or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Advice on shoes to add to collection
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Advice on shoes to add to collection

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
I'm seeking advice on the next couple pairs of shoes I should add to my collection below. My workplace is truly casual (some even wear shorts in the summer), so I am at the upper end of formality if I wear chinos and a dress shirt, which is what I usually wear (or jeans). I do wear suits and sport coats occasionally outside of work, though I think for now I am covered for wear with suits. Obviously, big gaps in my collection are bluchers and loafers, and brown and burgundy calf or cordovan. I recently acquired and still haven't worn the Neumoks and Amoks, which I realize are perhaps not as essential at the moment. However, they were both good deals and fit well. Anyway, the styles I am considering are penny loafers, plain toe bluchers, longwing bluchers, and split toe bluchers, but please advise.

261

Left to Right
  • AE Neumok in snuff suede: Haven't worn these yet, but I really like them and they are very comfortable. I was initially worried that they were too close to the Strands, but I think they are sufficiently different.
  • AE Strand in walnut calf: Don't have the guts yet to wear to work, which is a shame, because they are my favorite pair and fit perfectly. Have been great for wear with light colored suits and chinos.
  • AE Park Avenue in black calf: Have served me well for my wedding and a bunch of interviews.



312

Left to Right
  • AE Amok in chocolate suede: Would've preferred a dainite sole, but they were cheap ($99) and look good in my opinion. Haven't worn yet.
  • Chippewa Katahdin: Have been great winter boots.
  • Sperry Top-Sider: Wear these on the weekends, and yes, even to work.

I also have a really crappy pair of boots I wear in the snow, and a pair of tassel loafers that I am going to get rid of soon, so I didn't bother including them.
Edited by Papa Doble - 5/15/12 at 10:00am
post #2 of 26
AE Delray in brown might be a good option since you don't have a dark brown calf blucher.
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF1208_1_40000000001_-1
or maybe the Kenilworth:
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF8005_1_40000000001_-1

Do you wear loafers often? If you do, maybe consider a pair, but honestly my loafers mostly just sit in the closet. The Delray and Kenilworth would be very functional, attractive shoes that won't draw too much attention to themselves (since you're afraid to wear your Strands). I have a pair of Delrays and I wear them often. BTW, AE is having a Memorial Day sale starting today on all factory 2nd and closeout shoes. Just email the AE Shoebank and ask what they have in your size.
Fred
post #3 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred G. Unn View Post

AE Delray in brown might be a good option since you don't have a dark brown calf blucher.
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF1208_1_40000000001_-1
or maybe the Kenilworth:
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF8005_1_40000000001_-1
Do you wear loafers often? If you do, maybe consider a pair, but honestly my loafers mostly just sit in the closet. The Delray and Kenilworth would be very functional, attractive shoes that won't draw too much attention to themselves (since you're afraid to wear your Strands). I have a pair of Delrays and I wear them often. BTW, AE is having a Memorial Day sale starting today on all factory 2nd and closeout shoes. Just email the AE Shoebank and ask what they have in your size.
Fred

Thanks for the input. I prefer lace ups, and don't wear loafers often, but I have recently been drawn to Alden's cordovan LHS. Not sure I want to spend that much though. I do like the Delray and Kenilworth, and maybe also the Bradley and Leeds for a split toe and plain toe blucher. I think I might start regularly wearing the Strands, but I agree that it would be nice to have some shoes that are less showy/brogued. I emailed the shoe bank, so I'll see what they have.
Edited by Papa Doble - 5/15/12 at 11:28am
post #4 of 26
I'd look at including a black calf brogue (standard or longwing either oxford or derby) in your collection for daytime work wear and maybe a chelsea boot if that is your thing. Good basic selection in place already though as far as I can see,
post #5 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagnelifestylenomoney View Post

I'd look at including a black calf brogue (standard or longwing either oxford or derby) in your collection for daytime work wear and maybe a chelsea boot if that is your thing. Good basic selection in place already though as far as I can see,

I think for now I'm going to stick with one black shoe, at least until I have a couple more in brown and burgundy. I like the idea of chelsea boots, but I'm not sure that they're my thing.
post #6 of 26

It sounds like your job doesn't require highly formal dress.  If it were more formal, I would get a brown semi-brogue with closed lacing.

