or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Looking for advice from Porsche owners...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for advice from Porsche owners... - Page 4

post #46 of 129
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoluxo View Post

I love my '02 XKR. It is a substantial car, but with 370 HP it will move down the road with ease. The plastic part mentioned in a previous thread is the cam chain tensioner. It was plastic up until mid-2001 when it was changed to metal.
350.

great looking car. anything i should be looking out for?
post #47 of 129
i love the NEW model XK that looks like an aston martin vantage
the older one looks like a boat lol
but each to their own...

within your price range if you wants a sports car convertible... get a bmw z4
post #48 of 129
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior varsity View Post

i love the NEW model XK that looks like an aston martin vantage
the older one looks like a boat lol
but each to their own...
within your price range if you wants a sports car convertible... get a bmw z4

actually, i prefer the older body style to the new one. strange i know. as for teh z4...not a fan at all. For a sports car convertible, im going with a porsche or an s2000. when i go for one, it will be a newer porsche.

appreciate your input JV. fistbump.gif
post #49 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post

actually, i prefer the older body style to the new one. strange i know. as for teh z4...not a fan at all. For a sports car convertible, im going with a porsche or an s2000. when i go for one, it will be a newer porsche.
appreciate your input JV. fistbump.gif

I hate how jags even the type-R models only come in slush box (for USDM at least)
thats one thing thats steered me away from AMG for years (until recently they got MCT)
post #50 of 129
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior varsity View Post

I hate how jags even the type-R models only come in slush box (for USDM at least)
thats one thing thats steered me away from AMG for years (until recently they got MCT)

i do agree. a manual would be a blast to drive.
post #51 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post

great looking car. anything i should be looking out for?

The good thing about these car is that the reputation of dodgy quality follows them even though they really cleaned up their act when Ford bought them. Now their quality and customer satisfaction is in line with any of the other luxury brands. The upside is that the cars get hit with heavy depreciation so you can pick one up for a song.

The X100 body style which is what I have was available from 1996 - 2006 and in two configurations - the XK8 has a normally aspirated engine, and the XKR has a supercharged engine. If you like this body style you should try to get one manufactured after Sep 2001 (engine made after mid-Aug 2001). It was at this time that they replaced plastic cam belt tensioners which had a tendency to fail with metal tensioners. Naturally, not all of them failed, but if they did...ouch.

In the 2003MY they replaced the 4.0L engine a 4.2L engine. The supercharged versions went from 370 hp to 390 hp. The bump in hp is nice, but I would be quite happy with any of the X100 cars made after Sep 2001 which includes most of the 2002 models.

In 2007, the X100 style was replaced by the X150 style. This has more of an Aston Martin look. I think both look great.

You can learn all you want to about Jags at

Let me know if you are really interested in the XK8 or XKR. There is a guy on the Jag forum that is pretty good at hunting down Jags in good condition at a very nice price.

BTW, when I bought the XKR I was in the market for a 911 Cab. My GF's car blew up and I had to get her something. She needed something with a trunk. I wanted something, well I wanted a 911. The XKR has pretty much curbed the burn for a 911, and it has a very usable trunk. The XKR convertible is not for the track (no roll bar), but it is great for very spirited driving with the top down.
post #52 of 129
Let's try again with the link:

Jag Forums
post #53 of 129
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoluxo View Post

The good thing about these car is that the reputation of dodgy quality follows them even though they really cleaned up their act when Ford bought them. Now their quality and customer satisfaction is in line with any of the other luxury brands. The upside is that the cars get hit with heavy depreciation so you can pick one up for a song.
The X100 body style which is what I have was available from 1996 - 2006 and in two configurations - the XK8 has a normally aspirated engine, and the XKR has a supercharged engine. If you like this body style you should try to get one manufactured after Sep 2001 (engine made after mid-Aug 2001). It was at this time that they replaced plastic cam belt tensioners which had a tendency to fail with metal tensioners. Naturally, not all of them failed, but if they did...ouch.
In the 2003MY they replaced the 4.0L engine a 4.2L engine. The supercharged versions went from 370 hp to 390 hp. The bump in hp is nice, but I would be quite happy with any of the X100 cars made after Sep 2001 which includes most of the 2002 models.
In 2007, the X100 style was replaced by the X150 style. This has more of an Aston Martin look. I think both look great.
You can learn all you want to about Jags at
Let me know if you are really interested in the XK8 or XKR. There is a guy on the Jag forum that is pretty good at hunting down Jags in good condition at a very nice price.
BTW, when I bought the XKR I was in the market for a 911 Cab. My GF's car blew up and I had to get her something. She needed something with a trunk. I wanted something, well I wanted a 911. The XKR has pretty much curbed the burn for a 911, and it has a very usable trunk. The XKR convertible is not for the track (no roll bar), but it is great for very spirited driving with the top down.

thanks so much! i just got off the phone with my dealer and had him mark it as sold...ill be in within a couple days to sign the papers. its a 2003, so i dont have to worry about the plastic tensioner. the model im getting is a hardtop...i thought id enjoy a convertible, but as anal as i am with my hair, it aint gonna fit me hahaha.as much as id like the xkr, the power the xk8 had was more than ample enough for me. Its a HUGE change from my lexus ES. very excited to get behind the wheel of it this week.
post #54 of 129
well congrats! post pics in the cars thread when you get it

this thread kind of took a turn towards the unexpected because you ended up with a car that is very different from the Boxster - but if you are looking for a comfortable cruiser with a great interior that can haul if you want it to (but isn't necessarily a demon in the corners), then the Jag isn't a bad choice. you sure you couldn't stretch that budget to fit an XK-R, though? devil.gif
post #55 of 129
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

well congrats! post pics in the cars thread when you get it
this thread kind of took a turn towards the unexpected because you ended up with a car that is very different from the Boxster - but if you are looking for a comfortable cruiser with a great interior that can haul if you want it to (but isn't necessarily a demon in the corners), then the Jag isn't a bad choice. you sure you couldn't stretch that budget to fit an XK-R, though? devil.gif

pics will definitely be forthcoming. unfortunately, teh monies is already stretched. i wanna be able to keep enough money to keep buying shoes and other fun stuff too.
post #56 of 129
I think the XK can be both fashion and fun.
post #57 of 129
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtS90 View Post

I think the XK can be both fashion and fun.

i hope so. really hope its a good car. ive been lucky in the past.
post #58 of 129
I love the XK8 too, it's still great looking after all these years... but I wouldn't say the same for the Boxster. What year is the Jag?
post #59 of 129
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post

I love the XK8 too, it's still great looking after all these years... but I wouldn't say the same for the Boxster. What year is the Jag?

its a 2004. had it been any other color combo, i wouldnt have been SO dead set on it...but its perfect for me. black outside, dove grey inside. inlove.gif ill post some pics tomorrow for sure.
post #60 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtS90 View Post

I think the XK can be both fashion and fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post

i hope so. really hope its a good car. ive been lucky in the past.
This car will keep you looking fashionable or stylish while you have fun, and lots of it. Good choice! It's a car that'll continue to look good through the years. Enjoy!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Looking for advice from Porsche owners...