or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Simone Abbarchi shirts - Florence
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Simone Abbarchi shirts - Florence

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Anyone have any personal experience with this shirtmaker? I have seen him listed in Flusser and several other places but would like more information.

I believe his shirts are made to measure, not bespoke, and that his shop is also called "Bottega delle Antiche Terme."
post #2 of 17
Thread Starter 
Anyone?
post #3 of 17
Yes, I have. In Florence two years ago, I stopped in sensa appointment and ordered
one shirt as a trial. You are correct, more MTM - try on a smock, etc. but a good degree
of choice as to details that I was not able to get with Individualized Shirts here. Edge
stitching, smooth front, choice of rear pleats, etc etc and many collar choices.

Simone comes to NY a couple times a year, and I ordered three more, making a few
adjustments to style and fit. I tweaked the collar spread a bit, and the point length...I don't think
these changes went all the way to another collar type, yet the adjustments were made. The only downside to this is I swear he has a lot more
fabrics in Florence than he brings to NY.

The shirts are rather slim fitting (I asked for them that way) but on the next order will
ask for a bit more room.

I am not an expert on construction but the shirts seem to be well made - so far.

He also makes ties and suits, neither of which I've tried.
post #4 of 17
Full disclosure: Koji suggested a shirtmaker on this street in Florence a couple years ago,
though couldn't quite place the name. I asked locally, a shopkeeper mentioned Simone
at this address...things clicked. So thanks, Koji.

Re: MTM vs bespoke - we're making small adjustments now, in things like the fullness of
the sleeve, which I haven't been able to do with other MTM programs, so based on my
experience this is a bit more than MTM.

BTW, it seems Simone has brought a few new books with him this trip to NY; I just returned from
seeing him and ordering three more.
post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the info, jekv12.

I actually ordered a couple of shirts from Leonardo Bugelli when I was in Florence a few weeks ago, since I was able to find more information on him than Abbarchi and the reviews were unanimously positive.

I am expecting my first shirt from Leonardo any day now and I will post a full review after I have had a chance to try it on.
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekv12 View Post
Yes, I have. In Florence two years ago, I stopped in sensa appointment and ordered
one shirt as a trial. You are correct, more MTM - try on a smock, etc. but a good degree
of choice as to details that I was not able to get with Individualized Shirts here. Edge
stitching, smooth front, choice of rear pleats, etc etc and many collar choices.

Simone comes to NY a couple times a year, and I ordered three more, making a few
adjustments to style and fit. I tweaked the collar spread a bit, and the point length...I don't think
these changes went all the way to another collar type, yet the adjustments were made. The only downside to this is I swear he has a lot more
fabrics in Florence than he brings to NY.

The shirts are rather slim fitting (I asked for them that way) but on the next order will
ask for a bit more room.

I am not an expert on construction but the shirts seem to be well made - so far.

He also makes ties and suits, neither of which I've tried.
Just so happens that Simone is in NYC this week through Sun. at the Hotel Michelangelo. I've found his shirts to be a good value and he has a number of high end fabrics. I do agree however that the shirts are slim fitting and I would specify a bit of extra room for comfort.
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekv12 View Post
Full disclosure: Koji suggested a shirtmaker on this street in Florence a couple years ago,
though couldn't quite place the name. I asked locally, a shopkeeper mentioned Simone
at this address...things clicked. So thanks, Koji.

Re: MTM vs bespoke - we're making small adjustments now, in things like the fullness of
the sleeve, which I haven't been able to do with other MTM programs, so based on my
experience this is a bit more than MTM.

BTW, it seems Simone has brought a few new books with him this trip to NY; I just returned from
seeing him and ordering three more.

Glad it worked out!

koji
post #8 of 17
How much does Simone charge for shirts made with basic fabric (2x2 100-120s)?

Thanks - Panzer
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce330 View Post
I am expecting my first shirt from Leonardo any day now and I will post a full review after I have had a chance to try it on.

bryce330 -

Have you received the Bugelli shirt? I'm traveling to Florence this summer, and may try to visit Mr. Bugelli. I'm curious to hear more of your experience with him.

Thank you.
post #10 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolls View Post
bryce330 -

Have you received the Bugelli shirt? I'm traveling to Florence this summer, and may try to visit Mr. Bugelli. I'm curious to hear more of your experience with him.

Thank you.

Yes, I received the first shirt a few weeks ago and the collar was a little off, so I sent him an e-mail with pictures of how I wanted the collar - I received the other three shirts about a week ago and they are just about perfect. I have been meaning to post a full report with pics and I will try to do it by the end of this week. I would definitely recommend a visit while you are in Florence.
post #11 of 17
anyone know what months he comes to NYC?
post #12 of 17
bryce - thanks for the update, can't wait to see the full report. My stop in Florence still isn't set in stone yet, but I'm pushing for it - crossing my fingers.
post #13 of 17
Simone is my shirtmaker for the last 10 years
I think he is brilliant. The fabrics he uses are second to none (Zegna mostly)
The best part is that his drive for internet sales is non-existent which gives him a kind of laggard charm I appreciate.
Simone is like a boutique wine chateau. I once asked him to make a suit, but there he lacks the experience of the Napoli guys. In shirts however he is the king of Florence.
post #14 of 17
I met with Simone this morning in NYC to get fitted for shirts, amazing service!
post #15 of 17
Ordered a shirt 2 weeks ago when I was in Florence. The shirt will be sent over to me by mid September due vacation. I have ordered Thomas Mason fabric, choice was more than abundant. Looking forward receiving the shirt, upon which will post some pics.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Simone Abbarchi shirts - Florence