or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › I feel like a mess, help me out
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I feel like a mess, help me out - Page 2

post #16 of 27
I feel like absolute crap if I don't get out and walk a pretty reasonable distance every day. Just going to school and all my classes is usually enough, especially because now in the nice weather I just wander around campus during breaks and after school when otherwise I'd be at home in front of a CRT of some kind. The more exercise I get during the day, the better I sleep, and I don't sleep a long time. I wake up with my alarm and I'm just up, no problem. In contrast when I don't do anything all day and just sit around or maybe drive somewhere and eat something or go out drinking, I sleep for 10+ hours depending on what day it is and feel crappy all the next day and beyond. I make protein shakes and since I started making them a few weeks ago I haven't gone a day without one. I don't really want to pack on weight or lose any but I could do with some toning up and whatever, similar to you. I make them with some ice, juice and the powder, and they really do hit the spot for a quick breakfast before I get going in the morning or after walking. The main thing I'd say is don't overdo it in any way, don't try to do everything at once because it will be easy to think of it as a pain that you will then make an excuse to avoid. If it's just an enjoyable walk around to see what's going on around you, it will be less likely you'll get out of your pattern. The cumulative effect is very true. I know when I have a day of inactivity and I pay for it, so now I almost never have those days. Now that my energy level is up a bit I try to get to the gym a couple times a week, play some hardcore badminton or made-up-rules racquetball and then hit the weights for 1/2 an hour or so, go home to a shower and feel good for the rest of the evening and the next day. We'll see how this holds up now that the last day of class is over until summer quarter...
post #17 of 27
Thread Starter 
J: Your routine is along the same lines as what I want to get into. What type of protein shakes do you take specifically? Do they taste good, or decent? I use to take MetRx, and it was terrible.
post #18 of 27
I have some stuff called Pro-Rated 100% Whey Protein (vanilla) and my roommate has some EAS "Simply Protein" (chocolate) and both are surprisingly good. They both come in the obscenely large "jar" things. Some really good easy recipes: Put 5-6 ice cubes in the ice crusher (one of those old retro things for making drinks) - grind in the "fine" direction. This way the blender doesn't just chip away at them. If you have a better blender, just toss them in there I guess. Put the crushed ice in the blender along with enough orange juice to cover. Pulse until pretty much evenly broken up. Run on low speed and add more juice, about 12oz total. While running on low speed, pour in 1 to 1-1/2 scoops of Vanilla. Then switch it up to medium high speed and let it go for a while. Tastes like an Orange Julius. You can add a banana, strawberries, or maybe a raw egg if you like. Haven't tried the egg but Orange Julius does it and it was always good. More protein and probably pretty good for you. Next one, same thing except use cranberry juice. Get the 100% "Cranberry" made with grape juice instead of the cocktail crap made with corn syrup and sugar. Instead of vanilla (although that works) use the chocolate kind of powder. Tastes like some Haagen Dazs ice cream or something, really really good. Again you could probably add whatever you have lying around. If you want a lighter one, I use the ice, some cold water and a little pure cranberry juice (it's pretty nasty straight, for mixing and it was hard to find), maybe 2oz. Then add vanilla powder and froth it up as usual. This one is really good when your stomach couldn't handle all the weight and sugar of the other kinds. You could use milk instead but I find it messes up my digestion a bit. They taste fine with the juice.