 

To tone down the formality, maybe a similar shoe but with open lacing?  Good opportunity to try a different brand, too.
 

post #7 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by yls2012 View Post

It sounds like your job doesn't require highly formal dress.  If it were more formal, I would get a brown semi-brogue with closed lacing.

To tone down the formality, maybe a similar shoe but with open lacing?  Good opportunity to try a different brand, too.

Right, I think another balmoral/closed lacing shoe isn't the way to go at this point. A brogued blucher/open lacing shoe could be a good choice. I'm not a big fan of captoe bluchers, but a short or longwing is up my alley.
post #8 of 26

I actually have a similar job as well as a similar collection (Black Fifth Aves, Suede Players, Walnut Players).  I think, as mentioned above, that a dark brown or chili could serve you well next.  Maybe a pair of dark brown cliftons?

post #9 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aglass View Post

I actually have a similar job as well as a similar collection (Black Fifth Aves, Suede Players, Walnut Players).  I think, as mentioned above, that a dark brown or chili could serve you well next.  Maybe a pair of dark brown cliftons?

Captoe bluchers aren't a favorite style of mine, but Cliftons are certainly good looking -- I'll consider them. I think I'll stick with dark brown or burgundy as opposed to chili, at least for the next pair. Thanks for the input.
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Doble View Post

I'm seeking advice on the next couple pairs of shoes I should add to my collection below. My workplace is truly casual (some even wear shorts in the summer), so I am at the upper end of formality if I wear chinos and a dress shirt, which is what I usually wear (or jeans). I do wear suits and sport coats occasionally outside of work, though I think for now I am covered for wear with suits. Obviously, big gaps in my collection are bluchers and loafers, and brown and burgundy calf or cordovan. I recently acquired and still haven't worn the Neumoks and Amoks, which I realize are perhaps not as essential at the moment. However, they were both good deals and fit well. Anyway, the styles I am considering are penny loafers, plain toe bluchers, longwing bluchers, and split toe bluchers, but please advise.
261
Left to Right
  • AE Neumok in snuff suede: Haven't worn these yet, but I really like them and they are very comfortable. I was initially worried that they were too close to the Strands, but I think they are sufficiently different.
  • AE Strand in walnut calf: Don't have the guts yet to wear to work, which is a shame, because they are my favorite pair and fit perfectly. Have been great for wear with light colored suits and chinos.
  • AE Park Avenue in black calf: Have served me well for my wedding and a bunch of interviews.

312
Left to Right
  • AE Amok in chocolate suede: Would've preferred a dainite sole, but they were cheap ($99) and look good in my opinion. Haven't worn yet.
  • Chippewa Katahdin: Have been great winter boots.
  • Sperry Top-Sider: Wear these on the weekends, and yes, even to work.
I also have a really crappy pair of boots I wear in the snow, and a pair of tassel loafers that I am going to get rid of soon, so I didn't bother including them.

Since you seem to like AE I'd recommend these-

 

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF1607_1_40000000001_-1

 

 

and this for a laceup

 

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF8005_1_40000000001_-1

 

They can both be worn for work or leisure and are both very comfortable. I notice that you have a boat shoe there and always reccomend that you buy the best shoe available in this style so you have the right support.

post #11 of 26

The burgundy shell cordovan Leeds is a nice shoe, and is a plain-toe blucher.

post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

The burgundy shell cordovan Leeds is a nice shoe, and is a plain-toe blucher.

It's also a double soled heavier shoe. facepalm.gif

post #13 of 26
IMAG0416.jpg

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif


My advice to you and me is loafers. I need to add a pair of loafers to my rotation. They are casual enough and can be dressed up with trousers
post #14 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinkapur View Post

My advice to you and me is loafers. I need to add a pair of loafers to my rotation. They are casual enough and can be dressed up with trousers

I agree that at least one pair of loafers are in order.
post #15 of 26

Your shoe wardrobe is fairly complete in both varieties and colors.

 

I would add:

 

U-tip (EG Dover, GG Hoove, etc)

Double Monk (JL William, etc)

Chelsea (RM Weilliams)

 

in that order.

 

Austerity brogue or quarter brogue shoes are probably too formal for your casual environment.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Advice on shoes to add to collection