or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Dry Cleaner Pressed Cappelli Tie
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dry Cleaner Pressed Cappelli Tie - Page 2

post #16 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post

Uses for a spent Cappelli tie?

Silk ties make great 'tie offs' for your bedpost. shog[1].gif
post #17 of 34
Take this for what it's worth to you.

My experiment in resolving this issue was to slide a wooden dowel rod of a radius complimentary to the width of the tie inside the length of the tie blade centering the edge crease on the dowel. Then I applied an iron to the length pressing out the crease and restoring a rounded edge. I repeated the treatment a few days later after the silk had time to rest. On the particular tie I treated it responded quite well. Sorry, I don't remember the maker of the tie. Some will probably swear that this won't work with a Cappelli tie- and for all I know they may be right. But I throw it out for your collective appraisal.
post #18 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalant View Post

Take this for what it's worth to you.
My experiment in resolving this issue was to slide a wooden dowel rod of a radius complimentary to the width of the tie inside the length of the tie blade centering the edge crease on the dowel. Then I applied an iron to the length pressing out the crease and restoring a rounded edge. I repeated the treatment a few days later after the silk had time to rest. On the particular tie I treated it responded quite well. Sorry, I don't remember the maker of the tie. Some will probably swear that this won't work with a Cappelli tie- and for all I know they may be right. But I throw it out for your collective appraisal.

Sounds interesting.

A FUBAR'ed Cappelli tie sounds like the right test subject.... all these claims of superior silk material and superior construction will now be truly tested.

We shall see
post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post

Uses for a spent Cappelli tie?

Cut it up for a pocketsquare.

Use it as a belt/sash........so sprezz fing02[1].gif
post #20 of 34
I don't see why everyone's writing off the tie. Simply unpick the slip stitch and tacks (and the rolled tips, if they're ruined too), press the whole piece of silk flat, and then resew it back together. I've done this a few times on filthy ties that needed cleaning and replacement lining.
post #21 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_44106 View Post

Try TieCrafters in NYC.
They might be able to salvage this mess

+1 on TieCrafters.
post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs232 View Post

I don't see why everyone's writing off the tie. Simply unpick the slip stitch and tacks (and the rolled tips, if they're ruined too), press the whole piece of silk flat, and then resew it back together. I've done this a few times on filthy ties that needed cleaning and replacement lining.

I don't know what the OP's skill set is like, but I for one don't even hem my own pants, so unfortunately rebuilding a tie is beyond me. However, it would be an interesting process to see.

I will say that I'd like to learn basic sewing techniques and I've considered picking up a machine on the cheap to practice.
post #23 of 34

I think this presents us with the opportunity for DIY thread. We'll call it "The Rebirth"

post #24 of 34

Tiecrafters did a fantastic job for me.

post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmith View Post

I think this presents us with the opportunity for DIY thread. We'll call it "The Rebirth"

Paging NOBD
post #26 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdot View Post

Silk ties make great 'tie offs' for your bedpost. shog[1].gif

My ex girlfriend thought they made, um, excellent vision blockers.
post #27 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Corbera View Post

OJFC, just get a new tie.

Some people get attached to their ties kind of the way General MacArthur felt about his worn
out cap:



http://www.google.com/imgres?q=general+MacArthur%27s+hat&um=1&hl=en&client=safari&sa=N&rls=en&biw=1528&bih=810&tbm=isch&tbnid=EvwwzkxIuJHX6M:&i
post #28 of 34
jennifer-aniston-gq-tie.jpg
post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post

Paging IROH

 

FTFY

post #30 of 34

There once were a few ties I was very fond of, for sentimental reasons. As they eventually got dirty, I gave them in for dry-cleaning. Each time I was very disappointed with the result, so had to throw them away anyway. Nowadays, after those early attempts, I save myself the false hope and just buy a nice new tie instead. Ties are essentially disposable items: once they get stained, bin them and treat yourself to a new one. Don't get me wrong, I hate spending money I don't need to, but with ties I think the need is there.

 

I suppose service like tiecrafters can theoretically clean and effectively remake your tie. But at that stage, wouldn't you just prefer a new one anyway? It's probably not even all that much more, if you take shipping into account. If it's a real sentimental favourite, it's a more understandable service though.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Dry Cleaner Pressed Cappelli Tie