post #19 of 27
Quote:
I have some stuff called Pro-Rated 100% Whey Protein (vanilla) and my roommate has some EAS "Simply Protein" (chocolate) and both are surprisingly good. They both come in the obscenely large "jar" things. Some really good easy recipes: Put 5-6 ice cubes in the ice crusher (one of those old retro things for making drinks) - grind in the "fine" direction. This way the blender doesn't just chip away at them. If you have a better blender, just toss them in there I guess. Put the crushed ice in the blender along with enough orange juice to cover. Pulse until pretty much evenly broken up. Run on low speed and add more juice, about 12oz total. While running on low speed, pour in 1 to 1-1/2 scoops of Vanilla. Then switch it up to medium high speed and let it go for a while. Tastes like an Orange Julius. You can add a banana, strawberries, or maybe a raw egg if you like. Haven't tried the egg but Orange Julius does it and it was always good. More protein and probably pretty good for you. Next one, same thing except use cranberry juice. Get the 100% "Cranberry" made with grape juice instead of the cocktail crap made with corn syrup and sugar. Instead of vanilla (although that works) use the chocolate kind of powder. Tastes like some Haagen Dazs ice cream or something, really really good. Again you could probably add whatever you have lying around. If you want a lighter one, I use the ice, some cold water and a little pure cranberry juice (it's pretty nasty straight, for mixing and it was hard to find), maybe 2oz. Then add vanilla powder and froth it up as usual. This one is really good when your stomach couldn't handle all the weight and sugar of the other kinds. You could use milk instead but I find it messes up my digestion a bit. They taste fine with the juice.
This is not bad advice but I do it a little different.  I personally take Optimum Nutrition's Whey protein and all I do is put 8 oz of milk in a blender (I use the chocolate powder so it tastes like chocolate milk), start the blender up and pour the powder in as the blender is running (it mixes 1000 times better that way).  Then I stop the blender and toss in about 2-3 ice cubes to smooth the shake out, blend again and you are good to go.  I also would not advocate adding a raw egg either.  That was a decent "macho" type move from back in the day, but the risk vs. return of doing that is NOT worth it.  I will back up j on the fact that the EAS protein is very good and you can get it in a 5 pound tub for around $30.  Both of the proteins mentioned however could be considered "bodybuilder proteins" so I'm not sure if you want to take them (I honestly don't understand your aversion to those, but that's your call).   But if you are not feeling that good overall, watch your sleep patterns, yes, but even more so watch your diet.  As I have mentioned here before your diet will make up about 90% of how you feel and is the most important part of changing your body.  Get that right first and then put the other parts in line and you will have much better success. Feed yourself crap and you will feel like crap. Pretty simple. Kevin
post #20 of 27
Quote:
J:  Your routine is along the same lines as what I want to get into. What type of protein shakes do you take specifically? Do they taste good, or decent? I use to take MetRx, and it was terrible.
I have tried the Met-RX stuff and never liked it. Try the ones j and I mentioned. KEvin
post #21 of 27
WARNING: 1. Don't seek medical advice. Doctors are mainly trained in prescribing drugs not a healthy lifestyle. Writing out perscriptions pays there bills. 2. Don't run until you sort your diet out. Joggers don't fall dead with a heart attack for no reason you know. Remember: america is extremely deficient in the mineral Selenium (the anti heart attack mineral) so the probability of falling dead of a heart attack is higher than what you may want to believe. l used to have cancer, be always tired, ate bad and was 20 stone. Doctors used to give me iron and stuff; all to no avail. YOU HAVE TO CHANGE YOUR LIFESTYLE. (lt will be very hard). Try the following for 3 months before you even consider doing vigorous exercise: *Eat fruit only in the morning if you are not a labourer (oranges and apples). *Eat alfalfa sprouts before each meal. *Eat meat only 3 times a week (lf you really must eat a carcass). *Eat fish twice a week. *Eat broccolli before each meal with the alfalfa sprouts. *Have 8 glasses of water a day (drink before meals). *Try not to eat after 6 at night. *Ditch pizza and fast food as much as possible. *Ditch dairy products all togeather. Dairy will tire you quicker than anything. *Soak 2 cups of whole grain wheat in a 1.5 litre jug of water for 2 days at room temperiture. Empty the water into a bottle [after the two days] and refrigerate. (This is very vital). Drink 3 cups of this wheat water a day. *Take 10 ml of manning clarks colloidal mineral supplement (75 minerals)after tea. *Mix a tablespoon of kelp/seaweed powder in a glass and drink. This is a start for now. This will help but it is up to you now, l've done my bit.
