or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Vans
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vans - Page 2

post #16 of 39
The Ramones and the Replacements would like a word with y'all about that "Chucks are West Coast" thing.
post #17 of 39
Chucks as a west coast thing? Put down the crack pipe and walk away from the computer; chucks have been the official shoes of teenage rebels on the east coast forever.
post #18 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I've worn out over 50+ pairs of Chucks in all the 20 odd years that I've worn them, so thanks for the props Jet. And yes, they are a Cali thing, sort of like Tims are an East Coast thing, although they didn't originate there. Vans roots, however, are solidly west coast.

Dre, in the immortal "California Love" even mentions them:

"...In L.A. we wearin Chucks not Ballies (that's right)..."

That's actually pac but thanks Fok haha I sent you pm.

Max STFU.
post #19 of 39
Oh, shit, of course it's Pac. Dre beats though, right? That always confused me, for some reason. Great West Coast anthem in any case.
post #20 of 39
Either way, east coast fashion beats west coast fashion like the LAPD beat rodney king.
post #21 of 39
I apologize for hijacking the thread. Is there a "Can you Identify This?" thread which would be more appropriate?

I saw this photo of John Frusciante and noted the kicks:



Looks to be suede. White outer sole, diamond pattern tread. The tongue may be suede or corduroy. Tongue doesn't have a tag. I did a little-more-than cursory search, thought perhaps they might be Puma The Suede. There was another candidate, but I forget its brand at the moment. However, both were missing something. Hence, this post. Anyone care to venture a guess?
post #22 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
Either way, east coast fashion beats west coast fashion like the LAPD beat rodney king.

Meh, there are good and bad things from both coasts. I'm going to focus on the negative, just because I'm that way:

LA: Douchebags wearing jeans with sandals, a leather bomber, too much hair product, and sunglasses on top of their heads, getting too much sun and probably could spend less time building up the guns. Wears: True Religion Joeys, Chrome Hearts accessories, Prada. Needs: my foot up their collective asses. I deputize Rye.

New York: Trust fund LES douche babies wearing too much black and not getting enough exercise or sun - wears Cloak, vintage Helmut Lang to keep it real, and $2K Carpe Diem shitkickers. Needs: Much more fit Angelenos feet up their collective asses. I deputize Sauce to bring them some Philly Love (tm).
post #23 of 39
Not to mention the East Coast motherfuckers with their goddamn doubled-up polos (both collars popped--because just one isn't DOUCHE-FUCKING-TASTIC enough) and general air of smug "I spent the day at the boathouse" entitlement.

I accept your deputizing, LA Guy, if only because you quoted Caaaaaalifornia Loooove.
post #24 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
Either way, east coast fashion beats west coast fashion like the LAPD beat rodney king.

Certainly not your style.

Fok dre beats yes sir and we got supersauce holdin it down in the illadelphia.
post #25 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy
New York: Trust fund LES douche babies wearing too much black and not getting enough exercise or sun - wears Cloak, vintage Helmut Lang to keep it real, and $2K Carpe Diem shitkickers.
I'll stop exercising and sit still for an ass-whipping in exchange for the clothes.

Srsly, I grew up in Florida and now live in West Virginia. Y'all don't even know about bad fashion.
post #26 of 39
I like the Chukka's. With vans there are soo many choices. IMO the Vansx W)taps are sweet! but not sure how many others here would like them..
post #27 of 39
I dig the gray or brown solid slip-ons with raw denim, but the classic lace-ups are good, too. Not a big fan of the skate-hi "spicoli" model.

FWIW, I grew up at the beach in Socal and have had Vans forever. They were pretty much based on the old Sperry deck shoe which came in navy, white or maroon. Those where so cool. Had a few as a little kid. I think they stopped making them (the right way) in the 80s. Growing up I don't think I ever saw anyone wearing Chucks except on my Ramones LPs.
post #28 of 39
The Era is my favorite Vans shoe. Black/Pewter
post #29 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakseam
I apologize for hijacking the thread. Is there a "Can you Identify This?" thread which would be more appropriate?

I saw this photo of John Frusciante and noted the kicks:



Looks to be suede. White outer sole, diamond pattern tread. The tongue may be suede or corduroy. Tongue doesn't have a tag. I did a little-more-than cursory search, thought perhaps they might be Puma The Suede. There was another candidate, but I forget its brand at the moment. However, both were missing something. Hence, this post. Anyone care to venture a guess?

Those look like Pumas to me. As for which Vans to get, I would get the slip ons if your jeans are slim fitting. If you wear them with baggy jeans, the hems will certainly drag behind your feet.
post #30 of 39
West Coast rap will never amount to the east. sage francis. thats all i have to say.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Vans