or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Question about a navy grenadine tie
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Question about a navy grenadine tie

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
Hi guys,

Getting ready to order my first navy grenadine tie. Since I think its going to be a staple, I wanted to get it right.

I am thinking about ordering from Sam Hober. David has been amazing, explaining to me my different options. I was initially thinking of a 7 fold unlined tie however David suggested I go with a 6 fold lined tie.
I wanted to see if anyone had any opinions.

Also, I will be paying approximately $120 + shipping I believe for the tie. I know that I saw a Drakes navy grenadine for $150 and I know that pants has them for around the same price. Any thoughts?

Look forward to hearing from you all. David has been great so I will likely order some ties from him but I wanted to get this first one right.

-Shaun
post #2 of 28
Thread Starter 
I forgot...I am also considering Henry Carter. Jason has also been very helpful.
post #3 of 28
I can only comment on David's ties, but my lined 6 fold navy fina has been a workhorse since I bought it.
post #4 of 28
Thread Starter 
Thanks. Do you have any photos by any chance?
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by iatrogenic View Post

Thanks. Do you have any photos by any chance?

Unfortunately, after an encounter with a leaky pizza box, it's packed up to be shipped to Tie Crafters for cleaning.
post #6 of 28
Iatrogenic,

I think that you are leaving something important out of the equation:

Our Sam Hober ties are custom made which means that we make our ties very slowly and carefully - you won't find this in ready made ties.

You will find luxury fabrics but not the same construction quality.

Also a $150 grenadine from Drakes will typically be a 3-fold not a 6-fold.

Also our 4-fold ties have exactly the same construction quality as our 6-folds - you may want to consider a 4-fold at $80 unless you know already that you prefer teh heavier feeling/drape of a 6-fold - which is a nice luxury but needed.
post #7 of 28
You have Hober, Panta and Vanda-all will better quality (IMHO) than the Drake's
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyasih View Post

You have Hober, Panta and Vanda-all will better quality (IMHO) than the Drake's

wut?
post #9 of 28
lurker[1].gif
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Corbera View Post

wut?

What part didn't you understand?? I know I forgot to add "be" between will and better. OP started with Hober and then added Henry Carter, so I gave him other suggestions.

So, is your confusion with the additional suggestions or the comment on quality? Would you like to add "for the price"?
post #11 of 28
Thread Starter 
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the great feedback. Probably going to get a tie from both Hober and Henry Carter because both have been very helpful. Also look forward to trying out the other brands in the future.

-Shaun
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyasih View Post

You have Hober, Panta and Vanda-all will better quality (IMHO) than the Drake's

 

While I haven't had the privilege of handling Hober, Panta & Vanda, I am tired of people calling Drake's a rip-off shop. There are far more expensive ties out there than Drake's (Isaia, Kiton, Ricci, Brioni to name a few).

 

Also, Hober operates out of the far east where everything is considerably cheaper, even though he always protests otherwise. Panta ain't so cheap. Vanda is a tiny operation and ain't so cheap either.

 

Drake's has plenty of options that aren't offered by any other tie manufacturer. (Shantung, novelty pocket squares etc...)

post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmith View Post

While I haven't had the privilege of handling Hober, Panta & Vanda, I am tired of people calling Drake's a rip-off shop. There are far more expensive ties out there than Drake's (Isaia, Kiton, Ricci, Brioni to name a few).

Also, Hober operates out of the far east where everything is considerably cheaper, even though he always protests otherwise. Panta ain't so cheap. Vanda is a tiny operation and ain't so cheap either.

Drake's has plenty of options that aren't offered by any other tie manufacturer. (Shantung, novelty pocket squares etc...)

I appreciate the comment dave. I didn't call Drake's a rip-off. Out of the all the ties I have, I believe Drake's dominate my collection. Your comment provides a little more content than a blanket "wut." OP asked for opinions, my comment wasn't a condemnation of Drake's I love their stuff compared to many of the more expensive options.
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyasih View Post

I appreciate the comment dave. I didn't call Drake's a rip-off. Out of the all the ties I have, I believe Drake's dominate my collection. Your comment provides a little more content than a blanket "wut." OP asked for opinions, my comment wasn't a condemnation of Drake's I love their stuff compared to many of the more expensive options.

 

I understand that you like Drake's and I wasn't attacking you. 

 

There is another thread on the go at the moment about a guy that wants to go into the tie business and asked what price he should sell them at, he doesn't realize half the things that he has to factor into that cost. 

 

I am 100% sure that Drake's pays far more in bills and manpower than Hober, London is incredibly expensive, especially where Drake's is located and as I said before Panta and Vanda aren't cheap options either. 

 

 

(I could be talking rubbish now, but IMHO, luxury brands charge what they do for exclusivity, in certain cases they could cost the same amount to produce as other manufacturers but they charge more to establish their brand as targeting a certain clientele. To call your brand luxury and charge $15 a tie, no-one will take you seriously.)

 

 

Edit: If F. Corbera wanted he could transform that "wut?" into a informative post that would blow me out of the water, until he does, I'll take that as a compliment! Thanks!

post #15 of 28
Great. fistbump.gif I just didn't want this to turn into something else. I am sure that F. Corbera knows more about ties than me. But, more insight would have guided my response and it wasn't an attack on him either. IMHO (In My Humble Opinion).

Now we can go back to assisting the OP-sorry to thread jack.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Question about a navy grenadine tie