post #22 of 27
Where to start, where to start. First, DO have a thorough medical check-up and explore issues such as endocrine imbalance, cardiac deficiencies, nutritional short-falls, and other possible causes for any changes to baseline. While some physicians may be in pursuit only of wealth, the vast majority care enormously about improving the health and well-being of their patients. Second, there is little evidence that Americans, more or less so than any other group suffer from a selenium deficiency or that such deficiency is a cause of heart attacks. Third, a program of moderate execise (incuding both cardio and weight training) ought to be undertaken only after clearance by a physician. Any effective program will involve exercise, appropriate diet, and rest. Finally, there is little reason (if any) to believe that the long-list of nutritional dos and don'ts offered has any scientific validity. For example, fruit only in the a.m., where is the scientific support for this proposal?
post #23 of 27
There is ample proof that the soils are deficient in selenium. FACT = Plants absorb minerals from the soil. lf the soil is deficient in minerals, the food will be deficient in vitamins and minerals. This leads too premature hunger pains and a further desire to eat. Thats why 60% of Americans are over weight and are one of the most unheathy civilized nations on earth. You eat too much food with very little nutritional value. You are starving folks. There is also ample evidence to suggest that selenium stops heart attacks in men with fat free arteries. Just ask twice nobel prize nominated Joel Wallach (work with selenium in treating and halting human disease). Eat fruit for breakfast for 1 month and see how good you feel. Proof, proof, proof. l urge you to give it a try and see who is right. l am not going to argue: just give it a try. Your body will know. P.S: medical students get an average of 5 hours nutritional training in there 5 year coarse. By the way, the nutritional lectures are optional.
post #24 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Try the following for 3 months before you even consider doing vigorous exercise: *Eat fruit only in the morning if you are not a labourer (oranges and apples). *Eat alfalfa sprouts before each meal. *Eat meat only 3 times a week (lf you really must eat a carcass). *Eat fish twice a week. *Eat broccolli before each meal with the alfalfa sprouts. *Have 8 glasses of water a day (drink before meals). *Try not to eat after 6 at night. *Ditch pizza and fast food as much as possible. *Ditch dairy products all togeather. Dairy will tire you quicker than anything. *Soak 2 cups of whole grain wheat in a 1.5 litre jug of water for 2 days at room temperiture. Empty the water into a bottle [after the two days] and refrigerate. (This is very vital). Drink 3 cups of this wheat water a day. *Take 10 ml of manning clarks colloidal mineral supplement (75 minerals)after tea. *Mix a tablespoon of kelp/seaweed powder in a glass and drink.
This is crazy. Who eats like this? 3 cups of water wheat, what is this stuff? Plus seaweed power? I'd rather be a fat ass than follow this inane diet.
post #25 of 27
Seaweed powder = seaweed power. Not many people eat like this, but the ones who do are never sick, never get colds, need 2 hours sleep each night, look younger than their age and have lots of energy do this. Ann Wigmore = 93 years old in that picture. No grey hair, slept 3 hours a night, hardly any wrinkles, the agility of a 10 year old, no disease. She originally had cancer at 35 years old, grey hair, wrinkles and was told she would die young. Ann Wigmore was born sick and diseased: her future was bleak (like how mine was, but worse). She was going strongly at 93 but died in a fire while sleeping: she was such an example of health. She had great health at 93 and was an example of how sick people can be completely regenerated. A complete inspiration. lf you don't believe me, study Dr Wigmores works. She and Dr Kulvinskas are the two most knowledgable health people on earth: no one in history has had their success in helping people overcome disease. (They are not salespeople: they don't sell company manufactured supplements). They are for real. Try to understand everyone: chlorophyl and live foods kill disease and regenerate everyone.
post #26 of 27
I heard she has facial reconstructive surgery every three years, was born in a mental institution and sleeps only one hour a night.
post #27 of 27
I gained 25 lbs (129 to 154; I'm 6'0") back in 1998 from lifting weights and taking EAS supplements through one of their "Challenges". Hard work and their products worked well for me in reaching my goals. Now if I could only get my lazy ass back in the gym in 2004...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › I feel like a mess, help me out