or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Maomao x Gaz Italian Sartorial Adventure 2012
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Maomao x Gaz Italian Sartorial Adventure 2012 - Page 7

post #91 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Corbera View Post

I guess that I'm old enough not to make a direct association between heartiness in a fabric with reduced formality. A lot of old city and formal cloth were monsters, neither smooth nor light. It could be an age thing, though.

Perhaps, but my heaviest suits/jackets are my favorites. All of the lightweight stuff just seems flimsy.
post #92 of 208
..
Edited by Montesquieu - 6/29/12 at 9:00pm
post #93 of 208
I still don't get all the secret club nonsense. What if someone here loves what they see? Can they PM you about the tailor, or do they need a special password first? Is the password "5cm"?
post #94 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post

I still don't get all the secret club nonsense. What if someone here loves what they see? Can they PM you about the tailor, or do they need a special password first? Is the password "5cm"?

I know who it is. Its Mr.Sam.
post #95 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post

I still don't get all the secret club nonsense. What if someone here loves what they see? Can they PM you about the tailor, or do they need a special password first? Is the password "5cm"?


if he gets too much exposure, he gets too many clients, so he has to raise prices and getting an appointment will be harder. so why would you do that to yourself?

post #96 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapeyron View Post


if he gets too much exposure, he gets too many clients, so he has to raise prices and getting an appointment will be harder. so why would you do that to yourself?

I understand that argument but I thought the reason this forum exists is we can share experiences, information, and knowledge with each other about sartorial related matters.

-LR
post #97 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljrcustom View Post

I understand that argument but I thought the reason this forum exists is we can share experiences, information, and knowledge with each other about sartorial related matters.
-LR

Have you read this thread? That is exactly what they are doing.
post #98 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

Have you read this thread? That is exactly what they are doing.

yes, I have read the entire thread, and I obviously see what they are doing. I was just making a comment, and I think its funny how secretive people can be about disclosing the name of their tailor. If the tailor specifically asks you not to tell people that you use that is one thing, (which is what was mentioned earlier in the thread by the OP) but if its just because you want to keep all to yourself, I find that childish.

-LR
post #99 of 208
I can't recall a single example of someone not disclosing the identity of a tailor because of a desire to "keep it all to" himself.

Most situations sem to be related either (a) a desire to shield the tailor from some of the absurd consequences of Internet forum exposure or (b) a desire to shield oneself. Those are both legitimate reasons.

Frankly, only a handful of SF members seem capable of sharing interesting new content about classic style. It is far more typical for posts to be leaching, withering, mercantile, or idiotic.
post #100 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Corbera View Post

I can't recall a single example of someone not disclosing the identity of a tailor because of a desire to "keep it all to" himself.
Most situations sem to be related either (a) a desire to shield the tailor from some of the absurd consequences of Internet forum exposure or (b) a desire to shield oneself. Those are both legitimate reasons.
Frankly, only a handful of SF members seem capable of sharing interesting new content about classic style. It is far more typical for posts to be leaching, withering, mercantile, or idiotic.

Bill, most people on this forum do not have the means to find and pay for new tailors.

Those who want to learn should be able to... I've tried various artisans after learning about them on the forum. That's the point of SF, isn't it?
post #101 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post

Those who want to learn should be able to... I've tried various artisans after learning about them on the forum. That's the point of SF, isn't it?

I'd like to think that StyleForum is more than just a vehicle to assist people with their shopping.

People protect the names of their tailors for different reasons. As Vox alluded to, some people on the internet can be quite unpleasant, and not revealing names can be a way of protecting tailors from overly eager or demanding forum members. I also know a few tailors who are genuinely not looking for new clients, and wouldn't want their services publicized. They serve their current clientele happily and only accept people who have been introduced to them through trusted sources.

And let's not overstate the situation. The majority of this forum and others are dedicated to helping people learn about artisans around the world. Only a few choose to not reveal their sources. Is that so bad?

Either way, it's nice to see threads like this, regardless of whether the OPs decide to reveal their tailors. I wish there were more of these kinds of posts.
post #102 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

Either way, it's nice to see threads like this, regardless of whether the OPs decide to reveal their tailors. I wish there were more of these kinds of posts.

 

agree 100%

post #103 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley View Post

Well, its hardly a mathematical treatise and nothing more than personal opinion (one that I think / hope is shared by a few others). I think a vest, inherently a formal garment, does not lend itself well to a plain porous weave like Fresco, which has always struck me as a more casual / rustic fabric.

interesting pov. do not share...
post #104 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Corbera View Post

I can't recall a single example of someone not disclosing the identity of a tailor because of a desire to "keep it all to" himself.
Most situations sem to be related either (a) a desire to shield the tailor from some of the absurd consequences of Internet forum exposure or (b) a desire to shield oneself. Those are both legitimate reasons.
Frankly, only a handful of SF members seem capable of sharing interesting new content about classic style. It is far more typical for posts to be leaching, withering, mercantile, or idiotic.


I understand your point and I am well aware of the fact that unfortunately there aren’t nearly as many active members who are "capable of sharing interesting content about classic style" I wish this wasn’t case, because I once found SF to be a much more interesting and engaging place.

I misspoke when I said “keep it all to himself.” I just find it frustrating sometimes when I see these posts of beautifully made bespoke clothing from tailors that I would be very interested in trying yet cannot because they are not named. I understand and respect it if a tailor specifically ask his clients not to share his name, but I have seen situations in the past when this reason is not mentioned. I for one have the means and the genuine interest to try these tailors and I would only ask questions about them with the genuine intent of using their services. At the same time I am very thankful to those who have posted or shared with me the tailors and artisans that they have used.

-LR
Edited by ljrcustom - 7/3/12 at 8:19pm
post #105 of 208
"Can you tell me who is your tailor?"

"It depends. I can't discuss that at this time."

"Depends on what?"

"I can't discuss that at this time."

"Well I want this jacket in this color by this tailor."

"I have to check with Naples. In the meantime, can I interest you in these other tailors we have here?"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Maomao x Gaz Italian Sartorial Adventure 2012