done. I have faith that he will meet the need for remedy and emerge a better young man for it.

I am still unaware of where you are getting this idea that I am some ignorant fool. You claim I am uneducated, calling this a 'fact' well the FACT is you are un-educated as well. Education is a lifelong process and there is always room for improvement. However you come at me saying I should stay behind, without having even met me nor provide a genuine basis for your argument. I might be inclined to say I am a cut above the rest of my peers and am in agreeance with Gdot where he asks the question, how many of my peers actually care about what they will be wearing?The answer only a handful, I simply was seeking some advice so I could make an educated decision based on the advice of some 'real-men' if you will, and not have to follow the high-school norms of black unbuttoned dress shirts and loose fitting white ties.

post #25 of 91
Thread Starter 

And judging by Mr. Treehorn's Avatar as well as his listed location, I believe it is fair to say he is far from 'enlightened' and may be in some need of 'remediation' himself. However this is a style forum quite literally and I think we are forgetting why we are here. I would like some suggestions for the event which is in less than 2 weeks and if you believe what I have selected at the moment is appropriate please vote on the poll, or provide feedback here. Thanks 

post #26 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post

There is no shame in remediation. I did not mean to insult you, but rather, to place you on a proper course of self-discipline, correction, and uplift. The fact remains that you have not been educated. Not completely. Not yet. Do what must be done.

Oh, give me a break.

OP, the shirt is fine, JT is just f*ing around with you. Congratulations on your graduation and enjoy the moment.
post #27 of 91
lurker[1].gif
post #28 of 91
I will be monitoring this thread closely
post #29 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicguy View Post

I will be monitoring this thread closely

As am I new to this forum, new as in I joined today, will you be monitoring because I am violating some sort of terms of the forum unknown to me, or because back and forth action is just that interesting?

post #30 of 91
Naw, just gonna get out the popcorn.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Help with graduation attire. Gingham too informal?